NFR- Tri-Cities wildlife

thesankers

Twenty two years ago I moved here from a town of less than 2000 in northern MN. Quite a culture shock. There was Lake Superior, moose, bears, wolves and snowshoe hares. The Tri-cities is a big city in the middle of a desert. The longer I am here though the more I am amazed at the quantity and variety of wildlife within 10 miles of home. This morning on a walk in Richland city parks, I saw eagles, pheasants. Quail and countless waterfowl. Late this afternoon my wife and I went for short drive to McNary refuge near Wallula and saw 10s of thousands of snow geese, a bunch of coots and mallards,an osprey, pheants, a couple of hundred tundra swans, pelicans, Canadian geese. We finished up this short trip 10 miles the other direction from home with many deer, assorted birds of prey and sandhill cranes. The place is actually pretty awesome.
View attachment IMG_0222.mov
View attachment IMG_0222.mov

Attachments

• IMG_0221.mov
    14.1 MB · Views: 6

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
We got a lot of Snows back home. They still sound like a bunch of happy kids on a playground. Thanks for sharing!

I still remember seeing the "lost Flamingo" at Bateman/the Yak Delta a number of years ago . . .

cmann886

Twenty two years ago I moved here from a town of less than 2000 in northern MN. Quite a culture shock. There was Lake Superior, moose, bears, wolves and snowshoe hares. The Tri-cities is a big city in the middle of a desert. The longer I am here though the more I am amazed at the quantity and variety of wildlife within 10 miles of home. This morning on a walk in Richland city parks, I saw eagles, pheasants. Quail and countless waterfowl. Late this afternoon my wife and I went for short drive to McNary refuge near Wallula and saw 10s of thousands of snow geese, a bunch of coots and mallards,an osprey, pheants, a couple of hundred tundra swans, pelicans, Canadian geese. We finished up this short trip 10 miles the other direction from home with many deer, assorted birds of prey and sandhill cranes. The place is actually pretty awesome.
View attachment 275711
View attachment 275711
We have a security photo of a bull elk browsing on the trees near the front door at the Framatome facility on Horn Rapids Road. One has to look a little harder, but the desert has a lot of beauty...I am particularly partial to the phlox that will be blooming shortly.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
It's funny to think back upon, but as a life-long wetsider, in my misbegotten, naive, myopic, and provincial youth I thought the entirety of the sun-baked brown eastern side of the state could fall into a giant pit, and no one would miss it in 50 years. I later discovered that there were salmon and steelhead streams on the east side, so I may have been just a bit narrow minded in my earlier assessment.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts