Chironomid confusion

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
Here's how I'd picture things going down if I were fishing with Ira....

Ira, "Randy, what are you doing over there!?"

Randy, "fishing streamers!"

Ira: checks off streamers on his 'what not to do' list....oh wait, looks like there's already a check mark there. :D

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
Here's how I'd picture things going down if I were fishing with Ira....

Ira, "Randy, what are you doing over there!?"

Randy, "fishing streamers!"

Ira: checks off streamers on his 'what not to do' list....oh wait, looks like there's already a check mark there. :D

I fish streamers, and they work. Even under indicators :)

LJ

Low Tech Lo
Thanks for all the great tips. Will be making another attempt in a week! Expecting to do much better.

Buzzy

Thanks for all the great tips. Will be making another attempt in a week! Expecting to do much better.
This past Thursday I fished a Basin lake, when I got on the water the shoal near the launch had a pretty good midge hatch going and what appeared to be a variety of sizes (and likely colors). I rigged a Chromie and little olive midge as the lead fly, set my indicator and had a fish on right away. And then no more. I moved around the shoal, fished the drop off, adjusted depth, changed midges and nothing. Went deep with the full sinker and a streamer. Never figured it out - so many midges, so few takes. Frustrating? No, a challenge. Sometimes it comes together, sometimes it doesn't.

Have fun next week, change things up if one thing doesn't work.

Big Rob

If they're taking them that high in the water column, and in 12' or so of water, theyre probably fishing chromies.

Matt B

WFF Supporter
I fish two rigs also. Watch the indicator while counting down and retrieving. Find that if the indicator is working the other rod goes away pretty fast.
I’m still working on this. I’m not at all good at it yet. What do you do with the active rod when the indicator twitches or buries? Seems I just miss a fish that I might’ve hooked otherwise, and then can’t convert.

Maybe I just need to fish waters with greater numbers of actively feeding fish.

Big Rob

if youre fishing a swivel, they sometimes hit that, too...
set the hook on everything.
if you get tired of resetting your bobber(hemostat method), mark your water depth on your leader just once w a nail-knot of sliding mono or braid (aka bobber stop), and adjust your bobber location below that as you change fly depths.

Buzzy

I’m still working on this. I’m not at all good at it yet. What do you do with the active rod when the indicator twitches or buries? Seems I just miss a fish that I might’ve hooked otherwise, and then can’t convert.

Maybe I just need to fish waters with greater numbers of actively feeding fish.
I often fish "2 poles" - most of the time an indicator rig and some form of cast-count-strip line on the second "pole" . If I miss a fish or two on the indicator line while stripping in the other and those misses are pretty close timewise, then I tend to stop the 2-pole routine. It is kind of fun to set on a fish while stripping in your fly and see your indicator go down hard and a trout jump.....

Matt B

WFF Supporter
if youre fishing a swivel, they sometimes hit that, too...
set the hook on everything.
if you get tired of resetting your bobber(hemostat method), mark your water depth on your leader just once w a nail-knot of sliding mono or braid (aka bobber stop), and adjust your bobber location below that as you change fly depths.
Sorry, I didn’t explain well. I’m okay at indicator fishing when I have the single “pole” in my hand. But when I exercise my two pole endorsement, I’m not sure if I’m helping or hurting the cause. I want the glory and hilarity of solo doubles though, if I can manage it. Or at least to more efficiently figure out the bite.

I got rid of swivels under the indicator a while back. Too many indications, with nothing there, which I interpreted as swivel takes.

Buzzy

Sorry, I didn’t explain well. I’m okay at indicator fishing when I have the single “pole” in my hand. But when I exercise my two pole endorsement, I’m not sure if I’m helping or hurting the cause. I want the glory and hilarity of solo doubles though, if I can manage it. Or at least to more efficiently figure out the bite.

I got rid of swivels under the indicator a while back. Too many indications, with nothing there, which I interpreted as swivel takes.
Matt - Herb, Keith and I were all anchored up on this little BC lake - each of us fishing two indicator rods. Several times that day each of us had solo doubles. One of the group got a little Tourettes like - I just laughed. Herb actually was able to score both catches a couple times. I managed to get a fish in the anchor line a few times. When the indicator bite is really good and I'm on a lake where there are large trout, I fish one rod.

Dr. Magill

I catch lots of fish under indicators, I have an entire arsenal of flies, retrieves, casts, earned knowledge, spider senses and most of all an entire lack of pride. I have zero issues with asking others for what they are doing, even if it isn’t working for them. I’m constantly eliminating variable.

This tends to be my pattern for changing things up:
1. Location within where I am anchored. Meaning I cast around my boat and use the wind to creat an arc pattern around me.
2. Retrieve patterns from the do nothing to the quick strip.
3. Pattern on my bottom fly.
4. Depth, this includes moving my indicator, but also with a dual rod endorsement, I’ll be playing the waters around me using a count down method with a type 5.
5. Pull up anchor!
Dual rods!! You could lose one over the side if you’re not careful

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts