Sitka DIY advice

NRC

WFF Supporter
I doubt this thread is entertaining for anyone besides me, but the work continues.

Anyone have experience checking a float tube on a flight to AK? Would sure be nice to get off the shoreline if I’m fishing some roadside lakes.

image.jpg

Robert Engleheart

Robert
WFF Supporter
I doubt this thread is entertaining for anyone besides me, but the work continues.

Anyone have experience checking a float tube on a flight to AK? Would sure be nice to get off the shoreline if I’m fishing some roadside lakes
Mail or UPS to your sister or I used a plastic foot locker style container that is exactly maximum size to go on plane without oversized charges (62” L+W+H). I found mine at WalMart.

Reactions: NRC

Driftless Dan

Driftless Dan
WFF Supporter
Ha ha! "Crafted In Tacoma," like that would be a selling point.

Let us know how your trip goes. I bet you have a blast.

Gorgefly

Anyone have experience checking a float tube on a flight to AK? Would sure be nice to get off the shoreline if I’m fishing some roadside lakes.

View attachment 275782
I think I did years ago before I bought a Watermaster. That’s what I take now. Won’t be taking it next month though. They don’t work well on ice.. Just wading the Kenai. The U boat shape are extremely hard to get on as a carry on as I recall. Not due to weight but the foam seats don’t allow them to fold very easily. If you have one with the inflatable seat it’s probably fine. There’s a little fly shop/ guide shop over behind the Bayview (if it’s still in biz). Think I saw it in Nov when I was there last. They might loan you a tube. I know those guys walk up into the lakes up past the dam with clients I think. You could also rent kayaks if you are into fishing from those.

NRC

WFF Supporter
Decided to rent myself a bike for the week that I’m there. Cheap and effective given the limited highway available.

Given what I know about SRC, there are several places that seem like no brainers for dollies in addition to those mentioned above. But checking google maps against some bathymetric charts, there also appear to be some enticing areas with immediate drop off into deeper water and hopefully a bit of backcast room. Will have to check these for rockfish.

Gorgefly

Not sure if that’s the place. This is a hole in the wall fly/ guide shop but that place looks like they’ve got it all. I’ve rented bikes too there And ridden all of the highway. Not too hard to do. At least the brewery is back now! Baranof Island went under but there’s a new one finally

NRC

WFF Supporter
Not sure if that’s the place. This is a hole in the wall fly/ guide shop but that place looks like they’ve got it all. I’ve rented bikes too there And ridden all of the highway. Not too hard to do. At least the brewery is back now! Baranof Island went under but there’s a new one finally
I'm pretty sure a coworker of mine who grew up in AK is friends with the folks who started up the new brewery there, he mentioned something about it when we were talking about Sitka. Think I'll have to take one for the team and pay it a visit.

Sportsman

View attachment 283754
fishing bag is packed, leaving tomorrow. If this thing gets lost in transit I’ll be set back for years!

pics to follow as fishing develops.
Mosquito netting head cover in that bag? With any luck you'll find water to yourself early AM. And you will be a big steak to those big hungry momma's. Don't ask how I know, but still not as bad as 747 sized deer flies!

NRC

WFF Supporter
Mosquito netting head cover in that bag? With any luck you'll find water to yourself early AM. And you will be a big steak to those big hungry momma's. Don't ask how I know, but still not as bad as 747 sized deer flies!
Putting that on my shopping list upon arrival, good looking out!

NRC

WFF Supporter
F68DFC48-5955-44AA-9D09-3D4CFBDA464B.jpeg C1B1060F-1AAD-4F5C-8D71-2DC65CD89909.jpeg

@g_smolt was not lying about the fryolater pattern. Found some moving water and game on!

The fish above was the highlight of the day, although by no means the only fish. Working this one in and I turned around to see the biggest bald eagle I’ve ever seen on final approach and coming in hot. What a wingspan! Luckily I was able to give the line some slack and give the fish a chance to dodge without having it come unbuttoned.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts