Need an Inexpensive Fly Rod Quickly

Skook

I was looking around on the Internet last night and came across the Redington Classic Trout on sale for $127.49 at AvidMax with free shipping. The regular price is $149.99.

I decided to buy a 4wt 8’6” rod at that price. I already have a reel set up with a 4wt line that I don’t use often, so I’ll send that combo up as one of the outfits for my son and his classmate to use.

Thanks all.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
I have the Redington CT 8 1/2' in 3 and 5 wt and love 'em both! So naturally I think you made an excellent choice.

hookedonthefly

Sounds covered; but, I can help if needed. May be slower than needed on my end. Ryan/Avid Angler or KJsteelhead on the forum too. Ed

Robert Engleheart

Robert
WFF Supporter
I was looking around on the Internet last night and came across the Redington Classic Trout on sale for $127.49 at AvidMax with free shipping. The regular price is $149.99.

I decided to buy a 4wt 8’6” rod at that price. I already have a reel set up with a 4wt line that I don’t use often, so I’ll send that combo up as one of the outfits for my son and his classmate to use.

Thanks all.
I have the same rod, paired with a Rio LT line, DT4 weight. Sweet dry fly rod.

jreising326

I'll throw a vote in for the Aetos. I picked up a 10' 5# at Sportsmans Warehouse for $125 and it's really a great rod. There were a bunch of them online at Sierra Trading Post before Christmas, but looks like the old model is nearly sold out everywhere. Very smooth medium action rod. Looks like there's a few on ebay.

The Fenlite is a Step Up from the Aetos and can also be found on sale on ebay. It has better components and "fit and finish" than the Aetos, but it's considered a Fast Rod. I have 2 of those as well for my kids. I like the way the Aetos casts better, but the Fenlite is also good and seems to be even better overlined by 1 weight. I'd get a 4# Fenlite or 5# Aetos 9' or 10' rod. 9' for PA, but if Lake Fishing/Pontoon Fishing is of interest I really like the 10' rods.

Good Luck!

jreising326

I swear I don't work for Fenwick... :) but for anyone interested there are a few Aetos's left to be had cheap... There's a "last one" 10' 3wt on ebay for $132 currently, which might make a nice budget Euronymph rod for someone interested in such things.

Jesseg122

My son is taking a fly tying/fishing class at college. He called today and asked if I could send up an outfit or two so that he and another kid taking the class could go out and try some fishing. My dad bought my son an inexpensive fly rod years ago when he was younger, but much to my dismay, he never stuck with fly fishing. I have some rods of my own but none that I really want to entrust to the care of a couple of drunken college kids living off campus with a bunch of other drunken college kids.

I'm thinking I might find a 4wt or 5wt rod on ebay and mail it to him so that his friend could use it. I figure it's worth a hundred or two $ if it gives two young guys a chance to cultivate a lifelong hobby. Anyway, my question is, what are my best options? This rod would be used for trout fishing in central PA's limestone and freestone streams. I'm thinking a 8'6" or 9' rod would fit the bill. The class started with tying flies but they haven't fished yet. I think they plan to fish two or three times later in the spring and can use the school's equipment on those outings. I'm not sure if the professor/instructor will teach them "traditional-style" fly fishing or more of a Euro-nymphing style, so I think it might be best to stick with a traditional style rod instead of a more specialized nymphing rod.

I'm thinking Fenwick Aetos, Redington Classic Trout, Echo Carbon XL, TFO BVK on clearance, etc. I have no personal experience with any of these rods, but I wouldn't doubt if they are better than the rods I am fishing from 20 or 25 years ago.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.
I'd go with the cabelas big horn combo for $99 not too cheap and will be reliable. Comes with reel already loaded with leader and floating line

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
Thank you. I appreciate the offer, but now that I think about it more, I have one 5wt line and one 4wt line that I can spare without leaving myself short of a 5wt line if I send them two 5wt rods.

Seems like a weird way to decide on a rod weight, but if I go with two 5wt rods (my son's rod is a 5wt), I'll need to buy a new line and switch it out on a reel that I already have set up with a spare 4wt line. I think I should go with a 4wt rod for this reason. I wouldn't mind overlining a rod for them but probably shouldn't have one of them being underlined for two new fly casters.
The 5 is gonna be the most versatile for him to learn with. I think a lot of us learned on one. I’ve got good floating line that’s brand new that I’d be willing to sell you at a. discount. PM me if interested. 5X tapered leader too. Get him on a 20 inch trout and he’ll fish for life.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts