Total Newbie

Caspore

I’m pretty much brand new to the fishing world. I have fished regularly with bait before, but never seriously and I’ve never gone fly fishing. I live on the western Puget Sound and I’m most interested in catching salmon, trout and flounder (I assume fly fishing isn’t the best choice for flounder). I’m also pretty curious as to if I should even pick up fly fishing for what I want to do, and if so, what kind of rod I should get. And last question, if I wanted to fish on saltwater beaches along puget sound, could I use the same gear to fish in lakes/streams/etc? Help would be very much appreciated.

Caspore

Others here are most expert than I, but I recommend:
1. 9 foot 6 weight rod.
2. Intermediate sinking line like a Rio Coastal Quickshooter.
3. Waders
4. Stripping Basket
5. Spool of 8lb fluorocarbon
6. A casting lesson at your local fly shop. They can also set you up with the above (though you'll save money buying used) and a handful of flies.
Thanks everyone for all the helpful replies. Since I started this thread I picked up a 6wt echo carbon rod and ion reel, as well as line and leader. I also found a pretty awesome set of flies for 7 bucks at goodwill (pictures included). I took a trip to the illahee beach to practice casting, and I didn’t catch anything, but I am starting to get the hang of casting and got it out maybe 20ish feet on my best cast. A9574079-2D6D-465B-BF59-87E2528ED7F0.jpeg C09A6B34-4740-4239-B4E8-850156AFCB04.jpeg 09F2BEFA-D0E9-49EB-9BCC-D54E16FA982D.jpeg

BriGuy

You're well on your way. Now that you are equipped, try to figure out where the fish will be. Easier said than done, but once I started watching for changes in currents, bubbles and water texture, I started to have more luck. Sometimes the current can really rip -- especially, in MA 13. It's often like fishing a river.

Killer find on the flies!

Good luck.

Zak

WFF Supporter
WFF Supporter
Thanks everyone for all the helpful replies. Since I started this thread I picked up a 6wt echo carbon rod and ion reel, as well as line and leader. I also found a pretty awesome set of flies for 7 bucks at goodwill (pictures included). I took a trip to the illahee beach to practice casting, and I didn’t catch anything, but I am starting to get the hang of casting and got it out maybe 20ish feet on my best cast. View attachment 280512 View attachment 280513 View attachment 280514
Nice score on the flies!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts