Montana - new record brown trout

DimeBrite

5X Celebrity Jeopardy Champion
Can't believe I'm not seeing more of this. Broke the record that had stood since 1966. Sounds legit.

IMG_0192-700x525.jpg

Robbi Doctor from Conrad caught a new state record brown trout out of the Marias River Wednesday night. The huge brown trout weighed 32.43 pounds, breaking the old state record which weighed 29 pounds and was caught out of Wade Lake in 1966 by E.H. “Peck”Bacon. We were told it was verified on Thursday by FWP.

Congratulations Robbi!

It was reportedly caught on a sex dungeon streamer. Hammered it!

RickG

I recently watched a show on Joe Humphries. (Humphrys?) He raved about night fishing. Now mind you that he was talking about Pennsylvania but he felt that was the secret. He was hunting for a 20 pound brown as he put it. I don't know if he has reached that benchmark yet or not. Was a good show.

Matt B

WFF Supporter
Impressive brown.

Call me weird, but I'd be more interested in catching one of those. That thing is a beast and looks a lot more "athletic" than a common carp (which are ass-kickers as it is).
I don't think that's weird. I'd be thrilled with either catch, but I'm kinda with you. And a fish that size--who knows how old it could be. 50 years? 80? 112?

"Taken together, evidence from thin-sectioned otoliths and bomb 14C dating revealed that Bigmouth Buffalo can live to 112 years, older than all other reports of maximum age for freshwater teleost fishes by nearly 40 years." ref

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
I don't think that's weird. I'd be thrilled with either catch, but I'm kinda with you. And a fish that size--who knows how old it could be. 50 years? 80? 112?

"Taken together, evidence from thin-sectioned otoliths and bomb 14C dating revealed that Bigmouth Buffalo can live to 112 years, older than all other reports of maximum age for freshwater teleost fishes by nearly 40 years." ref

Hell yeah, sign me up! Way cooler IMHO than a fat af brown.

MT_Flyfisher

I recently watched a show on Joe Humphries. (Humphrys?) He raved about night fishing. Now mind you that he was talking about Pennsylvania but he felt that was the secret. He was hunting for a 20 pound brown as he put it. I don't know if he has reached that benchmark yet or not. Was a good show

I think the brown trout reported in that article may have been Humphries largest brown.

The PA state record brown was caught last year in Lake Erie by a guy trolling 56’ down using a downrigger. That trout weighed 20# 9 oz.

cdnred

Finally a full report on how it happened. Looking at the pics of Robbie Dockter next to the 32 lb brown trout, it's hard to get a proper scale for size. The brown trout appears much bigger then 32lbs next to Dockter and I'm assuming Dockter to be maybe 175-180lbs. I wonder how old that brown was to reach that size..?

longputt

I’m always surprised that someone would go through the trouble of ratting out their own trophy water for their name on a state record. The photo or a series of photos could’ve been taken easily enough without a dead trophy and a news report on a specific river.
I agree....we actually caught many fish of a certain species well over the WA state record, without saying a word. Once we were spotted the fishery was wiped out in a few weeks.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts