First build recommendation

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
I hope you post updates on your build. I recently picked up an 8wt NFC Iconoglass blank along with an NFC 5wt graphite blank which I'll be building with a lot of help from a member here. These will be my first builds as well.

Cheers!

Mark Kadoshima

Good luck, should be a great rod for you.
Here is my review of the Kabuto I wrapped. Still the best 4wt I’ve ever fished.
https://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/149613/
I remember reading your original post and really like the look of those unsanded blanks. I know this sounds sort of odd coming from a guy with Japanese ancestry, but I like the idea of keeping my first rod a 'built in the USA' blank, and especially like it that it's from a small business. If I manage not to screw up this build and actually like fishing with glass, then I will definitely be doing a 4 wt from Kabuto. A nice Japanese blank would seem to round out the armament well... : )

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
Man, if I fished lighter lines more often, a Kab would be near the top of my list (probably along with another Steffen, but he's retiring).

Again, can't wait to see your build, Mark.

Mark Kadoshima

Man, if I fished lighter lines more often, a Kab would be near the top of my list (probably along with another Steffen, but he's retiring).

Again, can't wait to see your build, Mark.
Assuming I get more comfortable uploading pics, I definitely will. The looks of a rod has never been a really high point for me in choosing one, but if I'm not making the blank...then an ugly rod takes just as much work as a good looking one : ). I've been checking out other builds to see what seems attractive. I've noticed the ones with a fish attached to them seem to look the best!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info