Saw These Gems on Instagram Tonight

pbunbury

Tights Lines
The dumbass in the background is the same idiot that complained about tribal netting on the coastal steelhead regulations zoom call back in early December. Additionally, he's a fishing guide on the OP.
Yep, the general lack of respect/care/appreciation/value etc for these fish by people like him, and absolute hypocrisy they display is disgusting.

pbunbury

Tights Lines
I love when people spot fouls through IG and want to make a fuss about it, when there is a great chance the pics were found in the first place because folks are using IG to follow guides to try to get intel, and searching hash tags for the same reason. Maybe someone posts a pic of a nice fish caught and you recognize the background etc.

Not saying that's the case here, just in general.

People sure love to bitch about IG and social media, but its nothing more than a digital platform to support what has been going on for decades. IG=Digital Fishing and Hunting News.

Poor fishing is not caused by social media. I post plenty of Puget Sound fishing pictures on IG. It hasn't made Puget Sound fishing suck one bit. Fishing sucks when there are no fish. Lake fishing isn't going down hill because of IG. Bass fishing isn't terrible because of IG.

Steelhead fishing sucks because there are next to no steelhead anymore. It's nice to have a scapegoat, but blaming everything on social media seems a bit absurd to me.

Anyway, not much of this post has anything anything do with the OP. Those tassels are rad. I'm gonna get some for the steering wheel in my boat.
Thanks for the criticism Nick. The post came from the Lancer Jigs account. I don't follow anyone for intel, in fact because of the dire situation facing our Steelhead in this state I have stopped fishing for them completely. Turned to skiing in the winter.

I have and will continue to hold people who know better accountable for not practicing what they preach, or just flat out abusing these fish which are just damn near an ESA listing.

It's on all of us to hold each other accountable and be stewards for our state fish.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Thanks for the criticism Nick. The post came from the Lancer Jigs account. I don't follow anyone for intel, in fact because of the dire situation facing our Steelhead in this state I have stopped fishing for them completely. Turned to skiing in the winter.

I have and will continue to hold people who know better accountable for not practicing what they preach, or just flat out abusing these fish which are just damn near an ESA listing.

It's on all of us to hold each other accountable and be stewards for our state fish.

I don't disagree man. As I said, my post wasn't written towards you, but rather some of the anti IG posts that followed. It seems anytime IG or social media is mentioned these days everyone starts complaining about it. My post was directed to this complaining.

pbunbury

Tights Lines
I don't disagree man. As I said, my post wasn't written towards you, but rather some of the anti IG posts that followed. It seems anytime IG or social media is mentioned these days everyone starts complaining about it. My post was directed to this complaining.
All good and appreciate the response. You’re good people and you have always had my respect.

dustinchromers

"If you're not fishing Lancer, you're not killing it"

Borosilicate

Pinners are the absolute worst
Indicators on fly rods for steelhead is the absolute worst. Float fishing with centerpin reels is an art and has been around as long as fly reels/rods. Casting a pin takes much more skill than spinning/casting reels and fighting fish with no drag is a blast.

Don’t knock it til you try it.

Though people these days like to give it a bad look. I take my Spey and Pin out and fish flies and jigs every time I target anadromous fish. I like to cover all the water that I can’t swing with a jig. Tying jigs is just as fun as tying flies. Apples to oranges

Last edited:

Borosilicate

Those were all hatchery fish. They most definitely kept them in the water until they measured their dorsal fin, to assure they were hatchery origin. If you want to complain about something, how bout getting upset over the fact the tribe doesn’t clip 80% of the fish they raise?

I caught a fish in the same system this year, that was clipped. Though it was missing its adipose, it had a totally intact dorsal fin and didn’t pass the credit card rule. These fish are legal to retain if their dorsal doesn’t measure. Don’t be mad at the angler following the rules, be mad at the state for the mismanagement. This run is early timed and the native run is later. Sure there is some overlap but I can tell you from experience that run drops off a cliff by February.

Also, food for thought. If we want to protect our native Winter Steelhead, I think the state needs to stop prioritizing their smolt plants. Instead of flooding our rivers with genetically inferior fish (Chambers stock), we should shift the plants to skamania, and focus our efforts on summer run. They eat better, you can catch them 5 months out of the year (in nice weather) and they have better survival rates compared to winters. It just seems like if the state truly cared about the wild OP natives, they’d halt the hatchery plants that coincide.

Not claiming to have all the answers here but there’s a thought at least...

Last edited:

moon1284

Indicators on fly rods for steelhead is the absolute worst. Float fishing with centerpin reels is an art and has been around as long as fly reels/rods. Casting a pin takes much more skill than spinning/casting reels and fighting fish with no drag is a blast.

Don’t knock it til you try it.

Though people these days, like the ones depicted, give it a bad look. I take my Spey and Pin out and fish flies and jigs every time I target anadromous fish. I like to cover all the water that I can’t swing with a jig. Tying jigs is just as fun as tying

I fish for anadromous fish the right way.

Centerpin casting is super sweet. Right up there with soccer and roller blading.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts