Gear Float tube setup help

Questions about flyfishing gear, camping gear, whatever.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
My doughnut float tube died last spring. I just got a Fish Cat 4 and took it for a quick test run. It's a lot different and been a while since I've done much of it so I have a few questions.
1) I used my canoe PFD, a foam 3 strap type. It has no material low for a seat back but is really not ideal for bulk and mobility. I use a waistbelt in the big boat but that won't work well I don't think. So, I've seen an inflatable one from outcast (MTI?) that looks like it has straps that go between the legs? And one like an onyx that goes around the waist. I'm probably missing like the mustangs. What would be good in the tube? I think I can wear an additional little chest pack under it?
2) I used my little d cell pump to blow up my old one but that doesn't work well. Since I'll be packing in some times I think the K Pump mini looks good. Is that the way to go?
3) I never used and anchor but I'll want one. Does the little 2lb outcast anchor cut it for eastern wasington? Is there a better choice?
4) The end few feet of my old rocket taper does not float well. Makes it tough to set the hook with an indicator when the lines underwater. Most of my rods are medium or MF, not fast. Is the SA Anandro a good choice, maybe cortland FO, I like cortland. Recomendations? I got sink tips and full sinks.
5) My old outcast/caddis flat fins aren't great but worked OK for now. But that will be a later upgrade.
What I'm I missing? Checklist?

Last edited:

bakerite

I use an old jansport pack we bought at a used store. Fat cat clips on with a strap from a bag I found somewhere around the house right before a trip. Much more comfy than the straps on the back. Stripping basket run through the bottom of the pack stabilizes everything. Don’t hike more that a couple of miles with this rig. Have a wilderness lite for the overnighters. Come to think of it this was a 3 mile hike. BC531F68-59AB-455B-8C29-A6F14B7BF696.jpeg
have also worn like this on a mountain bike a few times. I have used a small sash weight as anchor when not hiking, but generally if too windy to hold in place with legs will fish another day. 242642B8-0DEE-4232-84E0-66F3932FE8AE.jpeg I use goodwill fins, cut the middle and install grommets. Use self inflating vest from Amazon and foam poppers for the bass.

MGTom

WFF Supporter
If I still got anybody's attention I got a question about what rods you guys are using.
I'm going to be looking for an all-around lake rod. It's been a bit windy so I haven't taken the tube out yet, so I've been fishing from shore. Blob's, indicators and weighted leaches. I figured out my old sage takes too much work, and the classic trout too light, I'm comparing that to my redington rs4 9' 6wt, which throws a line the distance with much less work, especially a sink tip or full sink. The glommis imx-pro 9' 8wt throws things a mile with little work it seems like.
I'm not adverse to spending $900 for an NRX+, or IMX for less, as I like it. Or any other brand. It will probably be with me forever.
I'm kind torn, as I'm thinking now might be a good time to add 5wt's to my arsenal and a 10 footer seems reasonable. Even from shore there is stuff behind me. Or stick with 9', 9.5'?. And I'd like something that loads a shorter line and shoots further. Eastern wa lakes, wind.
It's kind of hard to sort through the web, especially when you hear folks pimp something, then in another video they have something else in their hand.

Last edited:

Ron McNeal

FREE BUCKHEAD!! NOW.
Think about a 10/15 liter dry bag for stowing coat, etc. behind your seat. I end up using one an awful lot. Re rods: most would say (I think) the longer the better. Based on some nice reports here about Echo's new Stillwater rods, I've got a new 10½' 6 wt just itching to get out.... You're really gonna like the FatCat. Have fun!!

Last edited:

Buzzy

Tom - I fished from my float tube today with two 590's. An old Sage 590-2 FLi (I line) and a brand new Echo Base 590-4. The Echo casts a WF5F with indicator very nicely. Honestly, I don't need a 10 foot rod for my tube. Unless ------>

@MGTom - Unless I'm using a really long leader - when indicator fishing depths to 30 feet or so, a longer rod is helpful.

Last edited:

Eastside

I have a 5 ft 9 inch Sage VXP and a Hardy Lightweight reel that I have used for years. For lake fishing, I recently purchased an Echo Carbon XL 6 weight with a Lampson Liquid 3 pack that allows me to rig multiple lines. Cast the Echo last week on a Columbia Basin lake and really like the rod. If I add rods to my quiver for lake fishing, definitely will go the same route.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
If I still got anybody's attention I got a question about what rods you guys are using.
I prefer longer rods - a TFO Axiom or Echo Ion 6 wt and a Beulah Platinum 7 wt. Occasionally I'll also carry along a short 2wt to 4wt if Crappie are a possibility (Epic or Blue Halo glass or a Fenwick graphite 2 wt.).

bakerite

I have a Fenwick Aetos 10 ft 5 wt. Casts very nicely, lives up to the rod shootout reviews and is easy on the wallet. Bought an 8wt. for my bass fishin when they were on sale at Sierra.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
I have a 10' 3wt (more of a 5wt, actually) that I'll use for the length, and everything that the extra length provides, but my personal favorite is my 8' Steffen Bros. Not quite the distance stick, but fighting fish in close and landing larger fish, it's definitely easier (and far more fun)....there's always a trade-off. But I also only fish stillwater trout a couple of times/year

Last edited:

MGTom

WFF Supporter
Thx for the comments. I decided to have the gorge shop send me a Echo Stillwater 10' 6wt and another remix 3pk. Since I have several different purpose 6wt lines already, and I like them I'll stick with it. They are sending a free sa infinity smooth with a rod purchase though.

MGTom

WFF Supporter
I use an old jansport pack we bought at a used store. Fat cat clips on with a strap from a bag I found somewhere around the house right before a trip. Much more comfy than the straps on the back. Stripping basket run through the bottom of the pack stabilizes everything. Don’t hike more that a couple of miles with this rig. Have a wilderness lite for the overnighters. Come to think of it this was a 3 mile hike. View attachment 276726
have also worn like this on a mountain bike a few times. I have used a small sash weight as anchor when not hiking, but generally if too windy to hold in place with legs will fish another day. I use goodwill fins, cut the middle and install grommets. Use self inflating vest from Amazon and foam poppers for the bass.
Thx for the pick, good times it looks like. I was on that track and will look at it some more.

MGTom

WFF Supporter
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I had a chance to get out for actual fishing today as they have topped off the lake, and it really worked well. It was a nice morning for a first run at the local impoundment:
20210505_053411.jpg
Making sure I got everything, but went with one rod and a minimum of stuff for the test.
20210505_085041.jpg
And hooked up right off the launch
20210505_055734 (2).jpg
Plants were coming as I was headed in. No sign of the bass or crappie this morning.
20210505_101452 (2).jpg

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
WFF Supporter
A 6’ cam strap can be a handy item to have if you are hiking into lakes.
On my old SFC, I run it through the two straps on the back of the seat and the loop on the bow.
I can then use it to strap my fins, net, soft cooler bag or whatever else I want to use on the tube that day.

I agree with Pat on not carrying a pump in.
A cigarette lighter air pump and a foot pump to top it off are all I’ve used in the past 30 years.
Only takes a few minutes and you are ready.

Two to three pounds should hold you unless it is really windy.
I used a carabiner on the end of a short piece of anchor rope that has a float on it to connect to the bow loop.
This gives me a centered anchor position plus easy anchor retrieval and anchor rope length adjustment.
SF

View attachment 275642
Brian, do you put the anchor line through the carabiner after unclipping the carabiner from the d ring?

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Brian, do you put the anchor line through the carabiner after unclipping the carabiner from the d ring?

Fred,
Correct. I just made a overhand knot loop in my anchor rope and clipped the carabiner onto the loop.
The loop allows me to adjust how much anchor line I have out based on the depth of water I’m fishing. No need to put out 30’ of rope while fishing in 12’ of water.
When I relocate I just unknot the loop in the anchor rope.
SF

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts