Bean's Double L (Long & Lanky)

para_adams

Being a complete sucker for old bamboo rods with light tapers and lots of intermediates, I've been having fun lawn casting this old Bean's Double L rod that I picked up a week ago. It's 9' long, weighs 5.8oz but doesn't feel heavy because most of the weight's down near the grip. The ferrules are the same as the extremely rare Granger 9043, measured at 17/11. Just like a Granger 9043, the rod likes a 4 or a 5 weight line and casts either beautifully, short or surprisingly long. I posted photos on the Bamboo Forum seeking input on the likely maker...I was hoping for an Edwards when I purchased the rod but I'm pretty sure its an old Montague instead. Regardless, it'll be a lot of fun fishing over some trout with a 4 wt line this summer. Here are pics...

kmudgn

I fished the Bean LL in the late 1950s/early 60s. My great uncle had two and he taught me to fly fish on the heavier rod, but I don't remember the weight. Unfortunately, my asshole cousins sold them off cheap after he died (they don't fish) and did not even bother to ask me if I wanted them.

Mike Monsos

AKA flyman219
WFF Supporter
Nice find, I remember a discussion about the agate tip tops, it almost appears that your might have had two of those, and one replaced with a standard wire loop. I'm noticing that the wire loop is about 3/16" short suggesting a repair or replacement. Of course this is all a wild guess on my part. :p

para_adams

Nice find, I remember a discussion about the agate tip tops, it almost appears that your might have had two of those, and one replaced with a standard wire loop. I'm noticing that the wire loop is about 3/16" short suggesting a repair or replacement. Of course this is all a wild guess on my part. :p
Mike, good eye. The second tip was missing its tip top when I got it. That wire tip top is one I glued on from my cache of rod parts. I think the original took about 1/2" of the cane with it when it broke off. I might keep my eyes open for a red agate vintage tip tip but I'd have to be really lucky to find it in the right diameter to fit.

para_adams

As much as I like to fish all original rods, this rod actually might make a really good banty. I've made banty rods in the past by taking longer rods and shortening the butt section from the bottom end up, leaving the ferrule in place but installing a new seat and cork. (These are usually cheap rods I don't mind experimenting with).

I've made two versions, one where the butt is shortened to leave about 6" of cane extending from the cork to the ferrule and another where the butt is shortened to the point where the ferrule is enclosed in the cork and the mid section plugs into the end of the cork grip.

I've heard some folks say you can make a nice little 4 or 5 weight rod doing that, but I think they're mistaken because the line weight is based on the taper in that mid and tip and if the original 8-1/2' or 9' rod was a 6 weight, the shortened banty will also be a 6 weight. This rod is a rare opportunity since it has small ferrules and casts a 4 weight, a rare thing for a 9' rod. So I could make a banty conversion around 6'9" where the mid would plug into the end of the cork and it should nicely cast a 4 if my theory is right. But I have one challenge...I don't want to chop the original butt section on this rod, it's too fun as-is, so I need a donor butt section and finding one with a matching 17 size ferrule will be really hard to find. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Prefer a cheap rod for the donor butt section.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts