Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

45-70 lever

2K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  nwbobber 
#1 ·
... I’m interested in a Henry 45-70 X model, can anyone spit a few words about your experience if you have some with a 45-70 lever? The tracker style shorter barrel is also an option I like. Thanks for your info in advance.

#5 · (Edited)
I used to carry a Marlin 45/70 at work on streams in AK. Wild West Guns in Anchorage has some really nice mods for the Marlin. I added an aluminum magazine follower (factory model is plastic), heavy-duty ejector and trigger upgrade to mine. Simple enoughThere are some pretty hot loads available off the shelf, see Buffalo Bore or Garret Ammunition (540 grain loads! Ugh!) for examples. Some of the marlins were really shoddy after the company was sold a few years ago but quality has returned from what I've heard. As stated above they drop a lot at even moderate range but that's really not its element. Sorry, no info on the Henry. I do know that you can empty the magazine on the Henry without cycling the action, a very big plus IMO.

#6 ·
It’s hard to beat a Henry. Made in the USA and warrantied for life. The X is pretty set up and versatile. Drilled and tapped, 4 round tube and side loading gate for quick reloads, M-lock on the forearm. You can load milder loads to tame the recoil. I’m set up for it if you can find components, I can help. I’m curious of your intended use Jeff...

#9 ·
It's hard to beat a Henry. Made in the USA and warrantied for life. The X is pretty set up and versatile. Drilled and tapped, 4 round tube and side loading gate for quick reloads, M-lock on the forearm. You can load milder loads to tame the recoil. I'm set up for it if you can find components, I can help. I'm curious of your intended use Jeff...
Honestly, I have a lot of check marks in the "want" box but no check marks in the "need" box...it's just one of the firearms I've always wanted to have but have no need for. My Winchester can do anything this 45-70 could but man they sure do look sweet!!!! I love the lever action rifles, big fan.

#8 ·
I have a Marlin. I think the recoil is very manageable, albeit with the stock hard rubber recoil plate it was uncomfortable. I put a decelerator pad on it, and I can shoot it all day with that. I like that I can cast bullets for it and having a straight case they can be reloaded many times. If you shoot at steel it makes a satisfying ***. If you ever did want to hunt with it, there is really nothing you can't hunt with it effectively.
Older Marlins had microgroove rifling, which is not so good for cast bullets, so watch out for that. I can't give you anything regarding the Henry, but I assume that they are made to modern standards, allowing you to use loads with higher energy than could be used in older firearms designed for black powder.

#18 ·
Methinks those going on about the monstrous recoil have never shot one. Compare it to a twelve gauge. Of course I have never shot one of those guide guns with the short barrels... they might be worse than mine, and I have pursued the highest velocities recommended for the marlin. Still I enjoy shooting it, and have not heard a complaint from anyone. Buy it with a recoil pad on it, or put one on, and shoot the heck out of it. Shoot presto logs.... super fun reactive target.

#20 ·
583 grains per ounce, velocity is definitely a factor. Us govt loads were 405 grain, I bought a mold for those, at 1800 FPS more or less, was not uncomfortable to deal with. I shoot jacketed 300 grain as the velocity is pushing beyond what I would like to shoot lead. Less recoil with the 300’s.

#21 ·
Marlin makes a .444 as well, not as sexy as .45-70, but a cool round anyway. I never founfd the .45-70 excessive, but I shot factory loads, most of which are not performance rounds. I also would recommend skipping an optic: iron sights are fine at the ranges you would shoot. Henry’s are very attractive, in any event big caliber guns are fun.

#23 · (Edited)
Own a Marlin stainless Guide gun ( 7 lbs w/ an 18 1/2 in bbl) cause I'm left handed and also used it for hunting elk where grizzly bears are.

Never had a problem, but to digress, there are places in MT, WY and ID where bears habituate to a gunshot, learning that some gunshots might lead to a gut pile.

A large loop lever, a peep site, better trigger and one piece extractor are worth while aftermarket options. It's a short range rifle 100-150 yds, had a scope, took it off.

Factory loads from Remington and WW are mild, but as mentioned above Buffalo Bore and Garret makes some hot loads with thick jacketed bullets that are not mild.

Recoil, most won't sit down at a bench and shoot 10 3 shot groups.
If you can shoot a 3 inch magnum 12 gauge goose load you probably won't have any problem with a 45-70.

Powder manufacturers have good loading data on their websites. Handloading makes this into a really versatile cartridge for elk.

#25 ·
In heavy timber where your shot is more likely on the order of 100 feet than 100 yards and you might get a visit from Mr. Fuzzy, I'd much prefer it to your 270. A rifle that handles quickly, has fast follow up if needed and throws a big bullet is a good choice in heavy cover with or without bears. I know folks who use them to shoot little blacktails.

#26 ·
selecting when to shoot and when to pass is not difficult. hunting in brush is an art form and requires more passing up shots than taking them. i am all about single bullet kill shots, bamm and down. that means i will pass up a shot if i can't accomplish my objective. brownies in the vicinity require a different mindset no matter the caliber, you had better be a dead eye because they are built on the same blueprint as the A1 Abrams tank.

3" 12 gauge magnums do not automatically get you geese. probably 1 guy in a hundred understands pass shooting. goose hunting is totally about location. we rented 512 acre grass field with about 100 acres that had been planted in barley. we went from 12 to 20 to 28 to 410 as the shooting became so boring. and one other pointer, never shoot at incoming geese, you can hear your shot rattling off of their breast feathers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.