First Trout this spring.

Jiminsandiego

Dusted off my gear (finally), and made it out to a local western lake. About a dozen "vessels" were there when I arrived at the crack of noon. Most were using indicators and some were catching fish, but most were not. I trolled (and cast) a leech... shallow, deep, slow, fast, black then white. After only getting one strike all afternoon I was really getting mello... figured I'd probably get skunked. Then a 17" Brown bit my white bunny leech. I could see it was a Brown after it jumped a couple of times... Then came the eagles......I've played this game before, and have unwillingling fed these birds several times. But today they were very determined. Perhaps they were hungry, or perhaps they hankered for a Brown trout dinner,,, but being within an arms length of those huge talons.... brought my "angling experience" up a few notches. Good times.

Jiminsandiego

For once, it seemed that the trout and myself were on the same team. He was jumping out of the water and I was thinking "oh no, don't do that". I was trying desperately to get him in the net to save his life. Meanwhile the two raptors were working together against us. One in front of me and one swooping in from behind. I'm yelling and splashing my net at them but they were completely unafraid. Both me and the trout got a very close look at those talons when I netted him. As I held him in the water with my net, I think we may have bonded a little, while I waited until it was safe for me to release him.

Last edited:

Jiminsandiego

Joey..him and his family. Majestic creatures to be sure. Unlike most other Bald Eagles..Joey has an "angle". Much like a gangster, his "turf" is the lake. No doubt he has to fight for it. He's got a good racket going on there. In a certain way, that makes Joey a pretty damn cool Bald Eagle. But if he could stay 3ft away from my float tube..that would be nice.

Last edited:

Jiminsandiego

It wasn't just me. Everyone I talked to today had a story. One guy had two fish on and two eagles to deal with . For me, it just adds to the equation (and honestly, the fun) but those birds will school you to be sure. Their use of teamwork, distraction, sun direction and stealth is remarkable.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts