Northwest Oregon Rivers

High&NeverDry

Hey All, hope this finds you well.
We are planning a trip late summer of this year, August/September. Originals plans have been scrapped due to restrictions, so now I need to plan something new. We will eventually end up in Astoria/Seaside. I am not looking for any specific river/stream spots, but I wonder if any one knows some decent trout fishing from the WA/OR border along the I-5 corridor to Portland area and west to the coast? Highway 4 on the WA side and Highway 26, Highway 30 or 202 on the OR side would be the most likely followed path west. Maybe something with some decent camping if we chose that for a night or two. A PM will be fine if you don't want to post on here. Like I said, not looking for your special place, we can do the exploring and regs search, just some good starting points.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
G

BC33

I'm not super in-tune with that area, and it's not what I'd consider a traditional trout area.....but I'd look into the Nehalem or Wilson rivers...or even the Nestucca further south, for sea run cutties....Nestucca might have summer steel as well

High&NeverDry

I'm not super in-tune with that area, and it's not what I'd consider a traditional trout area.....but I'd look into the Nehalem or Wilson rivers...or even the Nestucca further south, for sea run cutties....Nestucca might have summer steel as well
Thanks, I looked at the Nehalme and Nestucca a bit, I'll check out the Wilson.

GAT

Dumbfounded
All the rivers that feed Tillamook Bay hold, at one time or another, salmon, steelhead and SRC.

High&NeverDry

Thanks, I looked at the Nehalme and Nestucca a bit, I'll check out the Wilson.

All the rivers that feed Tillamook Bay hold, at one time or another, salmon, steelhead and SRC.
Wilson/Tillamook Bay is a bit far south, not looking to go much farther than the Seaside area. The upper Wilson though looks like a pretty river, although well populated with swimmers and floaters!

Seems like most all rivers are salmon/steelhead/SRC fisheries in the area. Really just looking for some trout rivers/tribs, in the coastal pass area somewhere. We will already have to get OR license and don't want to have to deal with CRC's for one or two days of lazy fishing! I do appreciate all the input though! ;)

wadin' boot

Donny, you're out of your element...
WFF Supporter
Why not try your hand at Coho fishing? Plus it is a pink year, don't know about Pinks down there but Evan Burke is guru of all finned creatures, maybe message him. We did a similar trip last year and ended up fishing very little, way more walks and stuff. I have thought about this view from that trip way more than trout fishing in the last year:

1615411334520.png

High&NeverDry

That is absolutely gorgeous!! Too be honest, no haters!, I have never salmon/steelhead fished before. I've always wanted to try steelhead though. So to do so, would require an investment of $$ for a 1 or two days of limited fishing times...and I just bought a new fiberglass rod that I want to really use this summer!!

gt

the Nestucca is best fished by floating from above bridge 6, water level dependent. down lower, crowds of folks but doable. wilson up high might be and OK bet to try but you are planning on a tough time of year and the water levels are bound to be low and clear. i have zero good advice for trout only salmon and steelhead but again, not at the time of year you are planning.

Gfisher2003

Probably fishing the bays and tidewater for SRC would be your best bet. If you have a kayak or other floatable thing you'll have good access and would just have to get lucky with the fish. You could call one of the fly shops down here for advice on patterns or where to look for the fish that time of year.

surfnfish

Why not try your hand at Coho fishing? Plus it is a pink year, don't know about Pinks down there but Evan Burke is guru of all finned creatures, maybe message him. We did a similar trip last year and ended up fishing very little, way more walks and stuff. I have thought about this view from that trip way more than trout fishing in the last year:

View attachment 274562
great pic of the backside of Cape Kiwanda

BC33

That is absolutely gorgeous!! Too be honest, no haters!, I have never salmon/steelhead fished before. I've always wanted to try steelhead though. So to do so, would require an investment of $$ for a 1 or two days of limited fishing times...and I just bought a new fiberglass rod that I want to really use this summer!!
I know some stuff further south in the coast range that sees few fishermen and has nice resident cutties......you should be able to achieve a bend in ur new glass rod on the Nehalem with resident cutties.....a big one will prolly be 10-12 inches

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts