Fishing destination fly/gear

BC33

Meeting my bro in early July for a fishin trip...

I'm in Western OR he's in WY.....We're thinking ID is a good midway point. He and his son have dabbled in fly fishing but are more gear guys.

I'd like to get em more into it.....somewhat selfish of me, cuz he lives in WY and I wanna head out there to visit with a fly focus....we hit grey reef years ago and it was awesome!

So anyway, maybe a lake setting gives us more options for fly/gear......like to hit up flowing water close by too....nothing super fancy...

Suggestions?

Last edited:

Nooksack Mac

I'd suggest you meet up in West Yellowstone, MT. The ultra-famous Madison River practically flows through town. Great little rivers like the Firehole and the Gibbon are less than 20 miles east. Hebgen Lake, considered by many the best trout lake in Montana, is about eight miles n.w. The Idaho border and Henry's Fork River and Henry's Lake are about 20 miles west of town, which has guides and fly shops galore.

Brian in OR.

I'd suggest you meet up in West Yellowstone, MT. The ultra-famous Madison River practically flows through town. Great little rivers like the Firehole and the Gibbon are less than 20 miles east. Hebgen Lake, considered by many the best trout lake in Montana, is about eight miles n.w. The Idaho border and Henry's Fork River and Henry's Lake are about 20 miles west of town, which has guides and fly shops galore.

This......

BC33

Thanks for the responses guys....that area is on my bucket list for sure.....Henry's Fork and the Madison especially....I would love to continue this discussion in the future

It kinda looks like we may be staying in Boise. My mom grew up there and we have fam there still....I've fished the SFB before, and I kinda want to hit the Boise in town. We've stayed at the Cottonwood suites down on the river before....never fished in town though

The Owyhee is a little over an hour from Boise. I've fly fished it with streamers while my buddy absolutely destroyed me casting crankbaits.

Mike.Cline

Bozeman, Montana
I'd suggest you meet up in West Yellowstone, MT. The ultra-famous Madison River practically flows through town. Great little rivers like the Firehole and the Gibbon are less than 20 miles east.
I would caution planning to fish the Firehole, Gibbon and Madison in YNP in July with any expectation of decent fishing. Particularly the Firehole and Gibbon which are much too warm to fish well in July and August due to geothermal influences. In fact based on this season's snow pack, some seasoned outfitters are predicting the Firehole may be done by the last week in June. Even last year which was a decent water year, the Firehole pushed into the mid-70 degree range in July.

When these rivers are too warm and the water low the fish are lethargic and almost always will be stressed to death if caught. In the Firehole, most of the best fish anyway migrate out of the river into numerous cold water tribs where they are near impossible to catch.

There's plenty of great water outside the west side of the park.

BC33

The Owyhee is a little over an hour from Boise. I've fly fished it with streamers while my buddy absolutely destroyed me casting crankbaits.
I've fished the Owyhee on multiple occasions, and I prefer to hunt heads......but good call.....a gear guy could do well....blows my mind that they allow bait, yet its C&R for the browns

BC33

Hwy 20 is “Rocky Mountain Fly Way” with a video/movie on YouTube with info on all the trout waters in south Idaho.
I watched that a while back...pretty sweet.....ID has a lot of bitchin places. If I didnt have to work, I'd be hanging out up there....montana....Wyoming...eastern Sierra, etc..

bakerite

Lots of good fishing in this neck of the woods. Owyhee reservoir is great for bass, carp and crappie and is just minutes from the river. Great if someone has a boat and motor to explore. Snake river reservoirs are the same deal. Will be hot camping there or by the Owyhee river. Also good high lakes if you like to hike and every creek has little fish of some variety. There is great fishing all across Idaho too. Stanley is a great place to visit, not so much for big fish, but lots of water and views to die for. I guess my point would be that there is a lot to see besides the fish.

kmudgn

Stand in the middle of the street at the intersection of Firehole Ave and N. Canyon Street in W. Yellowstone. Drink 4 beers quickly, close your eyes and spin around like you are going to swat at a Pinata. Point your index finger out. Whatever direction you end up pointing at, follow it. There is so much good water in that part of MT/WY/ID you almost can't go wrong wherever you go.

hookedonthefly

Stand in the middle of the street at the intersection of Firehole Ave and N. Canyon Street in W. Yellowstone. Drink 4 beers quickly, close your eyes and spin around like you are going to swat at a Pinata. Point your index finger out. Whatever direction you end up pointing at, follow it. There is so much good water in that part of MT/WY/ID you almost can't go wrong wherever you go.
True That. Ed

hookedonthefly

Sorry NFR....Lochsa whitewater is epic with fishing nearby. The “Red Shed” and Clearwater are not far away. Living vicariously. Have the Best Damn Time. Ed

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts