La Paz Baja Mexico

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
That will be plenty of flies. When I was down there, I lost maybe one fly and had a few others chewed up. I imagine others will have different ideas.

SERE Nate

Lol. We are planning on taking 120 flies. 60 each, 10 per day. Heard that the needle fish tear them up, and so does the beach. One article I read said that he went through a fly every 15 min.

BN2FSH

Lol. We are planning on taking 120 flies. 60 each, 10 per day. Heard that the needle fish tear them up, and so does the beach. One article I read said that he went through a fly every 15 min.
If you see needle fish following your fly, stop the retrieve and they turn away. You do not want to be messing with needle fish or tying on a new fly when the roosters show up. I typically use less than 20 flies in a week. Make sure you have some small (size 2 hooks and 2 inches long) chart / white clousers. The small roosters, jacks and everything else love them. You can also catch big fish if they show up if you use a good quality hook like a Gama SC15.

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter

I fished from a boat most of the time and when I wasn’t, I was out far enough in the water wading that the beach didn’t eat my flies. So I hadn’t thought of that issue. As for the needles, I didn’t have much issues with them ruining my patterns, even the giant needle fish.

Jockurr

WFF Supporter
^^^ What BN2FSH & Ira said about the needlefish and amount of flies.
You’ll catch 80% of your fish on 3-5 patterns of which you might use 20 total.
Juan will survey your flies look at you with an eyebrow raised, say Que es...? Then he’ll pick out what you need

SERE Nate

^^^ What BN2FSH & Ira said about the needlefish and amount of flies.
You’ll catch 80% of your fish on 3-5 patterns of which you might use 20 total.
Juan will survey your flies look at you with an eyebrow raised, say Que es...? Then he’ll pick out what you
Juan and I chat just about every day on FB. He's been awesome. His wife is even going to cook us a meal one night at our rental house. That's another reason why I want to bring a bunch of flies, because less than half will probably be any good anyways.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Juan and I chat just about every day on FB. He's been awesome. His wife is even going to cook us a meal one night at our rental house. That's another reason why I want to bring a bunch of flies, because less than half will probably be any good anyways.

Make sure you leave a gift for him and his wife.
He will appreciate extra hooks, flies, extra leader material etc that they can utilize.
A nice fishing shirt would be a excellent gift for him as well.
SF

SERE Nate

Make sure you leave a gift for him and his wife.
He will appreciate extra hooks, flies, extra leader material etc that they can utilize.
A nice fishing shirt would be a excellent gift for him as well.
SF
We're bringing all of our leftover tying material and hooks for him. We are paying his wife for her time.

Reactions: NRC

gt

lots of toothy fish in the surf down there. learn to make short, 6", stainless bite leaders. this is where my 11wt excelled with a fore grip to ease the battles. lots of fun.

Last edited:

Jockurr

WFF Supporter
Also, my wife's bucket list fish is a trigger fish. Any tips on how to target them and what flies?
Heavily weighted crab fly on the ridge that runs from the lighthouse toward Cerralvo.
Spent about 2 hours there one dead flat calm morning "nymphing" for Pargo, etc. We caught at least 10 different species. All went back down. Pretty cool morning.

SERE Nate

Heavily weighted crab fly on the ridge that runs from the lighthouse toward Cerralvo.
Spent about 2 hours there one dead flat calm morning "nymphing" for Pargo, etc. We caught at least 10 different species. All went back down. Pretty cool morning.
Thanks. Bought some crabs from the fly shop.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts