Pre-spawn on the west side for Bass?

Jiminsandiego

Pre-spawn time for Bass has always been "productive" for me. The larger females often eat like "a fat woman at the buffet". The transition from winter sluggishness into gorging on everything, is a matter of timing. The bass lakes near Anacortes are probably getting ready to "pop". In a month or two the pre-spawn will have passed. I'm very new to this fishery and am hoping for some insight. Is the buffet open or will it take a few more weeks?

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
People are catch bass right now in west side lowland lakes.
SF

Jiminsandiego

That's encouraging Stonefish. I wonder what the water temp is. Lake Whatcom Smallmouth Bass's pre spawn is something I do not want to miss. Clear Lake Largemouth pre-spawn is something that I will not miss. I know that just going fishing is the answer, but I feel that my "newbyness" could be minimized by the fine folks on this forum.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Water is still cold, which means start slow with your presentations and get more aggressive with them as the water warms.
SF

Smalma

With the beginning of warming water temperatures the larger smallmouth should be moving shallower by the day. With next week's weather report it should be game on with some as shallow as 6 feet locked to some structure. Rarely a huge numbers game this early but really nice average size and a chance at the season's best fish.

For largemouth on the shallower lakes there should be catchable fish though over the years my best period for a giant female was 4 to 6 weeks from now with water temperature (a foot below the surface) in the upper 50s.

Curt

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
WFF Supporter
Lake Whatcom doesn't open until the lowland lake opener in April.
Smallies are pre spawn to bedding on the opener.
It's not too early for LMB but it will be slow fishing for a while yet. Watch water temps for 50 degrees and up.
Fish when you can but afternoon is generally better this early.
My biggest LMB have come late March to end of April, 3 days either side of the full moon.
This early season I fish standard gear.
I switch to flys later after water warms up some.

Last edited:

Josh

dead in the water
WFF Moderator
Lake Whatcom doesn't open until the lowland lake opener in April.
Smallies are pre spawn to bedding on the opener.
This actually frustrates me a lot about Whatcom. I wish that it opened a bit earlier for bass.

Jiminsandiego

Got out to my favorite west side lake near Burlington. Water temp was 50 degrees. I was the only one fishing. I was using typical Bass gear and a Pumpkinseed Senko. Got two bites and landed two fat 18" bass in about ten feet of water. And so it begins. For some odd reason that plastic Senko has dominated over all other Bass "lures". I think that a "fly" that resembles a Senko could be very effective.

Josh

dead in the water
WFF Moderator
I was out on some whatcom water the other day and the temp was just to 50 in the shallower parts. I think that one needs another couple nice days. But I suspect shallower water has got to be getting just about ready.

Jiminsandiego

Brad Niemeyer, I like that input. Here in Anacortes the Daffodils are blooming. For me that is a sign from nature that the female Bass are lining up to the buffet. Calendar dates and water temperatures give us clues but Daffodils never lie.

Dr. Magill

Got out to my favorite west side lake near Burlington. Water temp was 50 degrees. I was the only one fishing. I was using typical Bass gear and a Pumpkinseed Senko. Got two bites and landed two fat 18" bass in about ten feet of water. And so it begins. For some odd reason that plastic Senko has dominated over all other Bass "lures". I think that a "fly" that resembles a Senko could be very effective.
Sweet
How did you rig it?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts