Saltwater Beach Line - Clear or Clear Camo?

afried

New Member (since 2006)
I'm looking to get a new full intermediate line for a hoped for trip in late summer to Maine to include a little beach pursuit of striped bass, as well as being good for salmon from the beach here (in MA 9). I'm drawn to the Cortland 444 Classic because it's stated to be true to line weight and the twenty year old five piece rod I plan to use for travel to Maine does not play well with the current generation of grossly overweighted lines. The Cortland Classic intermediate is offered in clear and clear camo. I'd greatly appreciate any informed opinions on which may be the better choice. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Andy

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
WFF Supporter
I'm looking to get a new full intermediate line for a hoped for trip in late summer to Maine to include a little beach pursuit of striped bass, as well as being good for salmon from the beach here (in MA 9). I'm drawn to the Cortland 444 Classic because it's stated to be true to line weight and the twenty year old five piece rod I plan to use for travel to Maine does not play well with the current generation of grossly overweighted lines. The Cortland Classic intermediate is offered in clear and clear camo. I'd greatly appreciate any informed opinions on which may be the better choice. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Andy
Clear.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
You might want to look at the Airflo Striper line, which is very popular with Striper fisherman on the east coast.
A number of folks use it for salmon out here as well.
If I recall correctly, it isn’t heavy overweighted.
You didn’t mention what rod weight you have, but it is available in 7 thru 10.

As far as clear or not, I used to be a big advocate for lines with clear heads. The more I fish, the less I care about whether a line has a clear head or not. I really don’t think it matters that much in the salt except for maybe some super spooky fish.
SF

afried

New Member (since 2006)
Thanks for the Airflo suggestion. I just started looking into it. From the airflousa website it appears they no longer use the "Striper" name but what is listed as the "Cold Saltwater" is probably the same or close to it. The rod in question by the way is a Winston BL5 9' 9wt. In the context of present day rods it's probably more in the way of a 7 or 8 weight. Not what I usually use from the beach here, but but being 5 piece carries the day for flying east on a family visit trip.

Pipeman

RIO's Coastal Quick Shooter is an intermediate line in clear that I've been using here for SRC and I really like it. I stays limber in our colder water and lays out very nice. Just my two cents.

Richard E

I'm drawn to the Cortland 444 Classic because it's stated to be true to line weight and the twenty year old five piece rod I plan to use for travel to Maine does not play well with the current generation of grossly overweighted lines.

Andy

That vintage and 5 piece, perhaps a Sage SP or Winston LT?

In any event, you can find an integrated head line that will work with your rod. Pay attention more to the grains of the line, not the weight of the line, and match the grain weight to your rod. It will work fine.

Integrated heads are the way to go for long distance casting with minimal false casting and in conditions where a long backcast isn't always available.

c1eddy

Any color will do, as long as it's clear :). Given Stonefish's many hours and seasons fishing PS, I've got to believe his assessment that it doesn't matter that much. But I find I'm more confident when fishing a clear line. I experimented with a colored intermediate line last year...with 6ft of tippet. It didn't take long before I found myself adding a 5ft. clear polyleader ahead of the fluorocarbon tippet in an effort to put more distance between the fly and the colored line. Did my catch rate go from mediocre to fabulous? Not even close... but I did feel better about my chances.

Last edited:

wetswinger

Any color will do, as long as it's clear :). Given Stonefish's many hours and seasons fishing PS, I've got to believe his assessment that it doesn't matter that much. But I find I'm more confidence when fishing a clear line. I experimented with a colored intermediate line last year...with 6ft of tippet. It didn't take long before I found myself adding a 5ft. clear polyleader ahead of the fluorocarbon tippet in an effort to put more distance between the fly and the colored line. Did my catch rate go from mediocre to fabulous? Not even close... but I did feel better about my chances.
I second the polyleader approach. You can get different sink rates to match your line and they really help your line rollover.

Squamishpoacher

How deep are the areas you're fishing? I have an older Airflow Coldwater Salt clear intermediate and it sinks too fast. Useing a Rio Outbound Short with Airflow clear intermediate 14' polyleaders and that works for me on beach coho and CTT. I vary tippet length from 4 to 10. I'll run about five feet of 20 pound off the polyleaders to help turnover on longer leads.

afried

New Member (since 2006)
Thanks to all for your input, and to Nick Clayton for his video noted above. I've pretty much gotten off my initial clear vs. camo question, now more focused on a line profile and weight that will work with the 1999 vintage five piece Winston BL5 9' 9wt I plan to to take on my August Maine visit. Been doing a bit of lawn casting with various lines I have. I don't do well with my WF8i (Rio OBS and Airflo 40+) or WF9i (OBS), or with1990's vintage WF8 and WF10 sink tip lines. I like the rod with the SA saltwater WF9F (AFTMA spec 240 gr) I originally got with the rod, an Ambush WF7F (22.5' 266gr head), and an earlier (black splice version) 40+ WF6i (32' with I think about 260 gr head). Still considering, but all of the above has me inclined to a 30' head full intermediate of about 270 gr head weight. The Rio OBS 7wt at 265 gr or something similar may be the answer. Andy

wetswinger

Thanks to all for your input, and to Nick Clayton for his video noted above. I've pretty much gotten off my initial clear vs. camo question, now more focused on a line profile and weight that will work with the 1999 vintage five piece Winston BL5 9' 9wt I plan to to take on my August Maine visit. Been doing a bit of lawn casting with various lines I have. I don't do well with my WF8i (Rio OBS and Airflo 40+) or WF9i (OBS), or with1990's vintage WF8 and WF10 sink tip lines. I like the rod with the SA saltwater WF9F (AFTMA spec 240 gr) I originally got with the rod, an Ambush WF7F (22.5' 266gr head), and an earlier (black splice version) 40+ WF6i (32' with I think about 260 gr head). Still considering, but all of the above has me inclined to a 30' head full intermediate of about 270 gr head weight. The Rio OBS 7wt at 265 gr or something similar may be the answer. Andy

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts