BC lakes in 2021

Old Trout11

Don't count on the border opening up anytime soon.
Thanks for making my morning. One trip has been canceled and I'm not counting on June, August or Oct. May look into Idaho. We have been thinking of moving off the Left Coast lately. Just stay safe.

easywater

Fished Sawmill (near the border) from Monday to Monday (today).

Caught about 15 fish but it should have been about 10 a day.
It was very cold still - ice off happened about 15 days before I got there.

The first night was about -8C (about 18F) but it got progressively warmer.
Water started out at 44F last Monday but went up to 58F yesterday.

Caught a few nice fish - BC stocks some lakes with a "Fraser Valley" strain of fish.
Nice looking fish with lots of colour and spots but they tend to sit on the bottom when hooked.

The prime fish is the "Pennask" trout from a high mountain lake - all chrome.

Here's a couple of FV fish - net opening is 18 inches.

Couldn't get a good pic of the big one with the stripe but it was about 4 or 5 lbs.

Attachments

• DSCN2070_sm.jpg
    DSCN2070_sm.jpg
    891.7 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN2077_sm.jpg
    DSCN2077_sm.jpg
    698.7 KB · Views: 34

BDD

@easywater

Let me see if I understand...you fished a week and caught 15 fish (about 2 per day) but should have averaged 10 per day? Is this based on past history there? Or the timing with ice coming off? Or not having the right flies? Just curious what you meant by that remark.

I have fished that lake twice and averaged about 2 fish per day. Once was well past the prime, fishing all by myself and drug up a couple on full sinking vertical line presentation in warm water and the fish were hogs. The other time was prime time in the spring with like 20 other boats. Nobody was doing much of anything. Incorporating the same techniques I use elsewhere, I would have thought I'd have a banner day but it was not to be. I would have felt worse but nobody else on the lake seemed to have it figured out either.

I hope one day to travel north across the border again and fish.

BDD

@onefish Well that is just disappointing on many of levels, least of which is my desire to travel north and fish at some time in the future. I would be really interested how this has happened when Canada has been pretty restrictive regarding travel, both in and out of the country and even even within individual provinces.

S.O.S.Canada

Airports
@onefish Well that is just disappointing on many of levels, least of which is my desire to travel north and fish at some time in the future. I would be really interested how this has happened when Canada has been pretty restrictive regarding travel, both in and out of the country and even even within individual provinces.
Airports and the brilliant and unenforceable plan of "quarantine hotel" on arrival.... those clever mathematicians coming in figured out that a 750 ticket equals less than a 2-3000 dollar stay

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
Yup, #1 son in Vancouver also noted most are opting for the fine over the quarantine, then not paying the fine. Also, a lot of flights still coming in from India, so who nows what variants are landing in Vancouver. He manages a restaurant/bar, I'm just hoping he stays safe.

cheers

BDD

I was not aware of the international flights coming in or the hotel quarantine/fine issue. The vaccination issue that @suckegg makes sense as I have read Canada is behind in getting vaccines compared to many countries.

S.O.S.Canada

We gambled and lost on the vaccine distribution, that's for sure. Guess the powers that be forgot the old adage "don't put all your eggs in one basket".... also, not a production facility functioning till 2024 minimum...
the whole deal is reminiscent of days and industry past up here - automotive/steel sectors... now content to buy instead of produce anything, natural resources... sell wholesale, let others manufacture all types of things thus creating all types of jobs and we will buy back the finished products no questions asked.
For such a vast country of such beauty and generally intelligent and certainly hardworking people its amazing we don't have more collective pride in our own abilities.

herkileez

WFF Supporter
I'm in BC (Vancouver Island), and have had to cancel June trips to BC interior. We are now restricted to no travel outside our own area...We're not even allowed to travel down-island to Victoria. BC Ferries is not allowing any non-essential bookings on or off island. Canada has finally halted flights from India (now that the India strain has been allowed to establish here) I've had my first shot, with the 2nd not available until July. I understand the reasons for travel restrictions. In spite of all this, we still have anti-mask/anti-Vac protesters demonstrating against their "loss of freedom" (to be stupid). I'll take science over hillbilly logic any day, and do what I have to do until I no longer have to.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts