Hotspotting Dilemma

dfg

I want to tell you about my day on the river, to bring you there with me, right next to me in the water or just downstream, but moving upstream in unison with me, casting, drifting and casting again.

I’m fed by the solitude, although at the same time I want to share it, to make it all the more real. Did you just see that or did I imagine it? Were those mink or baby otters that came right up to me, not five feet away in the downed brush? Was that really an 18 incher?

What fly are you using? Has that one been hot since we got here? What else have you tried? Are your waders still dry? Can you really see your fly even in the glare of the sun’s reflection? How do the fish all know when it’s time to stop biting all at once? When I’m on the river I’m often full of simple wonder, like a four-year-old asking why, why, why. What a gift to be given and to receive!

There is something so clean and still about standing in the river, casting to the possibility of fish. Thoughts stilling; musical ear-worms looping endlessly. This next cast might be the one. Or maybe this one.

I was not taught fly fishing as a kid – I stumbled into it as an adult and never even had a chance against the instant attraction. What is it that brings me such inner peace, despite the pulse-raising scrambles down scree banks, navigating slick river rock, standing for hours with slowly numbing toes in the current?

Fed by the changing moods of the light, I love watching the shadows seep across the canyon walls. Sometimes fellow anglers float by, in complete silence with a nod or a wave, our mutual obsession our bond. Standing in the river somehow confers the privilege of being part of the landscape.

I want you to be with me there, if only in the telling, but I know that the next time I get to my spot you will have already taken it, leaving me standing on the bank while big fish rise and splash to take your fly.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
I value trusted fishing buddies who share my love and respect for beautiful places, who I will act as ghillie for on their first time to a special place, offering up the not so obvious lies where fish have repeatedly been eager to eat a fly, for them to work first. I enjoy the pleasant conversation between two individuals who share common interests, who enjoy spending time with each other. Talking about that and other places, the now experience, life in general... yet still giving each other space to become immersed in the awesome beauty where wild trout thrive. And reciprocal trips :)

Last edited:

Gyrfalcon21

Honoring Vets
I'd give you the shirt off my back, half my French fries to a girl I'm serious about dating..but no way am I giving up the best spots I enjoy going fishing solo. You can never get back solitude, can only become one's own worst enemy!

Jim Travers will tell you about the out of doors.. STAY OUT!! NO Fun! Go back to Car Shows and Sock Hopp'n, peoples!
You will get COLD and Hungry FAST!! STAY HOME!!!!
Leave the river runn'n to real MT MEN!! the Josey Wales of the WORLD!!

Seriously, savor the solitude. It will change soon enough.

dfg

If the fish were always where you exprcted them to be and the always took the fly I susect that much of the magic would disappear. (Remeber the song by Talking Heads called Heaven?) For me much of the intrigue is about casting to the possibility of fish; not the certainty.

BC33

Share all the great details with a select few who you trust to keep things on the DL.....private messaging is great.....keeping things pretty vague on a public forum is the way to go, imo.

dfg

Love Heaven and Talking Heads.

If you haven't already, do yourself a favor and listen to Panic's cover. Houser and that lingering lead...so good.

Listen to the whole thing for an awesome segue or skip to 10:10 for Heaven.

Loved that! The slow burning blues in the first song brought me back to one of the finest all-time live albums (imo) the Allman Bros at Filmore East. Thanks for that breath of fresh air!

dustinchromers

Love Heaven and Talking Heads.

If you haven't already, do yourself a favor and listen to Panic's cover. Houser and that lingering lead...so good.

Listen to the whole thing for an awesome segue or skip to 10:10 for Heaven.

The Talking Heads make me think of the movie Wall Street. The battle for Bud Fox's soul in a grey world where greed could possibly be good. I'm almost certain it is when concerning less traveled waters of quality.

GAT

Dumbfounded
No photos and it didn't happen … :)

Once I switch to Stillwater fly fishing I don't worry about hot spotting. All the lakes and reservoirs I fish are already well known … even so, for some odd reason, there are Stillwater fisheries I fish where I never see a fly angler yet flies do work as well, if not better, than anything else.

Fly anglers drive right by these fisheries but never stop … I know I was one of them for years.

Meh. I finally stopped and fished after ignoring the obvious for a very long time. Would it be considered hot spotting to tell fly anglers they are driving right by a great flyfishing fishery? Or should I leave it up to them to finally figure it out as I did ...

triploidjunkie

No photos and it didn't happen … :)

Once I switch to Stillwater fly fishing I don't worry about hot spotting. All the lakes and reservoirs I fish are already well known … even so, for some odd reason, there are Stillwater fisheries I fish where I never see a fly angler yet flies do work as well, if not better, than anything else.

Fly anglers drive right by these fisheries but never stop … I know I was one of them for years.

Meh. I finally stopped and fished after ignoring the obvious for a very long time. Would it be considered hot spotting to tell fly anglers they are driving right by a great flyfishing fishery? Or should I leave it up to them to finally figure it out as I did ...
You're spot on, Gat. Fly fishermen just don't seem to know any better. They'll drive right by five or six GREAT lakes, to get to something like fricken Chopaka :rolleyes:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts