Is my chironomid on the bottom?

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
I like to peg mine like this. I find they cast easier, float upright and I don't lose the indicator if I break off (swivel). I don't know how Ira sets his up (I'd like to), but I feel like I'm getting the subtle takes fairly well.
View attachment 275159

If I don't feel it, I don't want it :D (I don't need no steenking indeecators - course I'm not a still water guy, but please don't tell anyone).

Cheers

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
I like to peg mine like this. I find they cast easier, float upright and I don't lose the indicator if I break off (swivel). I don't know how Ira sets his up (I'd like to), but I feel like I'm getting the subtle takes fairly well.
View attachment 275159

I peg on the opposite side so I can use the peg itself as a visual tool. In lakes, I rarely lose my indicators, so I’m not worried about that. It wouldn’t matter anyway, because I avoid using swivels at all costs when fishing under an indicator.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
I peg on the opposite side so I can use the peg itself as a visual tool. In lakes, I rarely lose my indicators, so I’m not worried about that. It wouldn’t matter anyway, because I avoid using swivels at all costs when fishing under an indicator.
Irafly, I got a question if you don't mind. I've been using a ring which stops the black plug from going to fly after a take. But float itself get's past. I think the float has made a couple early releases with stocker size fish on the upper fly when they come near the surface. Is that something that happens or am I missing something rigging?

bchapman

Sorry to hijack this into an indicator thread, but I thought I’d share a source of indicators I was lucky enough to come across - Floats Unlimited. They have peg floats of all shapes, colors and sizes.

Link for slot-less pear shaped:
Basically, $7 for 25, or $25 for 100. I can vouch for the quality - as good as any others I have used. (As much as I like Phil Rowley, I can’t stomach paying $7 for 4 of his branded indicators...)

I usually arrange for bulk orders to share amongst my buddies.

Last edited:

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
Sorry to hijack this into an indicator thread, but I thought I’d share a source of indicators I was lucky enough to come across - Floats Unlimited. They have peg floats of all shapes, colors and sizes.

Basically, $7 for 25, or $25 for 100. I can vouch for the quality - as good as any others I have used. (As much as I like Phil Rowley, I can’t stomach paying $7 for 4 of his branded indicators...)

Where do you think everyone from the forum is buying their indicators from? :). I’ve been pimping that site for quite awhile now, but not once have they given me a kick back!

Last edited:

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
Irafly, I got a question if you don't mind. I've been using a ring which stops the black plug from going to fly after a take. But float itself get's past. I think the float has made a couple early releases with stocker size fish on the upper fly when they come near the surface. Is that something that happens or am I missing something rigging?

I’m sorry, but I don’t think I understand your question.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
I’m sorry, but I don’t think I understand your question.
My fault, I was not clear, probably not a real clear thought. I was taking a break between grading projects to be a little less bias.
On a couple occasions I've had the float go all the way to the fishes mouth after it releases. Many stay deep and try to rub the hook on the bottom, so it's not an issue. But at some points if a fish get shallow enough the float goes to the fishes mouth. I don't mind when they are near landing but in a few instances it has occurred pretty quick. Although since I asked I think I got it. I've been running as small as possible and Buzzy's photo, which seems common, appear a size or two bigger than I've been using. Doesn't happen often. Just need more experience.

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
My fault, I was not clear, probably not a real clear thought. I was taking a break between grading projects to be a little less bias.
On a couple occasions I've had the float go all the way to the fishes mouth after it releases. Many stay deep and try to rub the hook on the bottom, so it's not an issue. But at some points if a fish get shallow enough the float goes to the fishes mouth. I don't mind when they are near landing but in a few instances it has occurred pretty quick. Although since I asked I think I got it. I've been running as small as possible and Buzzy's photo, which seems common, appear a size or two bigger than I've been using. Doesn't happen often. Just need more experience.

Got you! I use a big indicator and my top fly is usually a micro leech or something else big enough that it won’t pass through the indicator.

jwg

Thanks I was trying to remember where I had bought indicators before.
You made it easy, very timely

J

Zak

WFF Supporter
Got you! I use a big indicator and my top fly is usually a micro leech or something else big enough that it won’t pass through the indicator.
I'm new to indicator fishing in lakes. What's big? .75"? 1.0"? I'm going to buy some from that site but don't know where to start. What do you recommend? And, thanks!

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
I'm new to indicator fishing in lakes. What's big? .75"? 1.0"? I'm going to buy some from that site but don't know where to start. What do you recommend? And, thanks!

To each ultimately is to own, but I like the pear shaped orange and white indicators that are 1” to 1.25” I’ve fished bigger, but those two sizes seem to be the sweet spot for me.

bchapman

Where do you think everyone from the forum is buying their indicators from? :). I’ve been pimping that site for quite awhile now, but not once have they given me a kick back!
Ha... can't believe I missed that. Would have saved a bunch of $ if I'd gotten onto it earlier.

bchapman

To each ultimately is to own, but I like the pear shaped orange and white indicators that are 1” to 1.25” I’ve fished bigger, but those two sizes seem to be the sweet spot for me.
For me, the 1" is my go to. But, depending on how deep I'm fishing, how spooky the fish are and how calm it is, I'll use a .87". In some rare instances where I'm indicator fishing along a reed line or right near shore (or both), I'll use even smaller.

I have a friend who has used as big as a 2" in rough water - watching him cast it is hilarious.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info