Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

First build recommendation

Rod Building 
3K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Tom House 
#1 ·
I'd like to try my hand at a fiberglass rod. Any recs as far as which rod is most fun and blanks? Cost of the blank really isn't a consideration...more quality. I'm sort of thinking a 6 wt bass rod....or a 4wt small stream rod (although I can make bamboo rods for that)....or a muskie rod???? Stillwater rod???
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Mark

#2 ·
Hello, the North Fork Composites 7'6" 4 wt. is a fine rod and would be great for creek fishing. CTS has a great line of glass blanks, their 8'6" 5 and 6 wts. are great warm and Stillwater rods. But my all time favorite glass is from Dusty Smith at Livingston rods. He has a full line of blanks in E and S glass from soft 3 wts. to wonderful medium fast 4 thru 7 wts. for more big water fishing. Blue Halo also has a nice Line of blanks that cast and fish very well. Good luck with your search!

#4 ·
Can you shed some enlightenment as far as 'E' vs 'S' glass?
Thanks,
Mark
E glass has a lower modules than S glass and tends to be a little heavier. S glass fibers are slightly stiffer. But fine rods are built with both materials. Mike McFarland whom I failed to mention also makes outstanding glass and has a line rods/ blanks, the GTX series he rolls with a combination of E and S glass. Dusty at Livingston rods, YS series is a combination of 80% E glass and 20% low modules graphite. So makers are doing great things with both materials. If your interested go to fiberglass fly rodders the entire site is all about the use of old and new glass rods. There are threads that explain E vs S glass much better than I did.

#7 ·
My first bamboo rod is fishable...but definitely a first rod. Later rods turned out significantly better both functionally and esthetically.
Should I get a 'novice' first build or since I feel pretty comfortable wrapping and placing reel seats etc....can I probably go for it. Some of the blanks are more than others....so just wondering.
Thanks for all the help.
Mark

#18 ·
Good luck, should be a great rod for you.
Here is my review of the Kabuto I wrapped. Still the best 4wt I've ever fished.
https://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/149613/
I remember reading your original post and really like the look of those unsanded blanks. I know this sounds sort of odd coming from a guy with Japanese ancestry, but I like the idea of keeping my first rod a 'built in the USA' blank, and especially like it that it's from a small business. If I manage not to screw up this build and actually like fishing with glass, then I will definitely be doing a 4 wt from Kabuto. A nice Japanese blank would seem to round out the armament well... : )

#20 ·
Assuming I get more comfortable uploading pics, I definitely will. The looks of a rod has never been a really high point for me in choosing one, but if I'm not making the blank...then an ugly rod takes just as much work as a good looking one : ). I've been checking out other builds to see what seems attractive. I've noticed the ones with a fish attached to them seem to look the best!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.