Is my chironomid on the bottom?

jwg

I'm new to indicator fishing in lakes. What's big? .75"? 1.0"? I'm going to buy some from that site but don't know where to start. What do you recommend? And, thanks!
I got 0.75 and I find them a little small.
I'm going to order 0.87 and 1"
Jay

tomL

PrpUWr9.jpg

Been using this and a square tooth pick for nearly 40 years.

Still haven't found a reason to change.

Tom

Reactions: Zak

Buzzy

PrpUWr9.jpg

Been using this and a square tooth pick for nearly 40 years.

Still haven't found a reason to change.

Tom
Tom -
Is this your rig when you're fishing deep water (deeper than your rod is long)? I lost or broke off fish trying to pull the toothpick from pegged indicators when the distance between the fly and indicator was greater than the length of my rod, hence the quick release indicator advantage for me with long leaders and fishing deep.

Today I was indicator fishing water less than 6 feet deep and used a corkie with a toothpick.

tomL

Tom -
Is this your rig when you're fishing deep water (deeper than your rod is long)? I lost or broke off fish trying to pull the toothpick from pegged indicators when the distance between the fly and indicator was greater than the length of my rod, hence the quick release indicator advantage for me with long leaders and fishing deep.

Today I was indicator fishing water less than 6 feet deep and used a corkie with a toothpick.
I use this set-up all the time, regardless of water depth. The only time that a fish may break me off is when the water is between 12-15 feet. That is because the fish can see the boat when I am ready to pull the tooth pick. Anything deeper is no problem. My deepest depth was 55 feet.

Tom

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
Thanks for your input everyone. The one's I got are 5/8" or about .63", so as figured out earlier maybe a bit small. I'm going to use the link and get a couple more sizes. No swivels, fish take 'em. This is what I had today, minus one tangled piece of tippet above the top fly I didn't want to retie late.

Attachments

• 20210317_122018 (2).jpg
    20210317_122018 (2).jpg
    911.2 KB · Views: 22

MGTom

WFF Supporter
Tom, what you do is let them mess with that naked swivel a few times and then fool them with my Swivelmid. :D

View attachment 275387
That is actually nearly it. Small black swivel. I quit fishing split shot for the same reason.
Oh, and to the point of the tread, I set depth to when the bottom fly just drug bottom, indicated by gunk or wind/retrieve hangup.

Old406Kid

That is actually nearly it. Small black swivel. I quit fishing split shot for the same reason.
Oh, and to the point of the tread, I set depth to when the bottom fly just drug bottom, indicated by gunk or wind/retrieve hangup.
My approach to depth is to clamp a cheap forceps to my line and drop it to the bottom. If my pegged indicator is pulled below the surface I adjust accordingly until the fly is at least the length of the forceps above the bottom and the indicator is at the surface. At that point, if the wind allows, I'll always fish parallel to the shoreline rather than casting perpendicular to potentially avoid shallower or deeper water.

MGTom

WFF Supporter
My approach to depth is to clamp a cheap forceps to my line and drop it to the bottom. If my pegged indicator is pulled below the surface I adjust accordingly until the fly is at least the length of the forceps above the bottom and the indicator is at the surface. At that point, if the wind allows, I'll always fish parallel to the shoreline rather than casting perpendicular to potentially avoid shallower or deeper water.
Thanks, I'll need that. I've been casting from shore since my tube died a year ago so just some probing casts then I'm good.
I'll now have to figure it out in the water as the ups man just dropped this off from Mike at Silver Bow.
20210317_152640.jpg

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
I use slinky weights that I’ve found through the years river fishing. I used to get free hemostats, but they are all gone now. I also have an ice fishing weight that is attached to an alligator clip that I use if it is handy.

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
I use a large binder clip. I can attach it easily to the bottom chironomid when testing depth and then attach it onto my vest when done. And if I lose it, I have boxes of them in my office.
Steve

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info