Youtube Spot Burner

triploidjunkie

Agreed. If you invite someone to join you on a trip to one of your favorite spots, you have the opportunity to instill respect and stewardship to them. I just wish this “gift” was given more often between respectful individuals.
I’ve known some people for years that still won’t reveal spots and won’t share with anyone else either. Mostly younger guys who want “their” lakes just for themselves and their crew. The older guys tend to be more open to sharing, perhaps because they realize that you can’t take your hidey holes with you when you die.
Personally I want the next generation of anglers to be invested in keeping fisheries pristine, caring about conservation, and respecting the entire ecosystem surrounding the riparian habitat. These are values that are best taught from one person to another. Now I’m rambling. :)
I used to be naive, too.

Ian Horning

Powerbait Entomologist
Some fisheries don't really change all that much with increased angler pressure. Some would be destroyed if trafficked heavily. That's an important distinction to make, and why youtube or other spot burning can be super volatile to certain fisheries.
When dealing with fisheries with a finite number of fish, IE steelhead, angler pressure can make a world of difference... not saying you can't hook fish behind people. Ask yourself though, would you share an 18 mile stretch of river with 15 guys or with 150, when there's a few dozen fish in said stretch?
Certain fisheries have a wilderness or remote element to them that makes them unique and special. They'd be just like any other mediocre fishery if word got out. If you don't think there's something special about places you can sleep in, make a good breakfast and coffee and fish while encountering few other anglers and experiencing incredibly fun fishing, you're nuts. All this "just get to the water first" "abide by different river rules that change based on which angler fraternity you fish next to" shit sorta makes you miss the point of fishing sometimes.

SO. Overall, is spot burning gonna stop, or will emails or whatever convince one of these spot burners to stop? No. Hell no. Some people just feel inclined to share for whatever reason. Lots of folks like the social aspect of fishing and don't care so much for a "pristine experience" either, so in their eyes they're just helping others versus causing harm. Just a different take. I'd advise people to think very carefully about which fisheries they openly discuss, and with whom (which the internet makes tough to regulate) because you can ruin certain fisheries by doing so. More pressure never ADDS anything to a fishery except more stubborn fish, more space competition, more impact (arguably) and more... except perhaps advocacy for said stream (people caring about it).

But the fishery itself? Why do you think people pay thousands of dollars to fish in Brazil, or remote Alaska for example? The fisheries are incredible because they're relatively untouched by humans, one way or another. Our fisheries in WA would be world class if we didn't F them up one way or another too.
General takeaway from this long winded possibly incoherent rant- think carefully about what you talk about and with whom you share. No way to stop spot burners except crowd them on their favorite water and catch their fish ;) And, it "doesn't matter" until your favorite water gets burnt.

Rant over :p

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
Some fisheries don't really change all that much with increased angler pressure. Some would be destroyed if trafficked heavily. That's an important distinction to make, and why youtube or other spot burning can be super volatile to certain fisheries.
When dealing with fisheries with a finite number of fish, IE steelhead, angler pressure can make a world of difference... not saying you can't hook fish behind people. Ask yourself though, would you share an 18 mile stretch of river with 15 guys or with 150, when there's a few dozen fish in said stretch?
Certain fisheries have a wilderness or remote element to them that makes them unique and special. They'd be just like any other mediocre fishery if word got out. If you don't think there's something special about places you can sleep in, make a good breakfast and coffee and fish while encountering few other anglers and experiencing incredibly fun fishing, you're nuts. All this "just get to the water first" "abide by different river rules that change based on which angler fraternity you fish next to" shit sorta makes you miss the point of fishing sometimes.

SO. Overall, is spot burning gonna stop, or will emails or whatever convince one of these spot burners to stop? No. Hell no. Some people just feel inclined to share for whatever reason. Lots of folks like the social aspect of fishing and don't care so much for a "pristine experience" either, so in their eyes they're just helping others versus causing harm. Just a different take. I'd advise people to think very carefully about which fisheries they openly discuss, and with whom (which the internet makes tough to regulate) because you can ruin certain fisheries by doing so. More pressure never ADDS anything to a fishery except more stubborn fish, more space competition, more impact (arguably) and more... except perhaps advocacy for said stream (people caring about it).

But the fishery itself? Why do you think people pay thousands of dollars to fish in Brazil, or remote Alaska for example? The fisheries are incredible because they're relatively untouched by humans, one way or another. Our fisheries in WA would be world class if we didn't F them up one way or another too.
General takeaway from this long winded possibly incoherent rant- think carefully about what you talk about and with whom you share. No way to stop spot burners except crowd them on their favorite water and catch their fish ;) And, it "doesn't matter" until your favorite water gets burnt.

Well said.

dustinchromers

Great post. I'd like to add that peer pressure and public hanging isn't out of line with correcting behaviors.

jreising326

Lol, I actually posted but removed the "get out of the car" scene from No Country for Old Men as potential Outsource or Crowdfunded Solution to Spot Burning. I deleted it in case someone thought it was offensive. I went with the Clockwork Orange Reform Post instead.

However as we now move into the "Punishment Phase" I've reconsidered.

For those who won't be offended though, simply search "No Country for Old me get out of the car scene"... enjoy!

I had no idea that thing was called a "Captive Bolt Stunner" until now.

It just seems appropriate to Fight a Youtube Spot Burning For Profit Social Media Influencer with a GoFundme!

Last edited:

Fast Action Freddie

Having a drink in The Buff
YouTubing a trip to a superabundant destination fishery that currently has a lot of pressure and handles it fine is no big deal.

Spoon feeding the unwashed masses a small, cherished, lightly-pressured location is shooting yourself in the foot and potentially dooming the river to a future of overfishing. I have exactly one fishing buddy, and he doesn’t have any other fishing buddies. I’ll take him to any place that I find or have found and happily share a day there. I’ll chat with any of you streamside, swap flies, and bs about good spots on the river.

Much as I enjoy the forum, I’m not gonna generate a Google-searchable posting on any location that I enjoy. I’ve seen a favorite backpacking location morph in a few years from a busy, scenic place with a fun bunch of people soaking in the glory to an Instagram brothel complete with photography crews and ‘talent’. I’m not taking the bait with fishing places new and old that I love. Call me Scrooge McDuck and I’ll live with it.
Did I post this or did you? Or are you me when I was 31? Or great minds think alike?

If you are me when I was 31 ... the next 20 years are going to be rough. Try to stay in shape.

dustinchromers

Lol, I actually posted but removed the "get out of the car" scene from No Country for Old Men as potential Outsource or Crowdfunded Solution to Spot Burning. I deleted it in case someone thought it was offensive. I went with the Clockwork Orange Reform Post instead.

However as we now move into the "Punishment Phase" I've reconsidered.

For those who won't be offended though, simply search "No Country for Old me get out of the car scene"... enjoy!

I had no idea that thing was called a "Captive Bolt Stunner" until now.

It just seems appropriate to Fight a Youtube Spot Burning For Profit Social Media Influencer with a GoFundme!

I carry a captive bolt for thieves and spot burners. It's so hard to get a silencer in this state and the captive bolt is creepier. Most thieves get excited as they think you are going to give them a nitrous hit. They come right in for it. Spot burners are a little more skeptical so I tell them, "don't be afraid, it's just a live streaming nuclear hotspot thing. Come check it out. I love your channel."

jreising326

I think your onto something, thanks for the suggestion. Your correct, deception is going to be key.

Instead of me posting constructive criticism on his Youtube Channel that he simply deletes I need to first praise his work.

"Great Work Man!" "Love those Vid's", "That Drone is Awesome Dude!' "Nobody even noticed that Thumb in the Gills, Nice Shot!"

Then I invite him to go fishing:

"Hey man, my Dad left me with a Bottomless Trust Fund, and your so Cool I'm hiring a Guide to take us on an Outing. He wants to start early so he'll pick you up at O-Dark-30. Please be waiting in your Driveway to ensure an 'On-Time-Departure' (wink-wink)".

I'll then attach that photo to an email and send it to him.

"Here's our Guide for the day, he's really quiet so be sure to lean in for that Nitrous Download Bro. He has some of the killer 'Shiz""...

That plan might actually work! :)

CreekScrambler

Did I post this or did you? Or are you me when I was 31? Or great minds think alike?

If you are me when I was 31 ... the next 20 years are going to be rough. Try to stay in shape.

I’ve been riding my metabolism for all it’s worth, but yeah, I’m very aware of the consequences of getting out of shape for too long. Dad cleaned up his act and still didn’t quite make it past his mid-50s; ended up punching the big ticket way too young.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts