Blankety Blank Humminbird battery pack(s)

Kilchis

WFF Supporter
Buzzy when your friend solders the connection back together ask him to splice in an extra length of wire somewhere down the line to give you some slack for working with the battery carrier. Then tape/zip-tie the existing length of red wire to the side of the battery carrier so that the soldered connection isn't being flexed every time you change batteries.

Did that paragraph make any sense?

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
Pat
$14.93.
I bought a couple from HB years ago but can’t find them or I would send it to you.

Just bought one.

Tom Bowden

I bought a replacement battery pack from Mike's Reel Repair a few years ago, and it's a big upgrade. You still have to be careful when you replace the batteries. I try to replace mine at home after 3-4 days of use - much easier and safer than doing it with cold wet fingers on the boat.

IveofIone

WFF Supporter
I bought a replacement battery pack from Mike's Reel Repair a few years ago, and it's a big upgrade. You still have to be careful when you replace the batteries. I try to replace mine at home after 3-4 days of use - much easier and safer than doing it with cold wet fingers on the boat.
To my point that the Hummingbird was severely under engineered-when it is incumbent on the end user to buy aftermarket products in order to make a product function the process has failed. I have so much contempt for a company that continued to manufacture a defective product long after it's weaknesses had been identified. I will admit that I currently have a Hummingbird Helix on my pram but it was a gift and so far hasn't failed. I wouldn't spend my own money on one.

I have Garmins on both my Super Fat Cat and Scadden Predator. The Scadden mount is custom built with an adjustable transducer mount and is attached to the boat with a single NRS strap. Both are powered by 5AH AGM batteries that weigh about 3# and are very small, easily fitting into one of the boat's pockets. The batteries last for days, can be easily recharged and only cost about $15. I like these setups far better than I did the Fishin' Buddy's long stalk although I liked the concept of the all-in-one unit. Changing batteries is quick and safe with little chance of breaking anything.

For the SFC I bought one of the holders for Garmin from fishfinders.com in Canada and it is really slick. I think it only cost about $40, straps on easily and has a skookum folding transducer mount that will swivel up out of the water. It is the kind of product that indicates that the engineering was done by someone that actually uses the product. What a concept!

MelW

Certified Curmudgeon - GET OFF MY LAWN!
I made several of the battery holders and wire connections for my Humminbird 140C. It is much easier to just trade out battery packs than to remove and reinstall 6 batteries. Also much less stress on the wires.

Battery Pack:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PACK-OF-2-...988395?hash=item467889822b:g:-sMAAOSwFHZaqJP5

For some reason I can't get the URL from Amazon for the connector sets to attach here. If you search Amazon for "Molex 2 Pin Connector Lot, 6 Matched Sets, w/18-24 AWG w/Pins Mini-Fit Jr" you can find them.

Wires can be sourced locally.

Last edited:

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
Jim - I'm headed to Butte tomorrow, we can go shopping and I'll buy lunch and dinner if you can splice some flexible wire onto these units and make 'em work! ;-)
Quit trying to scare me like this. I don't need to be scared. I might just keel over and be done with it all.

Buzzy

I made several of the battery holders and wire connections for my Humminbird 140C. It is much easier to just trade out battery packs than to remove and reinstall 6 batteries. Also much less stress on the wires.

Battery Pack:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PACK-OF-2-...988395?hash=item467889822b:g:-sMAAOSwFHZaqJP5

For some reason I can't get the URL from Amazon for the connector sets to attach here. If you search Amazon for "Molex 2 Pin Connector Lot, 6 Matched Sets, w/18-24 AWG w/Pins Mini-Fit Jr" you can find them.

Wires can be sourced locally.
MelW - Thanks for this tidbit, interesting indeed.

Buzzy

Quit trying to scare me like this. I don't need to be scared. I might just keel over and be done with it all.
Jim - Jim - Jim - sorry sir! Sometimes I joke around and that's what I was doing. Take care!!//Pat

PezVela

I think I posted my 140c fix before, but here it is again. I plug the long cable right into the back of the unit, and power it with the $20 (small) battery through the step down converter. We ran it for four days straight on a charge, and works great. Try that Pat... if you get tired of keeping “EverReady” in business!

Attachments

• 45A308E3-C0DE-441E-ADF6-3F18384A613C.png
    45A308E3-C0DE-441E-ADF6-3F18384A613C.png
    696.7 KB · Views: 23
  • B33A701A-7565-4CBD-A2DB-6B0EC29C895A.jpeg
    B33A701A-7565-4CBD-A2DB-6B0EC29C895A.jpeg
    248.4 KB · Views: 23
  • BC73AC91-6388-4337-86EB-5D092D29BBC2.jpeg
    BC73AC91-6388-4337-86EB-5D092D29BBC2.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 23

Buzzy

I think I posted my 140c fix before, but here it is again. I plug the long cable right into the back of the unit, and power it with the $20 (small) battery through the step down converter. We ran it for four days straight on a charge, and works great. Try that Pat... if you get tired of keeping “EverReady” in business!
Steve -
Thanks - I did remember you had a solution that works well. I don't like the idea of extra "stuff" in my float tube when I'm backpacking it in. For times when I'm fishing from my pram, you solution is spot on!! Take a lesson Humminbird.

IveofIone

WFF Supporter
Pat, look into a depth finder that can be powered with LiFePO4 instead of lead acid and completely get away from throwing away those pesky little batteries every 3 days. I have a lot of stuff that uses AA or AAA batteries and I usually buy the "abuser packs" of 50 or 60 at a time to make sure I have enough on hand. But I don't like it.

Moving up to lithium means several things and the first is more expense but that is about the extent of the downside. The upside is that they weigh significantly less, produce power for far longer at a steady rate without the steady decline of lead acid and are good for at least 2,000 charging cycles whereas the lead acid will last around 3-400 cycles.

You will need a dedicated charger specifically for LiFePO4 but that is a small expense. Battery and charger together will probably be <$150 and if you amortize that over over 2,000 cycles at 3 fishing days per cycle that would be roughly 6,000 day trips! Or 16 years if you went every day, 32 years if you went every other day, 64 years if you went every 4th day,etc,etc.

Hell, you could be an old man before you use up your first LiFePO4 battery!

Krusty

Outta Here
One thing to note about lithium batteries; they do not tolerate charging at freezing temps, which can permanently render them unchargeable in short order. This is also true of lithium powered tool batteries. Don't ask how I personally know this to be true.

Using lithium batteries in cold conditions, however, does not result in damage.

Buzzy

Pat, look into a depth finder that can be powered with LiFePO4 instead of lead acid and completely get away from throwing away those pesky little batteries every 3 days. I have a lot of stuff that uses AA or AAA batteries and I usually buy the "abuser packs" of 50 or 60 at a time to make sure I have enough on hand. But I don't like it.

Moving up to lithium means several things and the first is more expense but that is about the extent of the downside. The upside is that they weigh significantly less, produce power for far longer at a steady rate without the steady decline of lead acid and are good for at least 2,000 charging cycles whereas the lead acid will last around 3-400 cycles.

You will need a dedicated charger specifically for LiFePO4 but that is a small expense. Battery and charger together will probably be <$150 and if you amortize that over over 2,000 cycles at 3 fishing days per cycle that would be roughly 6,000 day trips! Or 16 years if you went every day, 32 years if you went every other day, 64 years if you went every 4th day,etc,etc.

Hell, you could be an old man before you use up your first LiFePO4 battery!
Ive -
Another good tip, thanks! I use rechargeable batteries in my fish finder - so I'm not quite ready to switch to lithium. I figure the rechargeable batteries are a small step in reducing my waste stream.

Ice off your zipper lip water?
Pat

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts