Youtube Spot Burner

jreising326

I'm looking for some general advice or possibly just a conversation on what to do about Spot Burning. I've recently discovered a Youtube channel being run by a new Fly Fisherman and he's revealing a lot of details and locations of many of the places and rivers I've been fishing for 25+ years. Yesterday I finally posted a comment which I think was constructive, recognizing he was new to the Sport but Spot Burning was poor etiquette. Since Covid the waters he's showing have been getting hammered, an there a lot of out of town guides bringing in lots of clients because they couldn't get to Alaska or BC last year. I linked the article below for reference.

I was hoping he or someone would reply but I noticed he's either blocked or deleted my comment. I can see if if I'm logged into youtube but nobody else can. From his channel it's clear he just started Fly Fishing about a year ago and this seems like he's trying to develop a following and make some money.

I'm not sure if I should be angry or confused and whether I should send him an email explaining my concern? Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky? Either way I don't feel good about this.

This is the article I linked to my post.

Snopro

Not interested in the article, how about a link to his channel? :D

I think it's something we have to get used to. Had some popular flat billers do episodes on two of my favorites this Fall. To their credit they didn't actually name where they were fishing, but it wasn't hard to figure out. Unfortunately names were used in the comments.

Woodman60

I am old and cranky as well. There are some good fly fishing Youtube channels out there with a lot of attention to not burning locations that are not well known. Overall, there are way too many new fly fishermen, and new people in the outdoors in general, who have no appreciation or sense of etiquette. Another thing that drives me crazy about some of these Youtube folks is the poor handling of fish...fingers in gills, out of the water for minutes, etc.

I wish I thought an email would help...

dustinchromers

I'm looking for some general advice or possibly just a conversation on what to do about Spot Burning. I've recently discovered a Youtube channel being run by a new Fly Fisherman and he's revealing a lot of details and locations of many of the places and rivers I've been fishing for 25+ years. Yesterday I finally posted a comment which I think was constructive, recognizing he was new to the Sport but Spot Burning was poor etiquette. Since Covid the waters he's showing have been getting hammered, an there a lot of out of town guides bringing in lots of clients because they couldn't get to Alaska or BC last year. I linked the article below for reference.

I was hoping he or someone would reply but I noticed he's either blocked or deleted my comment. I can see if if I'm logged into youtube but nobody else can. From his channel it's clear he just started Fly Fishing about a year ago and this seems like he's trying to develop a following and make some money.

I'm not sure if I should be angry or confused and whether I should send him an email explaining my concern? Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky? Either way I don't feel good about this.

This is the article I linked to my post.

Your spot belongs to him now. You will have to find a new spot. No amount of reasoning will change what he does. People that post stuff like that have an ego that needs feeding by social media accolades. He cares more about this than quality fishing.

Flylords doing an article on spot burning is laughable. They should not be calling the kettle black as they are the pot and associated with people who do the very things they are warning about.

jreising326

Yeah, agree with you guys. However I don't want to drive traffic to his site and do him any financial favors at least not yet. A fellow angler/friend of mine also posted and then was immediately deleted. So I think I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and wait for his next video. Unfortunately he is on a tear, he's burned 12 different spots/rivers in 5 months!

The videos are really high quality, but he literally identifies where he is by name, shows the hike in, brings a drone and shows aerial overhead footage, etc. I thought he was just naive but now I'm thinking he knows exactly what he's doing. Depending on the consensus here maybe I'll change my mind and post away his channel. So far he only has 500 followers, but in his last video he says he actually plans to pick up the pace on his videos because he has free time after completing a video project.

surfnsully

I will be happy to provide you my spots and let you go through the runs first. It does not bother me to see others on the water. If I want privacy and seclusion I will find it with a little effort. :) Let me know and I will send coordinates.

BC33

Never understood why people want to squwak about lesser known spots. Growing up a hunter, you learn early on to keep yer mouth shut unless u want be competing every frick and frack in the county. Like much of what I see today, I don't think people know what theyre signing up for.....all these young lions will learn the error of their ways the hard way

Last edited:

jreising326

I'm not worried about seclusion, I'm worried about fishing pressure and the fisheries themselves. There fortunately is plenty of water to still find good places to fish, but drawing in droves of out of towners and out of state guides to the point there are so many rafts and drift boats floating in your way is frustrating. If the quality of fishing wasn't being affected I wouldn't care, but on some of these streams they are being negatively impacted and the fish become highly selective.

dustinchromers

I will be happy to provide you my spots and let you go through the runs first. It does not bother me to see others on the water. If I want privacy and seclusion I will find it with a little effort. :) Let me know and I will send coordinates.

Do you feel the same about your surf spots. If you do my money is on that you are a newer surfer and know no better when breaks were not crowded by kooks and "share the stoke" bros that drive out from their city of origin to play surfer dude.

I do want solitude when I fish. I don't loath other anglers but I certainly don't like seeing a commercial in the form of a cool video about a spot I like. Same goes for a surf spot. I would never advertise someone else's break nor my own home break because that break is not mine alone. I share it with others and they don't appreciate increased traffic anymore than I do. Same for fishing.

dustinchromers

Never understood why people want to squwak about lesser known spots. Growing up a hunter, you learn early on to keep yer mouth unless u want be competing every frick and frack in the county. Like much of what I see today, I don't think people know what theyre signing up for.....all these young lions will learn the error of their ways the hard way

Lions discovery spots on their own not by internet scouting. They then in turn treat it like any unearned thing. They squander it. They are parasitic not regal predators. Young leeches perhaps.

Steve Birrer

I have been beating this drum for years. I love to read fishing reports. The tactics, conditions, some scenic shots, and even quick fish pictures. But there is simply no reason to even mention a river let alone a section. Same with any body of water. NO goo ever comes from posting even general areas of your fishing. It adds nothing to the quality of the report or enjoyment people get from reading them. Only the internet scouters enjoy seeing any kind of information on the where.

Brian in OR.

Since Covid the waters he's showing have been getting hammered, an there a lot of out of town guides bringing in lots of clients because they couldn't get to Alaska or BC last year.
So your saying all the people and guides that are going there is because they saw his youtube channel and thats the cause of it.....

jreising326

No Brian, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that for many folks these places are special and should be treated like a Cathedral and not a AM/PM or Strip Mall. Many years ago when I was just starting to fish some of these spots, I was in my 20's and ran into a nice old guy with an Urn. He was dumping his fathers ashes in their primitive camping area they shared for many years. This is at a location an hours drive from blacktop, and only accessible with a 4 x 4 or a very long hike. That the river this guy just posted very close to that very spot. That's probably what triggered me to final say something to him. That spot is not over-fished at all.

Now maybe someone will argue the guy shouldn't be dumping ashes in the forest, but I'll reserve judgement on him. It was moving too me.

surfnsully

Do you feel the same about your surf spots. If you do my money is on that you are a newer surfer and know no better when breaks were not crowded by kooks and "share the stoke" bros that drive out from their city of origin to play surfer dude.

I do want solitude when I fish. I don't loath other anglers but I certainly don't like seeing a commercial in the form of a cool video about a spot I like. Same goes for a surf spot. I would never advertise someone else's break nor my own home break because that break is not mine alone. I share it with others and they don't appreciate increased traffic anymore than I do. Same for fishing.
Yes. I have been surfing since the early 70's and began in Santa Cruz where localism is strong. I have surfed up and down the coast from Ensendad MX to Norther CA. I always thought that I had found an "unknown" spot when I showed up and it was empty. Weeks later guess what? People were in my secret spot.. You know why? There are not secret spots for those of us who travel for adventure.

Also, during my adventures many a surfer took me to a new place as I traveled up and down the coast and made new friends. All was good.

JayB

Unfortunately in this particular case, I don't think that there's much else you can do besides trying to make a case that a neutral third party would consider fair and persuasive.

Other than that - it's "the burned hand teaches best." Sounds like this guy will find the spots he's pimping out overwhelmed with crowds and providing consistently underwhelming fishing.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts