Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

BC lakes in 2021

11K views 87 replies 32 participants last post by  Dr. Magill 
#1 ·
Any plans to hit BC lakes once the border crossing problem is resolved?
The news is saying all Americans who want it will be immunized by the end of May.

Still lots of good fishing here at that time.
Lower elevation lakes should be at or just past their prime - higher lakes won't be in their prime yet.

I am going to be here hammering them...

#10 ·
I have 4 trips on the books in BC this year. I am not feeling good about the border opening until September or later. I am already making alternate plans in Oregon and maybe Idaho. My neighbors have close friends in BC and the they are being told the border will stay closed all year. I agree a lot of decisions will be made that will surprise us and I do believe, even after this pandemic is over a vaccination visa will be required for all international travel.

#12 ·
It’s highly unlikely the border will be opened by Canada until such time as it’s vaccinations have reached the “herd immunity” level (~70%). As was mentioned above, there is no current plan to fully vaccinate the population until (optimistically) the end of September.

Recent decisions to give as many people as possible at least the first dose, and stretch the booster shot up to 4 months later, mean at least a partial level of mass vaccination may be achieved earlier. But, that doesn’t mean the border will be open earlier... it may mean later if they wait for the second shot to be administered.

Think optimistically about your BC trips, but be prudent and make other plans too.

#13 ·
It's highly unlikely the border will be opened by Canada until such time as it's vaccinations have reached the "herd immunity" level (~70%). As was mentioned above, there is no current plan to fully vaccinate the population until (optimistically) the end of September.

Recent decisions to give as many people as possible at least the first dose, and stretch the booster shot up to 4 months later, mean at least a partial level of mass vaccination may be achieved earlier. But, that doesn't mean the border will be open earlier... it may mean later if they wait for the second shot to be administered.

Think optimistically about your BC trips, but be prudent and make other plans too.
I fear you're right about the border being closed for much longer than we anglers would like. Safety first. Here's hoping Canada (and all nations) can get major quantities of the vaccine.

Save a trout or two for me.

Patrick

#16 ·
I know my plans are for a number of excursions to the interior and elsewhere given all the money that has been saved from not going on saltwater trips the last couple of years..... its actually suprising just how many anglers are out on the lakes and streams considering they are all somewhat local ..... I guess it has a lot to do with people now working from home or not working etc......

#24 ·
#39 ·
Heading up to Sawmill (Burnell) lake in Oliver around April 14 - 20. Just over the border for you guys but still untouchable. Probably hit it again May 3 - 9.

Other lakes on the list this year: Roche (2x), Pass, Courtney, Tunkwa in early August for the "bomber run" and another small lake in the south Cariboo.

Most are trophy lakes with a lot of 20+" fish.

Tied up a ton of new flies this winter so I should be ready.
I have a new boat and a new trailer so I am ready to rock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.