Good old angling quotes

D3Smartie

From “A River Runs Through It“ by Norman Maclean:

“Eventually, all things merge into one and a river flows through it.

”I am haunted by waters”

Like Maclean, the older I get I am haunted by memories which, like the waters, run deep. The waters have always been a part of my life and are inextricately linked in my mind, both good and bad. Eventually, they all merge into our being.

A favorite of mine no doubt... I just like to add the rest of it

Then in the Arctic half-light of the canyon, all existence fades to a being with my soul and memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise. Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

D3Smartie

That's the book of Hemingway fishing stories that I couldn't remember the name of, thanks!
It was my dad's favorite so i read it a lot growing up. For some reason, having never been there, I can still picture in my mind Nick cresting a hill and seeing the big river snaking through the trees in the distance. Might have to go give it a read tonight!

Reactions: Zak

cingras53

Pursuer of trout, stripers, grouse and turkey
"It's time to call in the dogs and piss on the fire"
Bucky Sterns
-Neversink River 9:30 pm

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
"If you can't catch 'em with a woolly bugger, they can't be caught! " - One of my fishin' buddies.

"It's the worst I've ever seen it!" - Same buddy if you ask him about the fishing.

Zak

WFF Supporter
A couple from Gierach's Good Flies:

"I've decided that many of the fine points of fly tying are lost on the fish."

"Lots of different flies began to look like insurance policies against getting skunked, but then there were still those guys with white hair sticking out from beneath dented cowboy hats who could fish a Size 12 Rio Grande King through a hatch of No. 22 Blue-Winged Olives and catch trout. They reminded me of mountain lions: I didn't see them often, but when I did they made a big impression."

CreekScrambler

A couple from Gierach's Good Flies:

Every time I thumb through Good Flies, I’m convinced I should pour a beer for Gierach to go along with the beer I just poured for myself. That book is a cover-to-cover treatise on good fishing vibes.

Dave Boyle

“That’ll never work”

“Looks Ok to me...”

One ended in a madly great day, the other in pain and near death.

Dave

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts