Baja flies

SERE Nate

Headed to La Ventana May 11-18. 3 days on a panga and 3 days from the beach. I'm planing on spending a day at the lighthouse as well.

Really hoping for a quality rooster fish and Dorado so I can get a replica mount.

What flies are your must haves? Ordered a bunch of materials, getting ready to start tying.

BN2FSH

I have done very well on Jonny King hoo flies. Tie them from 4 inches down to two. Colors are tan/white, grey/white. chartreuse/white, rust or rootbeer/white, olive/white. Deceivers also work well. There are plenty of others but this will get you started.

I caught lots of Jack's and some other stuff off of the beach in front of our resort a couple years back on small (calf tail) chartreuse/white clousers. I wouldn't be without a bunch of those. That sand is course, casting from the beach beat the flies up pretty good. Good luck, sounds like a fun trip!

SERE Nate

Tied up some tuna tuxedo flies while I'm waiting for my supplies to get here.

Attachments

• received_298644561630104.jpeg
    received_298644561630104.jpeg
    458.4 KB · Views: 39

Chromer J

If chasing big roosters from the beach, larger flies fashioned after mullet are a good choice: Mona Lisa, Rasta, Chivo lisa, large deceivers...

Toss them on a 10 wt with a rio tropical outbound short with clear/intermediate tip.

Steve Saville

WFF Supporter
Those will do nicely. As PevVela posted, anything that looks like that. His is a perfect example. I've boated many Dorado with a fly like that, on an intermediate line, on my five trips to Mexico.

Matt B

WFF Supporter
Tied up some tuna tuxedo flies while I'm waiting for my supplies to get here.
Those look good. When I was settling on a pattern for the tuna fly swap I tied a fly a 2/0 with that size mask (I think, it looks about the same proportions) and I decided I didn't like how with the mask, it looked like it does make the overall hook gap a little smaller. So I went back to eyes epoxied on. On larger hooks I think I'm still cool with the mask. It sure makes getting those eyes on a lot easier!

Mems

You might be a little early for mahi, but they are catching huge yellowtail right now. For the roosters a two handed retrieve is the ticket. I would have a variety of sizes, ok to have a bait fish smaller that the bait around, but not larger. Good luck.

SilverFly

If chasing big roosters from the beach, larger flies fashioned after mullet are a good choice: Mona Lisa, Rasta, Chivo lisa, large deceivers...

Toss them on a 10 wt with a rio tropical outbound short with clear/intermediate tip.

Ditto on mullet patterns. Sardina patterns weren't cutting it for us - at least with bigger roosters. On our last day my boat buddy and I fished this mullet pattern which accounted for a pair of 30# roosters and the 55# in my avatar.

20190604_231117 (1).jpg

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts