Northwest Oregon Rivers

Porter

There is some damn nice fishing on the northern Oregon coast, one of the problems is you have to find the road that takes you inland yet leads you to decent river access (if wading). But of course if willing to hike a bit then opportunities are bountiful. Be careful of the sgottabug on the coastal rivers.

DerekWhipple

Resident trout fishing isn't the best, but SRC's can be a decent size. These days I wouldn't go out with the intent of catching a summer steelhead in the wilson, probably better to just swing wet flies for SRC and a steelhead might be a bonus. They are in there, but very few.

There are some anglers who do it, but fly-fishing the salt on the coast is still relatively untapped (I've only done it a couple of times, but should do it more). Rock bass and lingcod off the jetties, and surf perch in the surf. Bonus is all three of them taste good too.

surfnfish

Suggest the Nestucca River with my friend Jack, swinging for King's at anchor in lower tidewater, right in town. Jack's very patient, highly knowledgeable. Only need a half day as best fishing is from an hour after low tide through the hour prior to high tide. Lot's of place to stay in town, the Anchorage motel reasonable with kitchens, short walk to the pub with great fish and chips. Anything you catch will be chrome bright and feisty as hell.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
Why not try your hand at Coho fishing? Plus it is a pink year, don't know about Pinks down there but Evan Burke is guru of all finned creatures, maybe message him. We did a similar trip last year and ended up fishing very little, way more walks and stuff. I have thought about this view from that trip way more than trout fishing in the last year:

View attachment 274562
Not sure who this Mr. Burke is, but I can speak in his stead.

If you're shore-bound, there are some really good opportunities for coho and surf perch from the bank. I won't post the locations publicly, because search functions and googlers are a thing. But I can answer PM's because they're not super huge secrets.

The Tillamook rivers best fishing opportunity will be sea run cuts during the summer months. But with this year's coho forecast, my efforts will be saltier in nature (I tend to just salmon and tuna fish that time of year anyways).

Pink fishing south of the Straight of Juan de Fuca/Puget Sound is not really a thing.

Last edited:

GAT

Dumbfounded
Thank you all for your input! Looks like we will just pull over and fish if we see something that looks fishy!
Just make sure you check out the regs first. There are some odd regulations for some coastal rivers. I was born and raised in Oregon and have lived on this side of the state for 40 some odd years yet I've been known to fish a coastal river for a specific species only to find out later it was actually closed to fishing for that species. :eek:

DerekWhipple

I saw Evan Burke at the WinCo on 122nd yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts