Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Total Newbie

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Zak 
#1 ·
I’m pretty much brand new to the fishing world. I have fished regularly with bait before, but never seriously and I’ve never gone fly fishing. I live on the western Puget Sound and I’m most interested in catching salmon, trout and flounder (I assume fly fishing isn’t the best choice for flounder). I’m also pretty curious as to if I should even pick up fly fishing for what I want to do, and if so, what kind of rod I should get. And last question, if I wanted to fish on saltwater beaches along puget sound, could I use the same gear to fish in lakes/streams/etc? Help would be very much appreciated.

#2 ·
Welcome, IMHO salt water fishing and fly fishing are two different animals. That is with the exception of beach casting flys to Searun Cutthroat. Flounder are bottom feeders so that isn't fly fishing. For salmon you're gonna need a boat or casting rods for the beach.

Fly fishing is mostly stillwater with a few exceptions. The Yakima is one of a couple of rivers where you can catch trout.

Then there's Eastern Washington, lots of trout opportunities there, but again, mostly stillwater.

Do you have any gear at all at this time? If so, whatcha got?

You can find lots of used gear on the Classified's. Start out simple and see how it goes...

@Tim Lockhart has written two books on stillwater tactics, pick one up!

Roper

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum! The first saltwater fly rod fish I caught, @Roper, was a flounder :D - Sinclair Inlet right across from the shipyard. it was a feat I've never tried to repeat.

Caspore - use the search function on this website and look for discussions along the line you're questioning WFF on. Short answer from personal experience - I used an 8 weight fly rod for everything when I first started out fly fishing . Could not afford multiple rods. I caught SRC, trout, one flounder, coho, one blackmouth and a few steelhead on that rod. The rod was really too much rod for trout and SRC. Enjoy doing some research, part of the fun of fly fishing. Good luck.
Patrick

#5 ·
Salmon, searun cutts and flounder are all catchable off the beaches. Resident silvers are fairly abundant and this is a pink year and are catchable off beaches.

A 6 weight rod will serve your needs.

I strongly suggest getting some casting lessons from the get go. It will save you a lot of head aches. If lessons from a shop you should be able to try several rods which will help you in making your selection.

Dave

#7 ·
If you don't already have them, you'll want some waders. Many beaches will not afford you much back cast room -- even at lower tides. Also, get a stripping basket. It really helps you manage your line and keeps it off the rough rocks, barnacles and oyster shells.

Just about any regular trout setup will work for SRC. Floating line does, too. However, if you get a sinking line, you'll really want that stripping basket.

Happy hunting!

#8 ·
Welcome, IMHO salt water fishing and fly fishing are two different animals. That is with the exception of beach casting flys to Searun Cutthroat. Flounder are bottom feeders so that isn't fly fishing. For salmon you're gonna need a boat or casting rods for the beach.

Fly fishing is mostly stillwater with a few exceptions. The Yakima is one of a couple of rivers where you can catch trout.

Then there's Eastern Washington, lots of trout opportunities there, but again, mostly stillwater.

Do you have any gear at all at this time? If so, whatcha got?

You can find lots of used gear on the Classified's. Start out simple and see how it goes...

@Tim Lockhart has written two books on stillwater tactics, pick one up!

Roper
I don't have any gear at the moment, but my very kind grandmother has offered to buy me a rod and a reel, she doesn't seem too concerned with price either. I don't really know what I need though, I've read some on the various rod weights and I think a 6 or 7 weight would be best for what I want to do. Could you make any recommendations?

#11 ·
(I assume fly fishing isn't the best choice for flounder).
Oh, with a sinking line you can get in to lots of flounder. In fact, @Irafly has made it somewhat of a specialty of his.

As for the rest, yes you absolutely should take up fly fishing. There's a wealth of information on this site (search for sea run cutthroat or src, for example), and the advice folks have given you here is great.

#16 ·
Others here are most expert than I, but I recommend:
1. 9 foot 6 weight rod.
2. Intermediate sinking line like a Rio Coastal Quickshooter.
3. Waders
4. Stripping Basket
5. Spool of 8lb fluorocarbon
6. A casting lesson at your local fly shop. They can also set you up with the above (though you'll save money buying used) and a handful of flies.
Thanks everyone for all the helpful replies. Since I started this thread I picked up a 6wt echo carbon rod and ion reel, as well as line and leader. I also found a pretty awesome set of flies for 7 bucks at goodwill (pictures included). I took a trip to the illahee beach to practice casting, and I didn't catch anything, but I am starting to get the hang of casting and got it out maybe 20ish feet on my best cast.
Ingredient Plant Food Publication Fruit
Material property Art Feather Automotive lighting Visual arts
Rectangle Glass Creative arts Transparent material Metal

#18 ·
Thanks everyone for all the helpful replies. Since I started this thread I picked up a 6wt echo carbon rod and ion reel, as well as line and leader. I also found a pretty awesome set of flies for 7 bucks at goodwill (pictures included). I took a trip to the illahee beach to practice casting, and I didn't catch anything, but I am starting to get the hang of casting and got it out maybe 20ish feet on my best cast. View attachment 280512 View attachment 280513 View attachment 280514
Nice score on the flies!

#17 ·
You're well on your way. Now that you are equipped, try to figure out where the fish will be. Easier said than done, but once I started watching for changes in currents, bubbles and water texture, I started to have more luck. Sometimes the current can really rip -- especially, in MA 13. It's often like fishing a river.

Killer find on the flies!

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.