Multi day Grass and Glass Gathering

Mark Kadoshima

Can't be too early with the organizing. I really like the Bend area as there are so many options around there. Probably during the summer....but if any other ideas...let's get them out there.
Thinking three to four days. Real relaxed atmosphere....people can join and leave as they see fit. Is there a security issue as far as the rods go when other people try them out? We don't want any missing rods at the end of the day.
Mainly thinking good BS, moderate but good alcohol, great food, and great memories. Also some good trading of ideas as to rod building.
Hope for some good input.
If anyone else wants to take the lead....please feel free to PM me.
Mark

Griswald

a.k.a. Griswald
There used to be a Bamboo Rod fair near Camp Sherman on the Metolius, but I do not know if they do this any more.

Bonsai

Jerry
Mark I am tied up with a fishing trip from 6/04/21 thru 6/10/21. I would appreciate a week break on either side. We can still do a Bamboo Fling here locally if there is enough interest. The gathering at Camp Sherman has not been held for several years because a permit issue.

Mark Kadoshima

Anybody been to Little Lava Lake campground? On google maps satellite, looks like it has an open area and the Deschutes is also very close by.

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
Anybody been to Little Lava Lake campground? On google maps satellite, looks like it has an open area and the Deschutes is also very close by.
Nice little campground, but fills up fast - it is actually the source of the Upper D and usually you can fish a stretch right at the campsite (I say usually because last year it was dry), last year the upper D was purely spring fed.

- I was actually thinking Cow Meadow down at the other end, its where the Upper D empties into Crane Prairie - often less crowded than Little Lava. Pretty/very shady, and if I recall, some open spaces.

I was also going to suggest after Labor Day, fewer crowds, but if too late, hunting will probably have the whole CG.

Cheers

para_adams

Yes, but it was sometime around 1993, don’t remember too much. But the upper Deschutes, Hosmer, Lava Lake, Crane Prairie, Fall River and more are all within 1/2 hour or less.

Mark Kadoshima

Cow Meadow campground seems pretty ideal. Both stream and lake access. Sounds like a winner. I'll see if there are problems with a group. I'm going to check on timing based on anyone interested on maybe doing a presentation.

Reactions: et

Mark Kadoshima

I guess Cow Meadow is probably too small. Tumalo will have tent sites available but weekends are filling up fast. I've got an inquiry to the Oregon state parks dept to see if they have any suggestions.
Dave Dozer and his wife Mary Ann have stated that they would be willing to put on a casting clinic for slow rods such and bamboo and glass. He's also an accomplished rod builder. Dave is willing to put on a few presentations on rod building that sound great.
Now just have to find a place.

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
Cow meadow has 18 sites and they are quite well spaced, ie, multiple tens (even RVs?) in 1 site. Not sure if there is a site host there.

Tumalo can be a madhouse with a rubber raft hatch depending on time of year.

Dave Dozer is a really good builder Mary Ann is a certified casting instructor - would be great to have them wherever and whenever this might end up.

cheers

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts