Missouri fishing

DerekWhipple

There are some people who think socializing and being around a bunch of strangers is part of fishing. When I fish with friends, sometimes we will fish pretty close to each other, but I know those people and I like their company. I really have no idea what drives someone to make the trip to a huge river with miles of open bank, only to park right next to a strangers car in a pullout, hike down the trail and start fishing within a rods length of you. That's happened to me on the Deschutes.

I think a bunch of those folks also want to catch a fish in front of someone else.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
I really have no idea what drives someone to make the trip to a huge river with miles of open bank, only to park right next to a strangers car in a pullout, hike down the trail and start fishing within a rods length of you. That's happened to me on the Deschutes.

I think a bunch of those folks also want to catch a fish in front of someone else.
No, it's not that at all. They see long stretches of open bank and then see a fishing rig parked. They think, "Well, there's someone who knows a good fishing spot." So, not wanting to take a chance on a bad fishing spot, they park next to you and hike down and fish next to you. Cuz you must know where the good fishin' spots are!

DerekWhipple

No, it's not that at all. They see long stretches of open bank and then see a fishing rig parked. They think, "Well, there's someone who knows a good fishing spot." So, not wanting to take a chance on a bad fishing spot, they park next to you and hike down and fish next to you. Cuz you must know where the good fishin' spots are!
Joke's on them! Hope they like suckers and whitefish!

CreekScrambler

That only explains the lone ding dong who shows up in an otherwise empty place to fish right next to our protagonist. The giant lines of ding dongs are there because each one thinks that he’s gonna put on a clinic to the envy of the other ding dongs. Why on earth would rows of anglers line up like that? Pride. Anybody who actually wanted to fish would beat it outta there in a hot second!

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
That only explains the lone ding dong who shows up in an otherwise empty place to fish right next to our protagonist. The giant lines of ding dongs are there because each one thinks that he’s gonna put on a clinic to the envy of the other ding dongs. Why on earth would rows of anglers line up like that? Pride. Anybody who actually wanted to fish would beat it outta there in a hot second!
I think the large crowds of anglers show up in one spot like that because that's where the hatchery truck dumped a load of trout that have not yet dispersed.

blackgrass

WFF Supporter
Not quite the same thing, but I remember being bowled over by the smell crossing over the Mississippi from Tennessee to Arkansas. In February. The hog farm stench didn’t let up until I was about a third of the way through the state. Can’t imagine what the rivers are like if Missouri is anything like AR.
Arkansas has a few of the best brown trout fisheries in the US. Open year round and none of the trout park madness shown in the photo.

Old406Kid

Arkansas has a few of the best brown trout fisheries in the US. Open year round and none of the trout park madness shown in the photo.
I recently heard that they're offering people 10,000$ to move there.
After fishing there and looking at real estate prices it's somewhat tempting.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
I think the large crowds of anglers show up in one spot like that because that's where the hatchery truck dumped a load of trout that have not yet dispersed.
To this day one of boys brightest memories is of flicking a mepps for trout after stocking. He came running down the street "the hatchery truck drove by". I remember days on Lake 12 same way. Good foundations to build on.

CreekScrambler

Ok, I’ll concede. All the best to the hatchery truck crowds. As long as everybody is having a good time, it’s no skin off anyone’s back.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
Admittedly not my preference for fishing either but last year the same thing came up and I saw a couple of videos of these opening day "events"; one from a participant and one from a TV news outlet. In the TV news video, people they interviewed had braved very icy roads in darkness to be there when the "whistle" went off. It was an all ages event. The F&G LEs were there, there was a nearby church doing a pancake breakfast and serving up hot coffee and cocoa. The crowds were unified, doing something they all enjoy tremendously, together. Imagine that!

Last edited:

triploidjunkie

About a decade ago, when I first met my wife, I had a trip down to Arkansas planned out. The look on my wife's face when I told her where I was taking my getaway! She has lots of dirt poor relatives down there that still use outhouses. She couldn't figure out why I would want to go there.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts