How often do you tie?

Camo Clad Warrior

First the question...

How often do you tie, and for what length of time?

Something I have struggled with for years is tying consistently. I find myself tying every day for a week or two, than not having the motivation to tie for weeks if not months. I notice whenever I come back to the vice my skills are not quite as sharp as they were before and it takes me a few flies to get back up to speed.

For me, I don't really need another fishing fly. When i was younger i needed to refill the boxes after pulling flies off in the bushes. I also buy flies I visit that are the "hot pattern" of the month to support the local store.

So how often do you guys tie? And how long are your tying sessions?

CCW

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
I tie flies when I feel like it or I need to. It's a hobby, not a job. I wouldn't worry about consistency.

For me, learning new things tends to go hand in hand with tying flies and often the flies that I need cannot be bought in stores. For example, you could get into SRCs, bass, salmon runs, still water, euro nymphing, throwing meat and so on. If I ever find myself not needing or wanting to tie flies, it's probably because I'm not learning anything new.

NRC

WFF Supporter
First the question...

How often do you tie, and for what length of time?

Something I have struggled with for years is tying consistently. I find myself tying every day for a week or two, than not having the motivation to tie for weeks if not months. I notice whenever I come back to the vice my skills are not quite as sharp as they were before and it takes me a few flies to get back up to speed.

For me, I don't really need another fishing fly. When i was younger i needed to refill the boxes after pulling flies off in the bushes. I also buy flies I visit that are the "hot pattern" of the month to support the local store.

So how often do you guys tie? And how long are your tying sessions?

CCW
I am a fits and starts kinda guy like you. And the quality of my ties reflects that. I too tend to get excited about a new flavor of fly pattern and throw together a bunch. Or I’ll get jacked about an upcoming trip and crank out a bunch specific to the destination. I struggle to reliably build up a backlog of the patterns I know work and always end up actually fishing.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I tie in streaks.
Currently on about a month long one without tying a fly.
Really don’t need any flies and I highly doubt I’ll go through probably the 1,000+ clousers have before I croak.
Still bought new materials this week.
I’ve tied all day as well in the past.
I tied a few orders for folks in the past. I learned I won’t be doing that very much in the future.
SF

Last edited:

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
I tie in streaks, or to top off boxes.
The boxes are full, so now just work on a Spey fly or a married wing pattern, just leave it in the vise and do a stage now and again...
I have more flies than I'll ever use currently, so what's a couple more ?
:)

Camo Clad Warrior

That is a great point.

I do only tie what I want. When I started tying, like a bunch of people, I started on the Wooley bugger. I tied thousands of those darn things in every color known to man along with every size. None of them where any good, but it did lead me to realize I will never tie another bugger in my life. If I need them I buy them from a local shop or hire my younger nephew to tie me a dozen.

I have also found new materials fire me up to tie as well. Wonder around the fly shop for a while and boom...a dozen flies lol

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
I tie when I am low on classics or I get inspired. Maybe a I see a new pattern or will be hitting a new fishery.

One thing I am never inspired to tie is dries and nymphs. Not sure why. I love dry fly fishing. Too frustratingly small, I lose way to many of them and I am just not very good at it.

I wonder if I’ll ever pick it up. For now I remain very jealous of people that do it well, while at the same time being very content giving them my money to do so for me.....

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
Often I'll tie a couple times a week. I shoot for about 4-6 flies per sitting, so my neck and back doesn't hurt. Like you mine look better to when I tie regularly, but I don't think the fish care. I load boxes in winter with staples, but I'll still end up tying later. I'm often tying up 4 of something I want to try too.
I put a lot in the trees and bushes, and leave a few on the bottom though, at least as many as the fish ruin.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
I tie when I am low on classics or I get inspired. Maybe a I see a new pattern or will be hitting a new fishery.

One thing I am never inspired to tie is dries and nymphs. Not sure why. I love dry fly fishing. Too frustratingly small, I lose way to many of them and I am just not very good at it.

I wonder if I’ll ever pick it up. For now I remain very jealous of people that do it well, while at the same time being very content giving them my money to do so for me.....

Did I see your boat in the Thriftway parking lot in Kingston a couple hours ago?

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
I hope not....maybe I better take a peek outside and make sure it’s still under the carport...ha.

Haha OK, just curious. Ran into Kingston earlier and there was a very new 17' Whaler in your same blue color sitting in that parking lot. Almost pulled in to see if it was you so I could check out the boat. Don't see that color too often

Mike Bacca

I tie everyday for about 3 hours in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. I usually tie approximately 10 dozen a day. Then in the summer I don't tie at all unless I sell most or all of the stock I have, then just to replenish. My boss once had a trip planned to the San Juan in New Mexico and I tied 70 dozen flies in a week, then the trip was cancelled and I had a huge stock of flies of which I have so far sold most of those.

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
After tying for 40 years, more often when I was younger, I have enough to last my life time. Many I will never use. LOL.

I have about a dozen ' go to ' flies and need to replenish them once in awhile. I no longer tie size 18 or smaller.

When on fly fishing trips I will tie during the afternoon when fishing slows down. Also have a beer or two. Not sure what is more important. Maybe the nap... LOL.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts