WTB Seeking 18 foot, open style boat

JD7

Kind of a long shot here but looking for a 18 foot open tiller style boat. Will be a bit of a do everything boat from crabbing at the coast, chasing salmon and shad in rivers and a lot of stillwater fly fishing. Used boat market is really tough right now with low inventory and high prices so I'm trying to cast a wide net. Regular honest folks hoping to deal with same. Located in PDX area but will drive for the right boat.

JD7

Josh,
Let me know what you are trying to find- project or ready to fish? Traditional low side, forward steering with a big motor or something else? Budget? I am looking at boats in a lot of places and can keep looking down here for something.JD

DenWor54

I might have what your looking for, I have a 18ft Lund Alaskan with a 40 hp and crab pot. I has sat for a long time and i’m moving to a sled. I can only have one boat so my better half said for me to get the sled if have to find a home for my other boat. Pm me if you want pics but I’m not in any hurry if you want to check it out it’s in Bellevue wa.

JD7

I might have what your looking for, I have a 18ft Lund Alaskan with a 40 hp and crab pot. I has sat for a long time and i’m moving to a sled. I can only have one boat so my better half said for me to get the sled if have to find a home for my other boat. Pm me if you want pics but I’m not in any hurry if you want to check it out it’s in Bellevue wa.
HI Den,
I think you and I might be shopping for something similar! We had an old windshield boat that just wasn't right for our needs- wasted space, hard to fly cast, never went in rough water so didn't need the windshield, hard to access the bow. We are hoping to find something from one of the mainstream NW boatmakers- Alumaweld, Koffler, North River, Willie, Duckworth...

(PS. How big of a boat are you looking for? I have seen a couple really good 20 footers down here but I can't fit a 20 in our covered storage.)

Josh

dead in the water
WFF Moderator
Josh,
Let me know what you are trying to find- project or ready to fish? Traditional low side, forward steering with a big motor or something else? Budget? I am looking at boats in a lot of places and can keep looking down here for something.JD
While a project would be fun, probably not going to happen at this point. So I'm looking for a basic ready to fish boat. Not the fancy fiberglass with a 200hp on the back. Those are cool and all, but more than I need or can afford.

I'm hunting for something along the lines of an aluminium Tracker with a 50 horse.

JD7

Got it. I will keep eyes open. How big of a boat can you buy/store? There actually have been some pretty decent jonboat style rigs for sale recently. I saw a good one on Facebook Marketplace just within the last few weeks. If I can find it I will send your way.

dp

~El Pescador
I too hope to be in this market soon.
18-20 foot Aluminum - older boat is fine
main tiller motor (125-200 hp - can be prop or pump), plus kicker.
want to add fishing the Columbia and rivers to my arsenal. plus saltwater action.
does not need to be used for Fly fishing. This will be a meat boat!

JD7

I too hope to be in this market soon.
18-20 foot Aluminum - older boat is fine
main tiller motor (125-200 hp - can be prop or pump), plus kicker.
want to add fishing the Columbia and rivers to my arsenal. plus saltwater action.
does not need to be used for Fly fishing. This will be a meat boat!
Hey, just don't buy MY perfect boat. (If I see a great 20 footer with big motor I will let you know)
Next year I want to figure out the shad thing too.

JD7

While a project would be fun, probably not going to happen at this point. So I'm looking for a basic ready to fish boat. Not the fancy fiberglass with a 200hp on the back. Those are cool and all, but more than I need or can afford.

I'm hunting for something along the lines of an aluminium Tracker with a 50 horse.
Josh, This boat could fit a lot of uses. He said he would take 8500.

LCnSac

John or "LC"
That's an interesting boat. I've heard those G3's are solid.
G3 1756 with a 30 hp jet won't get out of its own way with any wind or chop with two guys and some traps. My buddy runs a G3 1648 with a 60/40 jet Yami and we need every bit of that on some rivers.

What you are looking for is very common down here in NorCal. I don't like the 3 degree deadrise some of them have but the G3 Gator Tough and Lowe Roughneck are very popular. I think most of the guys use a 60 tiller. They are very hard to find used as they get repowered and sold to friends, etc., but if I didn't have my Whaler it's probably what I would have.

They are mid grade boats, both made in the Midwest. A Northwest built boat will be infinitely more sturdy, but you'll need extra ponies and they are going to cost much more than the factory tins.

Budget $18k new with electronics and salt water electric trolling motor.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts