Rechargeable hand warmers

Yard Sale

Huge Member
Anybody on this yet? As fly swinger I have plenty of pocket time. I use the warmers Toe Warmers a lot but that feels wasteful. Looks like there is a whole market of rechargeable warmers out there. Any issues/suggestions? My main concern is I'd be using these in the rain and I'd be bringing water into my pocket each cast.

NOT looking for glove advice, I've been through all the options. Just wondering what people are doing for pocket warmers....

blackgrass

WFF Supporter
I got one for Christmas...it was maybe $20 off amazon. It gets hot as hell. You can use it to charge a phone and it might even jump start your car.
It seems pretty handy but something about how hot it gets kind of concerns me. We have all read the stories about e-cigs exploding in someone’s pocket, if this thing goes you might lose a hand.

It does get hot, did I mention that? My major beef is the led display is really hard to read in the sunlight...forget about it with polarized glasses.

CreekScrambler

I debated these for a recent trip, but decided that ye olde HotHands slipped under a nitrile and a fingerless wool glove was better. I’d be BUMMED if I dropped a battery in the river or somewhere along the trail

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
I'm considering something like that for my feet while musky fishing in the winter (always dangling in the water). So far, I've had great success with the disposable variety, but it would be nice to have something a little less, well, disposable.

Riogrande King

WFF Supporter
Got a kidney-shaped Zippo brand rechargeable a few years ago. It was on sale somewhere. It heats very well for about 5-hours on one of the middle settings. As blackgrass mentioned the uppermost setting is pretty extreme.

Overall a pretty handy (see what I did there?) device. If it lasted all day somewhere in the middle range I would be even happier with it.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
I have been using them for a couple years now on the sound during the winter. I originally bought one off Amazon, around 20 bucks. It was the greatest thing ever. Heated up super quick, could turn it on for a few minutes to get warm then right back off to conserve battery. The battery was pretty impressive. Would run non stop for about 6 hours if I didn't turn it off. Got plenty hot.

My only complaint was durability. It lasted about one winter before it gave up the ghost. Granted I used it a ton and didn't treat it well. When it died I bought another. Very handy product and I much prefer if over the old school type of warmers.

When my current one dies, I'll buy another for sure.

GOTY

9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
I use the zippos and electric. Both have their uses.

Electric are great for on demand heat and simplicity. If you're just headed out for the day and want a powerful hand warmer they are tough to beat. Also double as a cell phone charger if you are in a pinch. As Nick noted though durability isn't great. Also, once they are dead you can't use them again until you plug them in for a few hours....fine for day trips but for multi day trips they have their limits. They are also much heavier and bulkier than the zippos, which is a downside if you're stuffing a few of them in pockets and stuff.

The zippos are my favorite. Take a few minutes to light each morning but once going it's a solid 12 hours of heat. On cold days I'll use as many as 4....throw one in each pant pocket (feet stay sooooo much warmer doing this) and a few in my waders or coat to use for my hands. On multi day trips they are the bees knees since you reload then with lighter fluid instead of having to plug them in. To your question, in theory they are more weatherproof than the electrics too.....water and usb ports don't mix well.

Good old hot hands are fine too.......

Ace

Try the Celestron Elements Thermocharge - $27. Originally designed for outdoor photographers, so rugged and reasonably water resistant. USB charged, doesn't get too hot and can charge your phone in a pinch. Lasts about six hours.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
Anybody on this yet? As fly swinger I have plenty of pocket time. I use the warmers Toe Warmers a lot but that feels wasteful. Looks like there is a whole market of rechargeable warmers out there. Any issues/suggestions? My main concern is I'd be using these in the rain and I'd be bringing water into my pocket each cast.

NOT looking for glove advice, I've been through all the options. Just wondering what people are doing for pocket warmers....
Back in the early 1970s I was in a USAF NORAD fighter squadron and my brothers were in the Army stationed in Germany. One was an Armored Cav Scout stationed near Bad Hersfeld, and the other a motorpool mechanic 230 km away in Ansbach. One year I sent them both wool electric socks for Christmas. Each sock had a battery pouch at the top for a single D cell battery.
I got a letter back from the mechanic brother that while in formation standing inspection he was asked by the maintenance platoon commander "What are those bulges in your trousers soldier?" "Batteries sir." "What for?" Electric socks sir." He said snickers went up through the formation.

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
I really want some electric socks, for my wife. She turns blue after a few minutes in the water, even during summer. It really limits her enjoyment. However, I haven't been able to find any that are waterproof and that is a necessity. Lithium ion batteries are not something I want around water, unless I'm really confident in the product.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts