Need an Inexpensive Fly Rod Quickly

Skook

I think the solution is in your original post. Your dad bought him an outfit but he never stuck with fly fishing.

Buy what you'd like. If he loves it he'll think your the best dad of all time. If he hates it, you've got yourself a good outfit.
I like the way you think....

BC33

George Daniel is the instructor, so that’s a real possibility.

Thank you to all who have replied.
Wow! I knew he did some college classes....does your son have any idea how cool this is?

I'd look at an Aetos or a Carbon XL.....I have one of each and I love them......I'd go prolly go 9' 5wt as a good all around starting point

Skook

Wow! I knew he did some college classes....does your son have any idea how cool this is?
Yep. Mr. Daniel is following in the footsteps of greats like George Harvey and Joe Humphreys as a physical education professor at Penn State teaching fly fishing. I think it’s a full-time gig.

I tried to put it into perspective for my son by telling him it would be like having Brett Favre as a phys ed instructor or Dave Grohl as a music teacher.

I’m hoping Mr. Daniel leaves more of an impression on him regarding fly fishing than I have been able to.

MT_Flyfisher

Go Penn State!

Your son will probably be fishing Spring Creek, and possibly Big Fishing Creek, Penns Creek, and perhaps Spruce Creek and the Little Juniata, all within a few minutes to 45 minutes from State College.

I probably spent more time fishing than studying when I was a student there, so I’m an expert on recommending rod choices for your son and his friend (just kidding!) and I’d go with a 9’ 5wt (good all around rod) or maybe a 9’ 4wt. (Joe Paterno was just beginning his head coaching career at Penn State when I was there if that puts my time there into perspective.)

p.s. Make sure you son gets the low down from Daniel on this year’s 17 year cicadas hatch. Fishing them around there this year should be epic.

John

Skook

p.s. Make sure you son gets the low down from Daniel on this year’s 17 year cicadas hatch. Fishing them around there this year should be epic.
Great advice. I saw that he put up a video on YouTube a few weeks ago tying a few cicada patterns, so he is onto it.

ghetme

I like Squamishpoacher's suggestion.

You can also go the Walmart route as a cheaper alternative. I believe they sell a Cortland package 5/6wt rod and reel with a floating line for $30-40. I cannot gauge how "good" they are since it is my only single-hand and have only used it a handful of times.

Last edited:

CookieMonster

My collegiate fly fishing club has a communal gear collection for folks without to use on a short term basis. It’s a much smaller school than PSU and I’d be surprised if they don’t have a similar system to outfit students taking the class. Might be worth asking about.

Skook

I know they have gear for use during their official class outings, but I’m not sure whether they are allowed to use it on their own time. My son seems to have implied that it is not available for use on personal time, but I’m not certain that he inquired.

There may also be a student-run fly fishing club that has equipment. I’ll have him look into it.

AdrianM

craigslist or offerup in his area may be good too. would save you shipping (which is like $20 or more).

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
George Daniel is the instructor, so that’s a real possibility.

Thank you to all who have replied.

Wow. Lucky kid!

You could send an email to George and ask him what to get. He was involved in the development of the Orvis Clearwater and Recon euro rods, so he may steer you in that direction.

Eco.Geeko

Yea, ask (or have your son ask) George for a recommendation, or at least an overview of what kind of fishing they'll be doing. I would recommend the CT generally, but not if there will be euronymphing. I love my BVK, but only use it for streamers. There's no all-around "best" rod, it depends how you want to fish.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts