March 8th closure of more OP rivers ... Yikes.

Yadwick

Fishing out of a boat was against the regulations on the quinault this year right? I only ask because i was over there a bit ago and saw some gear fisherman fishing out of the boat hooked up to a steelhead. No way someone would break the rules would they? What is everyone's go to for dealing with this kind of thing? I was far away and couldn't really say much, but the boat with the fish on floated right into some guys spey fishing with what i assumed was a guide.

Cougar Zeke

Why does the QIN absolutely hammer the Queets? To their credit, they didn't schedule any gillnetting on the Chehalis, the Humptulips, or the Quinault past January. Meanwhile, the Queets has 4-day gillnet windows throughout March, and the tribal sport season remains open (limit 1 wild steelhead). The Queets has been chronically under-escaped for years now, despite having the most pristine habitat on the coast. The only significant harvest pressure on wild Queets steelhead comes from the Tribe. Why do they do it, and why does the State agree to it?
I thought the Queets wasn't going to be netted after like January 20th?

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
Fishing out of a boat was against the regulations on the quinault this year right? I only ask because i was over there a bit ago and saw some gear fisherman fishing out of the boat hooked up to a steelhead. No way someone would break the rules would they? What is everyone's go to for dealing with this kind of thing? I was far away and couldn't really say much, but the boat with the fish on floated right into some guys spey fishing with what i assumed was a guide.
I saw 4 boats, but didn't see anyone fishing from their boat. If I had, my intent was to photograph the boat numbers and or guide sticker to forward to WDFW.

Shad

I thought the Queets wasn't going to be netted after like January 20th?
I'm just going based off the QIN net schedules. I'm not sure they are current, but they do show fishing on the Quinault, Humptulips, and Chehalis scheduled to close after January. Queets still shows dates through March. Again, these may just be initial schedules, and indeed, the Tribe may have closed their fisheries on the Queets.

Either way, my concern that they might overfish the Queets as a rule stands, whether they're fishing there now or not. When they do fish it during steelhead season, it's typically between 4 and 6 days per week.

vader

Congrats on the hookup!

We'll still have December thru January (maybe February) to fish for hatchery fish, so it's probably not all over, but we may be done with spring steelheading on the coast, unless taking sport anglers off the rivers somehow leads to a miraculous recovery (no reason it should).

Either way, I imagine you'll still be able to fish on the reservation with a guide in future years.
I thought all the Dec hatchery were shut down? thanks wsc

fishues

fishin fool
I'm just going based off the QIN net schedules. I'm not sure they are current, but they do show fishing on the Quinault, Humptulips, and Chehalis scheduled to close after January. Queets still shows dates through March. Again, these may just be initial schedules, and indeed, the Tribe may have closed their fisheries on the Queets.
Drove over the Queets on 101 yesterday and could see at least 3 nets... so sad
Either way, my concern that they might overfish the Queets as a rule stands, whether they're fishing there now or not. When they do fish it during steelhead season, it's typically between 4 and 6 days per week.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts