Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Zebra Mussels confirmed in WA

2K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  Hem 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Just got a notification from DFW here in NC also. Living 100 feet from the salt water it doesn’t give me a warm fuzzy feeling.
Also, within the last 3 months the local water provider notified us that they would be adding an additional chemical to eliminate “an ongoing issue” with some of the homes in the area. They gave warning to all homes that if you have aquariums and don’t want your fish to die you have to have them drained & cleaned/sterilized and an additional filter installed. Perfect! I’m thinking every household heard words similar:
“Harold, don’t you think it’s time to get the little fishees some new do-dahs for their home? I’ve some great ideas I saw at the PetSmart cesspool for our salt aquarium”

Another gift from across the water.

Reactions: hookedonthefly
#3 ·
Just got a notification from DFW here in NC also. Living 100 feet from the salt water it doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.
Also, within the last 3 months the local water provider notified us that they would be adding an additional chemical to eliminate "an ongoing issue" with some of the homes in the area. They gave warning to all homes that if you have aquariums and don't want your fish to die you have to have them drained & cleaned/sterilized and an additional filter installed. Perfect! I'm thinking every household heard words similar:
"Harold, don't you think it's time to get the little fishees some new do-dahs for their home? I've some great ideas I saw at the PetSmart cesspool for our salt aquarium"

Another gift from across the water.
Looks like the lionfish have made it to NC as well. Have a friend that hunts pythons in the Everglades. Everything that goes into our aquarium is quarantined prior to going into the main tank even though it is mostly aqua-cultured; but, some Mari-culture. Ed

#4 ·
On a note, to the best of my knowledge, zebra mussels are freshwater only. Reminds me of top 5 questions ever asked by a client (on the Sauk). ”Is this a freshwater river or a saltwater river?” You cannot make that up. Ed
*In the last 3 years, they have removed over 60,000 lionfish in FL waters alone.

#5 ·
I have friends who dive the wrecks here, and there are plenty of wrecks, who have Lionfish derbys every weekend. They are encouraged to take as many as possible. Some of the local Asian folks consider them a delicacy. They cut out the poisonous section and cook the food part. Can’t remember the type of poison they inject but paralysis and death can be a side effect....just sayin’. The 600lb Sand Tiger sharks just tread water and watch. Didn’t know it until a friend/diver/fisherman told me the Sand Tigers will surface, grab a huge volume of air and dive and basically stay in a state of suspended animation for quite some time. I’ve seen them at the surface but the dive part I’ll leave for the younger crowd.....60-120’ down is not my environment. If I can find his Y/T videos I’ll upload one.

#6 ·
I have friends who dive the wrecks here, and there are plenty of wrecks, who have Lionfish derbys every weekend. They are encouraged to take as many as possible. Some of the local Asian folks consider them a delicacy. They cut out the poisonous section and cook the food part. Can't remember the type of poison they inject but paralysis and death can be a side effect....just sayin'. The 600lb Sand Tiger sharks just tread water and watch. Didn't know it until a friend/diver/fisherman told me the Sand Tigers will surface, grab a huge volume of air and dive and basically stay in a state of suspended animation for quite some time. I've seen them at the surface but the dive part I'll leave for the younger crowd.....60-120' down is not my environment. If I can find his Y/T videos I'll upload one.
I knew about lionfish derbies; but, interesting. I'm fine at 60'; but, pass on 120'...gettin' old I guess. Amazing how some of these invasive species spread so Damn fast. Butterfly bush on the Skagit appeared to me to double every year. Not goood. I'm not so sure the boat inspections for zebra mussels do that much good. I've been inspected. Lazy or indifferent inspectors (coupled more as DUI checkpoints) are words that come to mind. Ed

#7 ·
We have a pretty active port here for a small community. Not as large as Wilmington NC but we have quite a few multi-vessel days. Between the military, agriculture (phosphates) and Steel business we also get many ships from other countries. Because the shell fish business and sport fishing is so important to the state and local economy the DFW is fairly active. That being said the invasive species with no known natural predators doesn’t give us a warm fuzzy feeling. Similar to lampreys in the Great Lakes the zebra mussels hitched a ride in the bilge of foreign vessels and found a home in fresh water to the detriment of the local species. The world becomes a smaller place every day.

#8 ·
Bummer...I was reading the way to remove zebra mussel "veligers" take over so quickly talk about a "Virus" This sucks...as in they suck and split out...swishers...Anyway 104+ plus degree pressure washing...like that is going to be practical...as we fish from lake to lake...

#9 ·
Palythoa are frequently sold in aquarium stores without them explaining the need to be aware of palytoxin. One of the most toxic poisons in the world. I‘ve seen my buddy after being squirted in the face fragging. It ain’t pretty. At least, petco/petstupid Dude had enough knowledge to recognize them. I don’t believe most would. Ed

#11 ·
One of the issues that affected the Great Lakes shipping industry, and hence the native Lake Trout is the fact these 400/600+ foot vessels were off loading wheat and other cargo far up rivers then had to take on ballast (water, fresh with zebra mussel spat) in order to navigate safely, back down to the sea. As you said Skip, just like a "Virus" riding as a passenger to elsewhere.

Reactions: hookedonthefly
#13 ·
Yeah, when I lived in New England someone in the State DPW thought it would be a great idea to plant Purple Loosestrife in the median and on the roadside slope to inhibit erosion during snowmelt.
It bloomed very well, quite a grand magenta purple blend. Looked pretty on a sunset.
And it spread like wildfire as it was a non native invasive species that couldn'tbe controlled.
Another celebration of human foibles.

#15 · (Edited)
Japanese Knotweed.
Seeing it nearly everywhere now. It's only taken a few years, too.

Invasives are a real problem.
Knotweed is terrible; and, another rapidly spreading invasive species. Don't quote me on these numbers; but, in the upper Skagit/Sauk basins, it is estimated that 50% of knotweed has been "treated"/eradicated over the course of about 50+- miles (probably with Round-Up...Sarcasm). I believe this has involved 16+ organizations and conservation groups. I think it was first found present on the Skagit/Sauk & tributaries around 2002. This is the most aggressive removal program I know of. I did float a couple of USFS people from Marblemount to Rockport to show them the prolific spread of butterfly bush. They were astounded. Ed

#16 ·
So there are 700 or more invasive species in WA state...The truth be known this is a referral to current listings and the priorities. In actuality, the list if considered over the course of time...what was here vs what came here before territorial settlement it is much more vast. So I consider the lists today as vast then consider precursor introductions like the common carp was perhaps introduced in the 19th century with german immigrants . As long as humans roam the world and settle we or rather some of us mobile creatures bring a piece of where we hailed from with us...a piece of home apparently. No one or no place is an island.

#20 ·
Slightly off topic...Then you have “The Giant Copper Mine” with Imperial Metals potentially very near the Skagit headwaters in B.C. I have not done research lately; but, the failure of a tailings dam there would be catastrophic for the Skagit. In conversation with Ed Connor with Seattle City Lights, this was his greatest concern relating to the Skagit. A failure would likely destroy the bull trout population plus.... If I remember correctly, the way that stuff attaches to glacial till/runoff (not technically proficient here...corrections will not hurt my feelings) it would be toxic at 1ppb, (not 1ppm) for bull trout. Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.