A Story, Found: Flies on the Yak and Golf

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
Golf became much more fun when I finally learned how to score. You see for the longest time I would count every stroke I took and sometimes I added strokes when I hit the ball out of bounds or into a water hazard. When I learned that what you should really do is start with three balls at the start of each hole and if you end the hole with three balls, you just hit par. If you find one on the way, well that’s a birdie! Hell I’ve ended some rounds like 30 under par.

Today I decided to apply the same logic to the Yakima. I wasn’t really that interested in fishing the Yakima today, but I was in Central Washington after fishing a lake on Saturday and the big W forecast for today had me scrambling for a plan B. I knew a spot that has held fish in the past that I could fish from shore, so why not.

It was a gorgeous morning and I was at least hopeful for a good day, but right away, I drop a nymph while I was trying to tie it on. Even after a fun little adventure on my hands and knees looking for it, I struck out, so I’m already at bogey and I haven’t even made a cast. I grab another nymph and dang it, it has a barb and my hemostats is are back in the car. Well scratch that fly off the list, I’ll call that a practice swing. I found a winner and started fishing...to what must have been dead water, because no one was home. Then the indicator plunged and I set up on a beautiful snag. Double bogey.

Well, crap. No fish, down two flies and the best water has been sloshed up good. Time to move down river a bit and what is this? A big limb hanging over the river right above a beautiful slot and is that a pats stone dangling there at the very end? Surely I can reach that, right? Nope, but maybe I could procure one of the other 8 or so that are also plastered on the same limb and branches.

Well, I placed my rod on the bank and waded out. Funny how a limb can be only a few feet off the surface of the water but otherwise completely out of reach once you are actually standing in the water. Unperturbed, I sized up the situation and attempt to jump up and grab the limb hoping that it would give enough that I could scale it to the end. I was starting to understand now why other bank fisherman might have left those flies alone. The prospect of hitting under par though drove me on. A long stick with a broken off branch at the end makes a fairly effective hook of sorts and when applied correctly at the right angle can be used to break off other branches that happen to also be encrusted with fresh out of the fly shop bin flies. If you then take a couple of quick steps down stream you can pluck that branch up and reap the bounty.

That first haul gifted me with four beauts! Rinse repeat and two more came to hand. Reminded me a bit of the rewards I could summon in the rough off of hole 4 at my local course.

In away, I guess this is just a round (Get it, “A Round) about way of saying that even though I ended the day four under par, I got skunked and I might have found your flies. Tell me where the limb was and what your flies were and I’ll get them back to you

Last edited:

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
The closet's I ever been to a golf course was when I was driving passed it. I've driven passed a lot of them.

NW_flyfisher

if it's not this, then what?
Years ago when I lived in Salt Lake City, UT I was at the driving range and a regular said he hadn’t seen me for several weeks. I told him that I had been fly fishing and that it was less frustrating. Ira, you made fly fishing sound frustrating!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts