Youtube Spot Burner

jreising326

I also want to say I don't want to discourage anyone who disagrees with my view of this topic. In fact that's why I started the post in the first place. Surfnsully also made in point in the post above, about meeting people and discovering new "spots". I think that's another reason I don't like Spot Burning, because there usually is no relationship made, and I fear many of the folks this stuff attracts won't respect these places as much as they deserve. Full disclosure I'm 55 years old, and if I were just starting out and in my 20's I might look at it differently. I've met and made many friends over the years out fishing solo, that became fishing buddies. I guess to me that's how it should be done.

surfnsully

I also want to say I don't want to discourage anyone who disagrees with my view of this topic. In fact that's why I started the post in the first place. Surfnsully also made in point in the post above, about meeting people and discovering new "spots". I think that's another reason I don't like Spot Burning, because there usually is no relationship made, and I fear many of the folks this stuff attracts won't respect these places as much as they deserve. Full disclosure I'm 55 years old, and if I were just starting out and in my 20's I might look at it differently. I've met and made many friends over the years out fishing solo, that became fishing buddies. I guess to me that's how it should be done.
I too, would prefer that folks would not post to much information but I also believe it won't change much in terms of crowds if they do.... Have a great day and perhaps we can meet up and fish sometime :)

suckegg

Freedom of speech is guaranteed by the 1st Amendment.
Ethics are voluntary and often subjective.
What one considers sacred may be sacrificial to another.
What one person feels is harmful doesn't mean it's not helpful to another.

Example> Our last President/leader was willing to sacrifice Bristol Bay and the worlds greatest sockeye fishery so one company could cash in.

I would certainly like to go back to when it was word of mouth, relationships were with actually people, in the flesh and shops, and era some of us were fortunate to live in.

chromefinder

Jreising326, the guy your talking about who is pimpimg out Nor Cal wild trout waters is everything that is wrong with the sport today. He knows exactly what he is doing. It's his attempt to get more views and additional sponsors to his youtube channel. He has no ethics or regard for what the additional very location specific attention means for these fisheries or the angler experience. Unfortunately, it's happening everywhere. Maybe he'll move to Bozeman, Jackson or the teton valley soon

Rob Allen

free country/ public resource sucks but there you go.. if you find something great keep it to yourself.. some one else will find it too then it will be gone, enjoy it while you can

jreising326

For Canuck from Kansas, yes he give explicit details of where to go, river name, the hike in and then uses a drone that probably cost $2k to $5k to give complete aerial views. I've never seen Spot Burning done on this level. This is why I've concluded it's a "For Profit Enterprise" for him at this point. We will see if he ends up posting a video about Spot Burning and making an effort to change his ways I'll change my mind. Like I said he was completely new to the sport which is obvious in the first videos and I assumed he was just trying to be helpful. Deleting my and others comments makes be suspicious. Six months in acting like an expert is a red flag.

Either way, if he keeps doing what he's doing I'm pretty sure he's in for a Facefull of Angry Angler soon... :)

Unfortunately nothing you can do. I wouldn’t hold my breath expecting them to stop hot spotting online. I think the days of “etiquette” are long gone. Maybe they never existed outside of a small handful of fishermen. I’ve had enough people crowd me while hunting and fishing. Even trespass on private property I’d been given permission to be on (and they had the nerve to get upset with me for being there). Before YouTube, books and magazines (even forums sometimes) were giving away info on places to fish and details. My dad is the worlds biggest blabber mouth when I comes to telling total strangers the hot fishing spots he knows (which is why I no longer take him to my good spots). All my “secret” fishing spots have been discovered over the years. I’ve just learned to not let it bother me. Gotta enjoy the experience and fishery while you can. Nothing lasts forever.

Chris54

Why is it bad Etiquette? Someone is sharing a good fishing spot with someone else and we call that bad etiquette. I see it the other way around. Sounds like selfishness too me. This might be a generational thing but someone that’s helping other people catch fish and find a good spots is fine by me. Use it to your advantage and find someone else’s good spot on YouTube. You are of course watching the videos.

chromefinder

Unfortunately nothing you can do. I wouldn’t hold my breath expecting them to stop hot spotting online. I think the days of “etiquette” are long gone. Maybe they never existed outside of a small handful of fishermen. I’ve had enough people crowd me while hunting and fishing. Even trespass on private property I’d been given permission to be on (and they had the nerve to get upset with me for being there). Before YouTube, books and magazines (even forums sometimes) were giving away info on places to fish and details. My dad is the worlds biggest blabber mouth when I comes to telling total strangers the hot fishing spots he knows (which is why I no longer take him to my good spots). All my “secret” fishing spots have been discovered over the years. I’ve just learned to not let it bother me. Gotta enjoy the experience and fishery while you can. Nothing lasts forever.
I disagree with your point that there is nothing we can do. Public shaming and ethical anglers applying pressure are some easy tactics. The last best places are all at risk of being loved to death. We should all do everything within our powers to save what’s remaining. Universal access to social media and an the internet marketing model makes it all too easy for every joe blow with a smart phone in their pocket to instantly blow up a place. If we don’t throttle this back we are destined to loose much of our public waters and access for the private pay to fish experience or no access at all.

chromefinder

Why is it bad Etiquette? Someone is sharing a good fishing spot with someone else and we call that bad etiquette. I see it the other way around. Sounds like selfishness too me. This might be a generational thing but someone that’s helping other people catch fish and find a good spots is fine by me. Use it to your advantage and find someone else’s good spot on YouTube. You are of course watching the videos.
It’s bad because places like these that offer quality angling because they are hard to find or off the beaten path will now be overused because some greedy internet marketing angler with a sponsorship wants to sell out and get more hits on his page. Do you want to publish the gps coordinates, parking spots, hike in trails and exact locations of exact productive holes of your best 25 angling spots online? What do think will happen to the fishing and the experience after thousands view the info? The spoon feeding needs to stop.

Last edited:

Chris54

It’s bad because places like these that offer quality angling because they are hard to find or off the beaten path will now be overused because some greedy internet marketing angler with a sponsorship wants to sell out and get more hits on his page. Do you want to publish the gps coordinates, parking spots, hike in trails and exact locations of exact productive holes of your best 25 angling spots online? What do think will happen to the fishing and the experience after thousands view the info? The spoon feeding needs to stop.
That logic doesn’t make sense to me. There’s only a set number of anglers out there. If one spots receiving new pressure “ie your so called spot” that means another spot is receiving less pressure. I would give the location to my fishing spots. I live in Oregon with thousands of places to fish. To think a favorite place of mine is mine and no one can use it is stupid to me. Then hiding behind your logic saying it’s putting bad pressure on the fish to justify the tantrum is crazy. Maybe your spot needs more pressure and the place they all came from needs less.

Mike.Cline

Bozeman, Montana
IMHO it is extremely naive to think that hot spotting or “spot burning” on a You Tube video or other social media post is going to drive angler usage of that spot over and above what is normal.

Why! Because there are no secret places. For Example: The Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks has a FishMT app that maps every fishable stream/lake in MT, lists species present, survey data, access, historic angler pressure and includes photos of the waterbody. Where are the secrets? I can cite dozens of published guides listing all the waters in Montana and Yellowstone in infinite detail. Other states have similar directories both in print and online. Social media might seem to be the only place where people get their info, but that is far from reality.

chromefinder

That logic doesn’t make sense to me. There’s only a set number of anglers out there. If one spots receiving new pressure “ie your so called spot” that means another spot is receiving less pressure. I would give the location to my fishing spots. I live in Oregon with thousands of places to fish. To think a favorite place of mine is mine and no one can use it is stupid to me. Then hiding behind your logic saying it’s putting bad pressure on the fish to justify the tantrum is crazy. Maybe your spot needs more pressure and the place they all came from needs less.
They are not my spots, they are all of our spots, i am not against sharing. But sharing in a public forum like youtube to increase views and ad revenues and not caring about what that does to fragile wild fish fisheries like he has done on his channel is disgusting and wrong. I don't even mind that he shares the name of the stream but spoonfeeding exact location specifics in a public forum has consequences. To think that it won't is naive. Have you seen what the pandemic has done to increase new angler numbers, fishing license sales and the sales of outdoor gear across the country? The numbers are huge.... Coming to a stream near you soon.

chromefinder

IMHO it is extremely naive to think that hot spotting or “spot burning” on a You Tube video or other social media post is going to drive angler usage of that spot over and above what is normal.

Why! Because there are no secret places. For Example: The Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks has a FishMT app that maps every fishable stream/lake in MT, lists species present, survey data, access, historic angler pressure and includes photos of the waterbody. Where are the secrets? I can cite dozens of published guides listing all the waters in Montana and Yellowstone in infinite detail. Other states have similar directories both in print and online. Social media might seem to be the only place where people get their info, but that is far from reality.
and IMO it is extremely naive to think that it doesn't or won't

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info