Saw These Gems on Instagram Tonight

pbunbury

Tights Lines
Indicators on fly rods for steelhead is the absolute worst. Float fishing with centerpin reels is an art and has been around as long as fly reels/rods. Casting a pin takes much more skill than spinning/casting reels and fighting fish with no drag is a blast.

Don’t knock it til you try it.

Though people these days, like the ones depicted, give it a bad look. I take my Spey and Pin out and fish flies and jigs every time I target anadromous fish. I like to cover all the water that I can’t swing with a jig. Tying jigs is just as fun as tying flies. Apples to oranges
You're speaking to someone who owns a centerpin setup and has used it many times, not much these days, but a lot back in 2010-2014. Not knocking that, knocking the absurd handling of these fish, regardless of which river they are in and whether they are broodstock or wild, the argument could be made that most "WILD" steelhead populations in Washington have been diluted or impacted anyways by mankind thinking we can do it better than nature, that's a whole other discussion on absurdity. But, the dire straits of these fishing staring down the barrel at extinction, I expect better from guides, and industry brands, period.

Charles Sullivan

You're speaking to someone who owns a centerpin setup and has used it many times, not much these days, but a lot back in 2010-2014. Not knocking that, knocking the absurd handling of these fish, regardless of which river they are in and whether they are broodstock or wild, the argument could be made that most "WILD" steelhead populations in Washington have been diluted or impacted anyways by mankind thinking we can do it better than nature, that's a whole other discussion on absurdity. But, the dire straits of these fishing staring down the barrel at extinction, I expect better from guides, and industry brands, period.
Why do you expect better? Why would people who profit off of natural resource extraction do a better job managing or behaving in the interest of he natural world. I can't think of a time when that philosophy was proven right. People seem to have respect for guides. Why is that? As a group have they earned that respect? In the case of OP guides can you say that they have behaved in a a manner that you would come to expect them to be leaders?

I know what you are saying. Guides should know better. I get that. It's a true and valid point. I've never seen them as a group behave like they know better though. I don't expect them to behave better at all. They are the New York Jets of the fishing world. Dependably poor in every way.

Go Sox,
cds

pbunbury

Tights Lines
Why do you expect better? Why would people who profit off of natural resource extraction do a better job managing or behaving in the interest of he natural world. I can't think of a time when that philosophy was proven right. People seem to have respect for guides. Why is that? As a group have they earned that respect? In the case of OP guides can you say that they have behaved in a a manner that you would come to expect them to be leaders?

I know what you are saying. Guides should know better. I get that. It's a true and valid point. I've never seen them as a group behave like they know better though. I don't expect them to behave better at all. They are the New York Jets of the fishing world. Dependably poor in every way.

Go Sox,
cds
You make great points and I completely agree. The optimist in me seems to think the black and white of this situation is so completely obvious that everyone aware of it will recognize what must be done, but that's just wishful thinking which again and again proves frivolous.

I have lost a lot, if not all respect for some people I have known for a long time. They say one thing, do another, or act in complete self interest. Their complete lack of respect for the resource which provides them a living is astounding. You would think a person would act in self interest to preserve their means of future income, and many do. A portion of the group involved could give An Absolute F$$K, and just rape the resource for all they can while they can. Its disgusting, discouraging, and sad.

I will say that there are some outstanding guides out there who are virtuous, appreciate and respect the resource, and get it. Unfortunately they are not the majority.

dustinchromers

Expectation is the mother of all disappointment.

D. Chromers

moon1284

also you clearly don’t understand the term anadromous, as it refers to ocean run fish. Not the lake runts you poor east coasters consider “steelhead” :D

LOL I fish all over. Plenty of ocean run fish.

What color tassels do you keep on your centerpin rod? Those are totally awesome.

Borosilicate

LOL I fish all over. Plenty of ocean run fish.

What color tassels do you keep on your centerpin rod? Those are totally awesome.
Did you mean to say “I pay to fish all over” ??? Cause I’m sure that’s exactly what you do. Pay to play, couldn’t earn a fish to save your life lmfao.

Also, I don’t own any of that tooty fruity garbage. I wear shredded up vans lol. I have all black pins, and blank rods. I don’t care about the looks of my fishing setups, I care about how they function. Does that mean I don’t prefer nice gear? No. I just don’t care to look like a bass fisherman when I’m steelheading.

Last edited:

Borosilicate

Unlike you, I was actually there watching them handle those fish. You’re over here making assumptions about how they handled them from looking at pictures. I was actually THERE. They netted the fish, kept them in the water until they identified them to be hatchery origin by measuring their dorsal. Wtf does it matter what they do after they retain the fish??? Again, don’t be upset at the anglers following the regulations, be upset about the regulations themselves and the FACT the STATE doesn't make the tribe clip their fish! Derp

Last edited:

Borosilicate

Also wtf are you doing here complaining about these anglers handling their fish they caught with rod/reel?? I don’t see you bitching about the horrific impacts the tribal gill nets are having on the actual wild fish? Also, gill nets aren’t selective whereas rod/reel is. How many downriver natives you think get killed in nets compared to rec anglers?

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts