Trip Report Once upon a time in Campeche

check out the video

This video was created in collaboration with Mangrove Kings Lodge and BigFish in Campeche, Mexico. The mangroves in this location are one of three such locations in the world, making it a unique opportunity to catch baby and juvenile tarpon, snook and other species that thrive in the area. Campeche is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1999, making it a great destination to visit not just for fishing but also to see a different side of Mexico besides huge beach resorts. Victor Rodriguez, the owner of Mangrove Kings Lodge, was a real pleasure to fish with during the 3 days we spent out on the water. He took us to the best fishing holes where we were able to land some really amazing tarpon and snook.

We want to say a special thanks to Victor Rodriguez "El Puma" of Mangrove Kings Lodge and the production team that made this video happen.

Tight lines!

JuanC

That fish you are holding. Did you use a fly and a fly rod.
For sure! I caught that one with a fly rod, you could see the rod and reel in this photo!

Attachments

• 89A14FFD-7F4A-454B-B865-042BA3D49186.jpeg
    89A14FFD-7F4A-454B-B865-042BA3D49186.jpeg
    628.8 KB · Views: 21

Richard E

check out the video

This video was created in collaboration with Mangrove Kings Lodge and BigFish in Campeche, Mexico. The mangroves in this location are one of three such locations in the world, making it a unique opportunity to catch baby and juvenile tarpon, snook and other species that thrive in the area. Campeche is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1999, making it a great destination to visit not just for fishing but also to see a different side of Mexico besides huge beach resorts. Victor Rodriguez, the owner of Mangrove Kings Lodge, was a real pleasure to fish with during the 3 days we spent out on the water. He took us to the best fishing holes where we were able to land some really amazing tarpon and snook.

We want to say a special thanks to Victor Rodriguez "El Puma" of Mangrove Kings Lodge and the production team that made this video happen.

Tight lines!

Thanks for the video! I fished San Felipe a few years ago, and jumped a tarpon the size of what you are holding; he spit on the jump. Caught several smaller. Just a note, but the actual fishing/catching of these baby tarpon is more challenging than what videos show. Fishermen aren't going to share videos of few fish or skunk days, right? <wink>

JuanC

Thanks for the video! I fished San Felipe a few years ago, and jumped a tarpon the size of what you are holding; he spit on the jump. Caught several smaller. Just a note, but the actual fishing/catching of these baby tarpon is more challenging than what videos show. Fishermen aren't going to share videos of few fish or skunk days, right? <wink>

That’s true Richard, the videos just show the best part of the experience but almost never the hard bits. I agree with you!!! I guess my video is the same, I lost several fish and had some really frustrating moments but it was worth it!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts