filson foul weather vest

jfilip85

Considering this vest.

Any reviews on it from someone who fishes a spey rod most of the time? Wondering about the front pouches hindering casting motion and running line hang up.

David Loy

Senior Moment
I have one and like it, but usually opt for a different vest or small chest pack. But to your question, one thing that surprised me was that when swinging a Spey rod, the Filson was never in my way. So, I think it works fine, and it’s old school cool ;-). Right or wrong, when swinging the Spey rods my arm path seems to be just below the FW vest, so it works. Some will like sling packs better, but I like having my active stuff in front.
All that said, I’m usually fishing a single hander these days.

Last edited:

jfilip85

I have one and like it, but usually opt for a different vest or small chest pack. But to your question, one thing that surprised me was that when swinging a Spey rod, the Filson was never in my way. So, I think it works fine, and it’s old school cool ;-). Right or wrong, when swinging the Spey rods my arm path seems to be just below the FW vest, so it works. Some will like sling packs better, but I like having my active stuff in front.
All that said, I’m usually fishing a single hander these days.

Thanks, David.

That's very helpful!

moon1284

Never had any issue with it but I dont keep it super full. I like that I can adjust it so it rides high enough to stay out of the water if I wade deep.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts