A rambling unimportant Patagonia PFD question

Josh

dead in the water
WFF Moderator
A number of years ago, I bought two fishing PFDs from Patagonia. Apparently, not too long after that, there was a recall on some number of those PFDs because the foam didn't have (or lost?) the proper amount of bouyancy. Shortly after that, Patagonia shut down the company that made the PFDs and stopped selling any in their line. Fast forward to last summer when I bought my kayak. I hunted everywhere for the PFDs and couldn't find them. During the course of hunting, I googled them and learned about the recall. I didn't remember doing so, but I figured I must have sent them back at some point. So I bought an NRS fishing PFD. It's solid, but not as nice as the patagonia.

The the other week I found the damn Patagonia ones. They were packed up on a storage bin that was labeled incorrectly. On one of them the foam got a little squished in storage and doesn't seem to have fluffed back up again. But the other one seems fine. I talked to the Patagonia support team, said I wasn't sure what to do since I knew some of these were recalled, and they told me I could send them back and they'd take a look. Said likely I'll get Patagonia credit of what I paid which I'm pretty sure was something like a cheap $60-80 each (got them on sale). The guy sent me a UPS label and everything. But after I talked to them, I tracked down the original recall notice website via webarchive, and it seems that my two vests weren't actually part of the serial numbers in the recall as best I can tell.

So what the hell do I do with them? Keep? Send them back? Send the one with the squished foam back? Do life vests expire? I mean, I guess it's not expired if it floats me? Though I'm not testing that until the water gets warm this summer.

cdnred

I'm thinking that since they've discontinued them, they'll more then likely just give you a Patagonia store credit irregardless since it's been a while since the recall. Unless you have a specific need or desire to keep them, I'd just return them since you've already bought replacements for them otherwise they'll just be taking up space on the shelf not being used..

JayB

As long as it's got adequate floatation when you test it it's fine for anything but swift/white water IMO.

Zak

WFF Supporter
WFF Supporter
Send them back. If you don't remember what you paid for them, don't guess. Just tell them you'll take whatever store credit they think is fair. I'll bet you'll get a credit for the full price.

Edit: unless you really like the nonsquished one. If you love it and it isn't made anymore, I'd keep it.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
The guy sent me a UPS label and everything. But after I talked to them, I tracked down the original recall notice website via webarchive, and it seems that my two vests weren't actually part of the serial numbers in the recall as best I can tell.
So what the hell do I do with them? Keep? Send them back? Send the one with the squished foam back?

Send them back. If you don't remember what you paid for them, don't guess. Just tell them you'll take whatever store credit they think is fair. I'll bet you'll get a credit for the full price.

Edit: unless you really like the nonsquished one. If you love it and it isn't made anymore, I'd keep it.
^^^^
What @Zak said

dustinchromers

A number of years ago, I bought two fishing PFDs from Patagonia. Apparently, not too long after that, there was a recall on some number of those PFDs because the foam didn't have (or lost?) the proper amount of bouyancy. Shortly after that, Patagonia shut down the company that made the PFDs and stopped selling any in their line. Fast forward to last summer when I bought my kayak. I hunted everywhere for the PFDs and couldn't find them. During the course of hunting, I googled them and learned about the recall. I didn't remember doing so, but I figured I must have sent them back at some point. So I bought an NRS fishing PFD. It's solid, but not as nice as the patagonia.

The the other week I found the damn Patagonia ones. They were packed up on a storage bin that was labeled incorrectly. On one of them the foam got a little squished in storage and doesn't seem to have fluffed back up again. But the other one seems fine. I talked to the Patagonia support team, said I wasn't sure what to do since I knew some of these were recalled, and they told me I could send them back and they'd take a look. Said likely I'll get Patagonia credit of what I paid which I'm pretty sure was something like a cheap $60-80 each (got them on sale). The guy sent me a UPS label and everything. But after I talked to them, I tracked down the original recall notice website via webarchive, and it seems that my two vests weren't actually part of the serial numbers in the recall as best I can tell.

So what the hell do I do with them? Keep? Send them back? Send the one with the squished foam back? Do life vests expire? I mean, I guess it's not expired if it floats me? Though I'm not testing that until the water gets warm this summer.

Pfd's expire. Patagonia I believe uses an eco friendly foam in most their products, Gia or something. I'm either case you will have lost floatation with the crushed vest as they work on displacement and trapped air. UV and compression destroy vests. Will be be the difference between life and death? Likely not but it is compromised. As a kayaker I retire a vest after five to seven years.

Old Man

A very Old Man
Put it in a pillow case and run it through the clothes drier. If it's foam it should fluff up again.

hookedonthefly

I rowed like hell in whitewater as my Patagonia PFD was expired; but, I loved the perfect fit. NRS has good PFD’s depending on what you bought. I have 14 and they have lasted well. Ed

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts