Blankety Blank Humminbird battery pack(s)

Buzzy

Let me start off with a THANK YOU to all of you who have shared your knowledge on McGyvering - or on your creativity in fixing Humminbird's less than stellar engineering of their Fishin' Buddy battery packs.

@MelW - I promise I wont step on your lawn but I'd like to shake your hand. (Mel's been working behind the scene on PM's with me.)

The Bad and the Ugly - the original failure:
1.JPG

Thanks to Mel who provided links I was able to order Molex 2-pin connectors with pins. Mel also provided a link to two Velleman battery packs (with snap terminals - snap terminals?).
2.JPG

As soon as I got the Molex pins I knew I was in trouble. My Aw Shucks wire strippers aren't designed for the delicate two part crimping requirements of these small pins. Amazon to the rescue with a two day shipment of a Molex pin crimping tool. YouTube baby and a few practice runs and I was crimping like a one armed wall paper hanger.
3.JPG

Try and buy 20 gauge wire in Ephrata. Can't do it, it doesn't exist. Amazon. Two 25' spools of 20 gauge wire, far more flexible than the Humminbird garbage. With the two pin Molex connectors crimped and seated in the housing, time to think about that snap terminal battery pack.
4.JPG

The snap terminal top (purposely not shown) confused me on how to attach the wires. No laughing IveofIone or MelW - I drilled a small hole and inserted fluxed wire through the negative snap terminal and slightly expanded a slot on the positive terminal and fitted fluxed wire in the slot. Repaired my dis-functional soldering gun and soldered the wires to the to snap terminals.

(On the right - not that heat shrink garbage on the left) The Good:
5.JPG

I added batteries to my newly "assembled" (Mucho McGyver) battery pack, hauled my vintage 110 out of the closet (out of the closet?) - this thing hasn't had a good battery pack in something like ten years. Cut a little foam out of the battery housing so the soldered terminals didn't drag on the foam, carefully connected the two pin Molex housings and ever so carefully folded the wires beneath the pack so the damn sonar top wouldn't snag the wires, screwed the top on, connected the sonar and battery leads, hit "start".

IT WORKS!

Don't think Tim's Reel Repair has to worry about competition (thanks @Mark Yoshida - I did order one of their battery packs - taking forever to get here).

Again - thanks to WFF members generous suggestions and advice. Domo Arigato! Merci!

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
Let me start off with a THANK YOU to all of you who have shared your knowledge on McGyvering - or on your creativity in fixing Humminbird's less than stellar engineering of their Fishin' Buddy battery packs.

@MelW - I promise I wont step on your lawn but I'd like to shake your hand. (Mel's been working behind the scene on PM's with me.)

View attachment 275228

Thanks to Mel who provided links I was able to order Molex 2-pin connectors with pins. Mel also provided a link to two Velleman battery packs (with snap terminals - snap terminals?).
View attachment 275229

As soon as I got the Molex pins I knew I was in trouble. My Aw Shucks wire strippers aren't designed for the delicate two part crimping requirements of these small pins. Amazon to the rescue with a two day shipment of a Molex pin crimping tool. YouTube baby and a few practice runs and I was crimping like a one armed wall paper hanger.
View attachment 275230

Try and buy 20 gauge wire in Ephrata. Can't do it, it doesn't exist. Amazon. Two 25' spools of 20 gauge wire, far more flexible than the Humminbird garbage. With the two pin Molex connectors crimped and seated in the housing, time to think about that snap terminal battery pack.
View attachment 275231

The snap terminal top (purposely not shown) confused me on how to attach the wires. No laughing IveofIone or MelW - I drilled a small hole and inserted fluxed wire through the negative snap terminal and slightly expanded a slot on the positive terminal and fitted fluxed wire in the slot. Repaired my dis-functional soldering gun and soldered the wires to the to snap terminals.

View attachment 275232

I added batteries to my newly "assembled" (Mucho McGyver) battery pack, hauled my vintage 110 out of the closet (out of the closet?) - this thing hasn't had a good battery pack in something like ten years. Cut a little foam out of the battery housing so the soldered terminals didn't drag on the foam, carefully connected the two pin Molex housings and ever so carefully folded the wires beneath the pack so the damn sonar top wouldn't snag the wires, screwed the top on, connected the sonar and battery leads, hit "start".

IT WORKS!

Don't think Tim's Reel Repair has to worry about competition (thanks @Mark Yoshida - I did order one of their battery packs - taking forever to get here).

Again - thanks to WFF members generous suggestions and advice. Domo Arigato! Merci!

Dang!

My back up pack is also taking forever!

MelW

Certified Curmudgeon - GET OFF MY LAWN!
I promise I wont step on your lawn but I'd like to shake your hand.
Pat, your success is worth more to me than a handshake. :)

Fortunately, there is a nice concrete sidewalk that leads to the front door of our house so people won't have to step on the goddam lawn!:p

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
WFF Supporter

View attachment 275228

View attachment 275229

View attachment 275230

View attachment 275231

View attachment 275232

IT WORKS!

You told me repairs like that were above your skill level. Nice work Pat.

Buzzy

Dang!

My back up pack is also taking forever!
I got to wondering how something could take more than two weeks to get from Abbotsford, BC to 98823 (270 highway miles). Somehow the package was sent to San Francisco (I left my heart in San Fran) where it sat for four (4) days, eventually the package got to Yakima then Spokane and today to Ephrata. USPS, yeah! The good news is the pack arrived today.

Mike's Reel Repair should be part of Humminbird's design team. Their simple modification to the battery pack wiring is far more robust than the original plus they have a picture sequence and explanation on installing the pack (with batteries) so the sender unit never tangles with the wires when you're screwing the sender back onto the base.
IMG_5315.jpg

And a little epoxy helps keep fragile soldered connections from breaking.

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
WFF Supporter
Pat, look into a depth finder that can be powered with LiFePO4 instead of lead acid and completely get away from throwing away those pesky little batteries every 3 days. I have a lot of stuff that uses AA or AAA batteries and I usually buy the "abuser packs" of 50 or 60 at a time to make sure I have enough on hand. But I don't like it.

Moving up to lithium means several things and the first is more expense but that is about the extent of the downside. The upside is that they weigh significantly less, produce power for far longer at a steady rate without the steady decline of lead acid and are good for at least 2,000 charging cycles whereas the lead acid will last around 3-400 cycles.

You will need a dedicated charger specifically for LiFePO4 but that is a small expense. Battery and charger together will probably be <$150 and if you amortize that over over 2,000 cycles at 3 fishing days per cycle that would be roughly 6,000 day trips! Or 16 years if you went every day, 32 years if you went every other day, 64 years if you went every 4th day,etc,etc.

Hell, you could be an old man before you use up your first LiFePO4 battery!
I followed your advice Ive. I took the plunge on the LiFePO4 battery and charger you suggested.
I haven't tried it yet but look forward to a little less weight packing the float tube in.
Fred

bchapman

Battery and charger together
Are you using a single large Li battery? If so, how have you hooked it up to your FB?

If not, did you create your own battery pack? I am told that Li "AA" batteries are actually larger in diameter than regular AA batteries.

Thanks.

bchapman

Some help please...

If a Fishin Buddy 110/120/140c runs on 6 AA batteries (connected in series), I believe that means that the FB works on 9 volts.

I am trying to figure out what 9 volt Lithium-ion battery/ies I can fit into the battery compartment (with some minor modification if necessary) instead. I know very little about the engineering behind it, so I would love to hear some suggestions/info on the topic.

The first thing that came to me was to connect 3 or 4 traditional form factor 9 volt batteries in parallel. I believe that would keep me at 9 volts and allow me to add up the amp hours in the package. For example, would three 9 volt Li-Ion batteries in parallel, each with 4800 mAh, mean an output of 9 volts and a total 14,400 mAh (i.e. 14.4 Amp Hours)?

How could I get an even higher count of Ah at 9 volts into the battery compartment (i.e., what other form factor can I use)?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info