New fly line recommendation

Bgil

bgil
I have a 6 wt Sage SP 690 and am looking for recommendations to change the fly line on this rod.
I will be used primarily for streamers and heavy nymph fishing.

Love to hear what people think of the rod and what line would work well for this application.

Hendodesign

I think you may need two lines, or just get a good all around floating line + some sink tips.

If it was me I would get an intermediate line for streamers and run something like a Orvis Hydros nymph line with the super blunt front taper to help turn over heavy nymphs. That line would be primarily for indicator fishing since it would be a floating line.

I personally have found better luck catching fish streamer fishing with an intermediate line vs. a floating with a sink tip. I know it probably happens but in my personal experience the intermediate line can be used successfully in both rivers and still water if you choose to fish lakes.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
If it were me, for river fishing with streamers, I'd get a streamer specific line such as Airflo Streamer Max or the Streamer Max Short (My personally preference), These will keep you in the streamer game. Save the sink tips for swingin'.

For heavy nymphing, I haven't found anything better than SA Anadro.

cmann886

I think you may need two lines, or just get a good all around floating line + some sink tips.

If it was me I would get an intermediate line for streamers and run something like a Orvis Hydros nymph line with the super blunt front taper to help turn over heavy nymphs. That line would be primarily for indicator fishing since it would be a floating line.

I personally have found better luck catching fish streamer fishing with an intermediate line vs. a floating with a sink tip. I know it probably happens but in my personal experience the intermediate line can be used successfully in both rivers and still water if you choose to fish lakes.
I like the Orvis Hydros...the bank shot has delivered well for me when fishing streamers.

O' Clarkii Stomias

For nymphing, I'm a big fan of the SA amplitude anadro/nymph line. Very easy to mend and does a serviceable job turning over bigger rigs. It is expensive, but performs that well. Could use with streamers too, but wouldn't be my first choice.
I've got a 7 weight anadro I throw on my 4114 burkie, and it does mixed duty, indicator and streamer, pretty well, overhead and spey. For streamers, I use OPST 10-foot 80 grain tips looped on the tip of the anadro. A little clunky, and you won't cast it 100 feet, but addresses my trout needs in mid-sized rivers, especially this time of year.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
I have only a little experience streamer fishing for resident trout. What I think is my strategy is that Mr. Big Trout likes to ambush a small fish - my streamer. So I want it to sink fast, if not sooner, and then strip it, expecting any strike that comes to be within the first few strips. Never made it past 4 strips so far, except casts that don't get bit. So a good streamer line for me has been however many grains of T-xx material your streamer rod can handle affixed to my running line. 15 feet of T-11 or T-14 has worked for me.

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
I've got a 7 weight anadro I throw on my 4114 burkie, and it does mixed duty, indicator and streamer, pretty well, overhead and spey. For streamers, I use OPST 10-foot 80 grain tips looped on the tip of the anadro. A little clunky, and you won't cast it 100 feet, but addresses my trout needs in mid-sized rivers, especially this time of year.
Interesting about the tips, good to know. Have only tried poly leaders on the anadro, did fine.

Kirk Singleton

Capt Kirk
I am fishing the Airflo Kelly Galloup "Shovelhead" for my streamer line which is a intermediate sinking line but designed for rivers. My floating line for streamers is the Ke
lly Galloup Airflo Streamer Flote. both are fantastic for big flies!!

camtheflyman

not sponsored
WFF Supporter
On my 6 weight I use two lines, SA infinity for big dries with droppers and nymph rigs. I prefer this to a dedicated nymphing line just because I will occasionally throw smaller rigs if there is a hatch going off. From the sounds of it, the Anadro taper will better suit your needs. My second line is the streamer max short in the 5 weight (160 grains). I have cast 200 grain lines on my 6 weight with a medium streamer and found it too much so I like a little lighter line as I feel I have more control.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
If it were me, for river fishing with streamers, I'd get a streamer specific line such as Airflo Streamer Max,
I like the Orvis Hydros...the bank shot has delivered well for me when fishing streamers.
I have my 8wt set up with these. Guess I should give it more work, it's so easy to fish big flies. The orvis I have both a sink tip and a floater.
I have cast 200 grain lines on my 6 weight with a medium streamer and found it too much so I like a little lighter line as I feel I have more control.
I don't know about Bill's SP, but my older GLF likes a line closer to correct weight. I fish cortland lines but they are all older.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts