Is my chironomid on the bottom?

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
I’m not quite that fancy, but I want to be.
I think the forceps where you want to be was the ideal depth check idea. Or the ratio 4 out = one down. Why do math if you don't need to. Just as a surveyor I like to play with angles and math. I'm sick, I know. My wife calls me "her other special needs child", besides her students. But I could teach you, at CC I teach this to kids who didn't take it or didn't learn it in high school. 20210319_090900.jpg
Tool for reading angle. Line tube up with line, then adjust level bubble, which works on gravity, to find angle from hoizontal. 20210319_091600.jpg

Last edited:

lee c

Learned long ago on the ocean, scope was everything. I had enough anchor gear to anchor in 40 fathoms, but with little scope, was always better to run into twenty fathoms and have plenty of scope.

Buzzy

I think the forceps where you want to be was the ideal depth check idea. Or the ratio 4 out = one down. Why do math if you don't need to. Just as a surveyor I like to play with angles and math. I'm sick, I know. My wife calls me "her other special needs child", besides her students. But I could teach you, at CC I teach this to kids who didn't take it or didn't learn it in high school. View attachment 275634
Tool for reading angle. Line tube up with line, then adjust level bubble, which works on gravity, to find angle from hoizontal. View attachment 275635
Tom, with downriggers you don't need all your inclinometers, trig tables (remember those?) and all your scientific gear. ;-)

MGTom

WFF Supporter
Tom, with downriggers you don't need all your inclinometers, trig tables (remember those?) and all your scientific gear. ;-)
We only got one on the boat right now and my son uses it. Doesn't seem to matter hookup wise. And if we can ones always long and shallow too.
Even though it's in all our phones now I still teach how to interpolate a table. Knowing how something was calculated in the past helps figure acceptable errors today. That's the deal today, we got to teach legacy and current or you get button pushers.
I'm sorry, I just realized thread drift. Last day of finals and my brains really going. Excuse me.

jwg

I think the forceps where you want to be was the ideal depth check idea. Or the ratio 4 out = one down. Why do math if you don't need to. Just as a surveyor I like to play with angles and math. I'm sick, I know. My wife calls me "her other special needs child", besides her students. But I could teach you, at CC I teach this to kids who didn't take it or didn't learn it in high school. View attachment 275634
Tool for reading angle. Line tube up with line, then adjust level bubble, which works on gravity, to find angle from hoizontal. View attachment 275635
Cool tool.

Is there a less expensive version, perhaps without the precision of the vernier

j

MGTom

WFF Supporter
Cool tool.

Is there a less expensive version, perhaps without the precision of the vernier

j
If you have a silva ranger compass, or many others, there is one built in. It's the little black swinging arrow in where the declination adjustment is. There are other inexpensive tools like REI Backcountry Grade Finder that are inexpensive as well.

Reactions: jwg

Squamishpoacher

Don't make it too complicated. There's a lot of variables that will affect what depth you're at. Leader coil is one of them and that's why guys are going to braid. But otherwise, just find a spot where some bugs are on the surface, calculate the wind drift to figure roughly where they're coming from. Anchor down and cast. If your indy is drifting, you know you aren't on the bottom and that's good. Adjust down a bit if you think you need to but don't get carried away.

And here....here is the secret to it all...

be patient.

Big Rob

36pk of 1" slotted floats on Amazon is $9. Trout Magnet E-Z Trout Float
Peg it, one dab of gorilla glue on a pin into the slot, and pull the peg.
Slot glued and you're good to go.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts