Too early for Skwalas?

steelydan

Newb seeking wisdom
I'm thinking of heading over and wondered if I would be wasting my time due to conditions?
Anyone planning the trip?

cmann886

Yes it is too early. Went on Wednesday and saw 4 squala’s on the water and nothing ate them. Watch for temps at 42 for 2-3 days. It is getting close. One more recommendation, don’t believe the fly shops. I did and although we caught fish, I didn’t get any takes on the dry fly.

Last edited:

Up_and_Overland

A little early. Floated today, only saw a couple Skwalas. I did commit to dry fly fishing for a good part of the day and did bring a few to the boat on Skwala patterns but give it a week and it will probably be on fire.

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
Yes it is too early. Went on Wednesday and saw 4 squala’s on the water and nothing ate them. Watch fir temps at 42 for 2-3 days. It is getting close. One more recommendation, don’t believe the fly shops. I did and although we caught fish, I didn’t get any takes on the dry fly.

The water temps are wavering right about 40 degrees. A couple of degrees warmer will improve the hatch.. Yakima flows and water temp You are correct about the air temps need to be a bit higher to allow water temps to increase a little bit. There is a balancing factor between water temps and increased flows with warmer air temps and visibility.

Good luck...

Last edited:

suckegg

Fishing varies day to day a bit from ok+ to darn good with skwalas. Nighttime temps dropped down for three consecutive nights. Under early, and eventually they will rise up as the water warms. Levels have dropped and it continues to get clearer. Saw plenty of midges early. Just a few bwo and even small caddis. If it would warm up just a few degrees Phone shot.
71AD8297-9744-4C07-8717-2E26847E9976.jpeg

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts