NFR Wolf tracked in Central California

Robert Engleheart

Robert
WFF Supporter

This is fascinating! This boy was tracked to an agriculture area in central Fresno county. Not the Sierra. Sure hope some overzealous idiot doesn’t shoot him. He was fitted with a collar in June, 2019 or 2020 as a pup and member of the White River pack in Oregon. Conflicting years of collar, but still, quite the traveler.
Now, what should I be carrying on my next fishing trip to the Kings River

This is fascinating! This boy was tracked to an agriculture area in central Fresno county. Not the Sierra. Sure hope some overzealous idiot doesn’t shoot him. He was fitted with a collar in June, 2019 or 2020 as a pup and member of the White River pack in Oregon. Conflicting years of collar, but still, quite the traveler.
A female wolf?

John svah

That's interesting about the purple collar. I live in Nevada County adjacent to USFS land. One night we saw a giant wolf "dog trotting through our neighborhood" My wife and I said "oh it has a purple collar so must be some new neighbor's new mountain dog." (Seeing a lot of that these days with the Covid exodus out of the cities)
We had OR 54 come through some of the properties we manage if memory serves. Crazy, 93 is down in ag land.
OT but we also had Ca's only wolverine on one of the properties we manage. I missed seeing if by a few minutes. That property's caretaker said "I just saw the wierdest cross between a bear a dog and a pig scoot across the meadow" and when we checked the game camera logs his sighting was between two game cameras. (Independence Lake for those of you familiar with Norcal fisheries)

Last edited:

snarlac

A camera.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
Wolf has nothing to worry about so long as he’s not trying to sell his drugs on the coyotes’ turf, if my entire childhood and adolescence in Fresno has taught me anything.
Maybe he should just do like you and get the hell outta there!

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter

I don't mind a wolf traveling a long ways looking for love. Just as long as a grizzly doesn't do the same.

Riffling Hitch

That's interesting about the purple collar. I live in Nevada County adjacent to USFS land. One night we saw a giant wolf "dog trotting through our neighborhood" My wife and I said "oh it has a purple collar so must be some new neighbor's new mountain dog." (Seeing a lot of that these days with the Covid exodus out of the cities)
We had OR 54 come through some of the properties we manage if memory serves. Crazy, 93 is down in ag land.
OT but we also had Ca's only wolverine on one of the properties we manage. I missed seeing if by a few minutes. That property's caretaker said "I just saw the wierdest cross between a bear a dog and a pig scoot across the meadow" and when we checked the game camera logs his sighting was between two game cameras. (Independence Lake for those of you familiar with Norcal fisheries)
I haven't seen one of the wolves yet but I did see that Wolverine cross in front of me a few years back. Quite a bit west of Independence lake. They have quite a large home range.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts