WTB Seeking 18 foot, open style boat

JD7

Also would consider a "fixer" boat as long as the issues were not too deep in the outboards. Cosmetic stuff is just "meh" to us if the hull is sound and motors maintained

JD7

Who knew there were boat flippers? Apparently the used boat market is so hot right now guys are making flipping boats a thing. Sunday afternoon a nice open boat was posted near Chehalis. I contacted the seller and we agreed to talk the next morning on the phone. I called and the boat was sold. His list price was 16,500. Last night the same boat (same registration #s) was posted online here in Oregon for 24,000. It isn't worth that but guy can probably sell for 20. Going to be a tough market for "regular" guys just trying to find a boat to fish.

steelheadr99

Who knew there were boat flippers? Apparently the used boat market is so hot right now guys are making flipping boats a thing. Sunday afternoon a nice open boat was posted near Chehalis. I contacted the seller and we agreed to talk the next morning on the phone. I called and the boat was sold. His list price was 16,500. Last night the same boat (same registration #s) was posted online here in Oregon for 24,000. It isn't worth that but guy can probably sell for 20. Going to be a tough market for "regular" guys just trying to find a boat to fish.
That sucks, It does make it tough if that's what is going on.

JayB

Suspect there'll be a pretty significant opportunity for buyers in 3-4 years when new buyers figure out what's involved in boat ownership. Hoping the same'll happen for RV's when people figure out that part of owernship is opening up your tool-chest or your wallet to fix them on a regular basis....

ffb

Suspect there'll be a pretty significant opportunity for buyers in 3-4 years when new buyers figure out what's involved in boat ownership. Hoping the same'll happen for RV's when people figure out that part of owernship is opening up your tool-chest or your wallet to fix them on a regular basis....
Absolutely. I bought a little 15ft center console around the beginning of covid for about $3500. Got a ton of use out of it over the summer and fall before the problems started. Now I have another $5k+ into it between new trailer and replacement used outboard, and it's still not quite right as I am redoing the entire fuel system in it. Came real close to dumping it but I love the stupid boat too much. Plus if I were to "upgrade" I wouldn't be able to afford anything like what I'd want especially with prices these days. Luckily I'm mechanically inclined so have saved a fair bit on doing some of my own work at least.

aplTyler

Inept Steelheader
I'm in the same place as you and noticed the same trend. It started last summer with more and more guys flipping boats. Some were flipping them practically overnight (especially with drift boats, but a few power boats too), so I'd guess they're just floating the title.

A Free Drifter here in Vancouver sold for 20k in about a week on CL. About a month and a half later, it's for sale in Eugene for $26k. Craziness.

I almost bought a used Free Drifter from Stevens, but it's not really enough of a size upgrade for me to drop what they wanted on it, and there was NO flexibility on price. Shoot... a better spec'd Free Drifter at the dealer was $4k less last summer.

I've been planning to sell my welded 2015 Pro Lodge 16'6" open boat (Honda 40 and Yamaha 8hp) this summer after my kokanee and lake fly fishing season slows down and before salmon gets going. I can just fish on my buddies boats during the fall season and not deal with launch lines and crowds.

I've been wanting to upgrade so I figure I'll sell in peak season and hope and pray folks start to sell their boats in the winter and spring. One thing I'm going to do is make sure I don't settle on something that isn't quite right unless it's a bargain.

Last edited:

JD7

Totally hear you “don’t settle on something that isn’t quite right.” This buying frenzy almost makes a guy want to have “something” even if it isn’t exactly right. I was really close myself to buying something that had the wrong main motor just so I had a boat. Like you, I have an option (old driftboat) I can use for most things and then fish with friends. Boats are toys.

Charlie B

Kind of a long shot here but looking for a 18 foot open tiller style boat. Will be a bit of a do everything boat from crabbing at the coast, chasing salmon and shad in rivers and a lot of stillwater fly fishing. Used boat market is really tough right now with low inventory and high prices so I'm trying to cast a wide net. Regular honest folks hoping to deal with same. Located in PDX area but will drive for the right boat.
I have a 20 ft custom Koffler boat with a center console. Interesting story.....The boat was designed by me specifically for fly fishing. too much to list... but here are the highlights........Decks front and back with rod storage to carry 16 strung ready to fish fly rods. Honda 150 prop with 200 +/- hours . fish finder, 101 # riptide auto pilot electric troller foot pedal control and remote . Sea Deck on all flat surfaces. Garage kept. In Ca.

JD7

I have a 20 ft custom Koffler boat with a center console. Interesting story.....The boat was designed by me specifically for fly fishing. too much to list... but here are the highlights........Decks front and back with rod storage to carry 16 strung ready to fish fly rods. Honda 150 prop with 200 +/- hours . fish finder, 101 # riptide auto pilot electric troller foot pedal control and remote . Sea Deck on all flat surfaces. Garage kept. In Ca.
Thanks Charlie. I will send you a PM.

JayB

Not a buyer but I'd love to see some pics.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts